Gransnet forums

News & politics

As the hysterical left weep into their lattes...

(507 Posts)
thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 06:45:30

Well said, Libby Purves and Peter Tatchell! Tatchell is quoted as saying "The left must listen to Brexit supporters and their concerns. Very wrong to dismiss them all as racists and xenophobes". Of those anguished 'hysterical lefties': "many of them mean well [ouch!] yet elitism erupted like a poisoned boil". Superb!

Elitism. The other thing the hysterical left whine about when they're not too busy calling anyone who doesn't agree with them a bigot. Yes. Quite. In spite of my high level of education, and my husband's, we both "get it" in a way that many with similar backgrounds don't seem to. Perhaps we still feel a connect to those of our families who were at the runt end of society only two generations ago. Perhaps we understand better the effect of "arrogant, incompetent Brussels institutions, and the decades when governments neglected inequality".

Purves does not skim over actual racism at all, but she says quite rightly that the vast majority of people are not racists or xenophobes. She's right.

Thank you, Libby Purves.

thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 07:04:21

Actually, with mrB's family, it's only one generation ago.

Anya Mon 27-Jun-16 07:08:48

Well just about says it all. Thank you Bags

Alea Mon 27-Jun-16 07:09:32

Libby Purves- refreshing with a hefty dollop of common sense as always!

thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 07:14:32

[[http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/give-gove-the-power-to-prepare-for-brexit-now-mlnl59l3n?shareToken=38a69bf5d69ad148cac23963cd82dd47 Matt Ridley says "the rest of the world needs to hear as clearly as possible that we are leaving the EU not to be isolationist but the reverse: for the sake of global engagement".

He is very politely critical of Cameron copping out of being in charge of the exiting process and says that power to run that process should be given to Michael Gove, Danial Hannan, and Gisela Stuart. It is certainly Cameron's duty to either run it or give the power to run it to others straight away.

thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 07:15:27

opps! forgot to close the link thingy: The Article

thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 07:16:36

It really is refreshing, isn't it, alea? Cool, calm, rationality wins with me always.

G'morning, anya, too.

Luckylegs9 Mon 27-Jun-16 07:17:56

Fed up with keep hearing about racism, over 17 million people that voted out are not racists, just didn't want Brussels overturning our laws and want sovereignty back. Places like Birmingham, with the most diverse people voted out, so that squashes that argument, think some some the remain want to rehash the debate and not work together to get this country successful in its own right.

ginny Mon 27-Jun-16 07:30:21

Many of those who voted out should also realise that not all remain voters are elitist either. I and many of my family and friends voted to remain and all come from very ordinary backgrounds. My decision was long thought about and I am not 'hysterical' about the outcome but very concerned. I will be pleased if I am proved wrong iny thinking.

suzied Mon 27-Jun-16 07:38:36

"Hysterical left weeping into their lattes " is offensive stereotyping, just what you are complaining about. Just as the racist graffiti and cards stuffed through letterboxes. " we voted leave go home Polish vermin" which has been reported today. No one says all leave voters are racist, but those racists out there certainly voted leave.

Nana3 Mon 27-Jun-16 07:48:41

I read the article and Libby Purves has my respect.
I get it completely that vulnerable people have been let down by our past and present governments, but I don't blame the EU and voted remain, many people obviously did blame the EU and voted leave.
I do not like name calling by anyone including people in the arts being referred to as luvvies.
I am worried now, there is no one with any obvious, necessary skills coming up with any solution. I usually try not to worry about things I can do nothing about.

kittylester Mon 27-Jun-16 07:53:53

Thank you so much for your post, bags. I do hope it (and the links!) is widely read.

thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 08:06:43

George Monbiot is talking _democratic_ sense too. 1/3

2/3

3/3

It's really a great relief to find that all lefties are not hysterical. Yes, that word is possibly an exaggeration sometimes but I was beginning to wonder if I was fatally out on a limb on this. No, I'm not. I'm still a balanced, well-educated, fairly old person who cares about democracy and about the fate and worries and carewornness of people less fortunate than me.

thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 08:10:58

To those pointing out that they are not being hysterical, I say good. Of course Purves and Tatchell are not talking about everybody who voted Remain, just a swathe of the people they mix with. That should be self-evident, but someone had to tell those who are being OTT to stop calling Brexiters racists and xenophobes. It simply isn't true.

Even actors call themselves luvvies. I don't think they dislike the term on the whole nor do I think it is meant to be insulting.

thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 08:12:52

As a Brexiter, I'm worried about the future too. Worry isn't the preserve of Remainers. It is a big political decision that has been made. Obviously it will have, I hope, resounding repercussions. Hopefully, in the long term, they will be good ones. Time will tell.

Ginny42 Mon 27-Jun-16 08:13:46

Well now you see I find being categorised as a hysterical lefty very offensive and I've never had a latte in my life. However, let me explain...

I have almost certainly lost my job, as it was directly funded from Europe with Erasmus grants. My daughter's job is possibly going to be affected too, but we're waiting to see how that works out. My job created other jobs providing accommodation and services for people who stayed in the UK whilst studying. They love shopping and travelling in their spare time,so this will result in a loss of earnings for others.

My daughter and her husband live and work in Europe and have adopted a young child who became an 'immigrant' overnight last Thursday.

Already that has had a big impact on my small family. I'm finding it hard to be positive and am fearful of how I will cope with the loss of earnings. That does not make me hysterical or a lefty. This is one occasion when I shall be delighted to be proved wrong if none of my fears come to pass.

daphnedill Mon 27-Jun-16 08:27:03

Oh dear! Is this part of Project Divide?

annsixty Mon 27-Jun-16 08:28:41

It is personal stories of those like Ginny that make us realise the impact on some.
I don't think Remain would have produced the same sad stories as things would have been very much the same.

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 08:29:20

I think this is what will do for Jeremy Corbyn in the end.
He was supposed to care all about the downtrodden poor. But when it came to it, he campaigned in opposition to them. Dangerous for him, and I am not sure they will forgive him for that.
And where will they put their votes next time around? [not sure it would be UKIP] I dont know what happens to UKIP now.

I have always thought that this referendum will do more damage to the Labour Party than to the Tories. The Tories have always been divided over the EU, so nothing new at all.

durhamjen Mon 27-Jun-16 08:29:24

I only drink black coffee.
Hope it has the repercussions you want, bags. Any you do not want, it's your fault for voting to leave.

daphnedill Mon 27-Jun-16 08:31:53

How will the downtrodden poor benefit from leaving the EU?

durhamjen Mon 27-Jun-16 08:34:29

Sorry, obieone, 63% of Labour voters voted with Corbyn. Are you saying that the other 37% are the downtrodden poor?
What do you think the downtrodden poor are going to gain from leaving the EU?
Just heard Heseltine say that Boris and Gove have to lead the government and do the trading over our rights with the EU. Otherwise they will be able to disown the damage that they have done. Is Heseltine an anguished hysterical lefty?

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 08:36:03

There would likely have been much more frightening outcomes annsixty. Could still be, especially in Europe. Not sure how much brakes this has applied to the EU grand plans. Probably just a pause.

Sorry about your job Ginny42 and situation. Hope you get another job.

petra Mon 27-Jun-16 08:38:00

You never were wrong bags I'm not an 'educated' person, as some would say. I had to leave school at 14 because of awful family circumstances. But I was fortunate enough to get some very good breaks and be in the right place at the right time which led us to the very comfortable position we are in now. But I've never lost touch with who I am and can still relate to what it's like to have nothing.

trisher Mon 27-Jun-16 08:38:40

Can I say that I am also just one generation away from "the runt end of society" (isn't that a bit judgemental?) And although I don't suppose that most of the Brexiters are racist but there is a substantial element that are, and to deny this is just as bad as saying, Brexiters are all racist, or all Remainers are lefties and drink lattes (does this include Cameron?). If you have doubts about the racism and xenophobia around I invite you to come into our city centre and stand and listen to the rants of the EDL when they hold a demonstration. The language and comments are disgusting and are made even more shocking as many of those passing by are foreign university students. What they think of us I can't imagine.
My son works in the arts and the loss of EU money will devastate the creative sector.