Gransnet forums

News & politics

Istanbul airport attack

(19 Posts)
glenda Wed 29-Jun-16 09:16:08

Just read about the attack at Ataturk airport. It happened last night and 36 people have been killed (that we know of). The world really is a scary scary place.

twiggy Wed 29-Jun-16 09:39:08

Just awful. I can't begin to imagine the hell those poor families are going through just now. How terrifying. A friend of mine (who did something on Facebook that showed everyone he was safe, much to our relief) was due to fly out of the airport this morning.

LullyDully Wed 29-Jun-16 10:20:56

All these places have learned to rely on the money from tourism and have worked hard to build the industry on their natural resources. This can be destroyed in seconds along with all those lives......shocking.

Nain9bach Wed 29-Jun-16 11:15:27

It is the good people of Turkey that suffer. Such a great shame.

Phoebes Wed 29-Jun-16 11:55:05

When I went to turkey some years ago, the Turks were so kind and absolutely delightful. what have they done to deserve this?

annemac101 Wed 29-Jun-16 12:27:23

It's just awful. I go nearly every year to Turkey and I've never seen any sign of trouble. I feel safe walking out at night and everyone I've met have been lovely. It pains me to say that we have decided not to go this year. We go to a small village and I am sure we would still be safe there but it's the airports I worry about,although security is good and you have to go through security to even get into the airport but as shown last night they can still cause as much damage outside terminal building. My heart goes out to everyone involved and those who have lost family. This has hardly been reported on British tv which I think is appalling,obviously there's been no Britons hurt or killed or news would be all over it.

LullyDully Wed 29-Jun-16 13:05:44

It is the main subject on the news so far.

loopylou Wed 29-Jun-16 13:37:10

Hideous news.
My DD flew out of there yesterday morning, she says the security was as rigorous as ever, making it even more worrying. She's going back via Attaturk airport in two weeks.........

Marion6 Wed 29-Jun-16 13:42:43

I feel so very deeply saddened by what has happened at Ataturk Airport. Apart from many holidays in Turkey I have been there three times for work ( delivering training courses for teachers)and every visit has been a very positive experience.Due to concerns about safety issues I will not be going to Turkey for a holiday or work this year, which I think will be the decision of many people, and I feel very concerned for all the Turkish people whose work is in the tourist industry.

Granof11 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:15:08

Deeply saddened by this tragedy and its far reaching consequences both for the victims and for all the good people who make visitors welcome to Turkey. They are in my thoughts and prayers today.

breeze Wed 29-Jun-16 17:49:33

I think the lack of posts on this speaks volumes. It's so utterly, heart breakingly, tragic, but people are all out of any answers as to how you deal with such evil. My heart goes out, again, to the victims of such extremism. God bless them.

MagicWriter2016 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:59:37

Heartbreaking! I loved the Turks when we went over there twice, they were so friendly and could not do enough for you. Shame they are getting targeted like that!

Luckygirl Wed 29-Jun-16 18:05:09

sad

nanafriday Wed 29-Jun-16 19:31:41

It's a terrible tragedy, my SIL, was due to fly out of there this morning, so glad he didn't his trip was put back until Sunday, thankfully, he is now flying a different route, that doesn't though detract from the terrible devastation, for everyone involved, my heart goes out to them.

millymouge Wed 29-Jun-16 22:24:51

I feel so very sorry for Turkey, they rely so much on the tourists for their livelihood. We have spent very many happy holidays in Turkey, the people are so friendly and kind. However at the moment we don't feel that we would feel happy going again just at the moment.

grannyactivist Thu 30-Jun-16 00:03:43

So sad for all those holidaymakers and business people going about their lives when such devastation occurs. sad

NanaandGrampy Thu 30-Jun-16 08:37:17

I may have missed something in regard to this terrible attack but there doesn't seem to have been the huge outpourings of support globally that followed both the Paris and Belgian attacks.... or have I just not seen it amongst the political furore?

sunseeker Thu 30-Jun-16 10:17:30

I read a comment that ISIS (or whatever they are calling themselves these days) want to ruin the tourist industry which would force the population to become jihadists - I don't see the logic in that myself. This was an attack on defenceless people going about their day. Once again the cowardly leaders of ISIS send young men to kill themselves whilst they hide in bunkers - I doubt very much if they ever send any of their own children. It's impossible to express how sad I feel for the victims and the people of Turkey.

breeze Thu 30-Jun-16 14:51:58

Not a lot of logic involved re IS. But they've managed to ruin the Tunisian tourist industry. When I was listening to radio on hols, very articulate head of security in Iraq, can't remember his name, said they could be rendered incapable of functioning within months, if not weeks with a 3 pronged plan. If all nations pulled together to firstly freeze their finances, then hit them all together with military action to break up the training camps and hidey holes (he said all of this much better than I am!), then huge push to put a stop to potential new recruits being radicalised in our schools/colleges. When I think of this, I think of the film Independence Day, where the president of the U.S. stands in front of the glass imploringly asking can we not find peace, what is it you want of us, and Alien replies 'To Die, Just Die'. Even if we all said 'OK then. We'll all become like you' It wouldn't be good enough because we're already 'tainted' in their eyes. No win situation. You can only try to eradicate it, there is no reasoning with. My heart breaks with sadness for those who have died, and those who have life changing injuries, and those who will never sleep easy again for the nightmares. It's not a war, it's 'sneaky' slaughter of the innocent.