Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dallas police shooting

(77 Posts)
Gogogran Fri 08-Jul-16 08:06:51

5 police officers dead. An organised group of snipers. This is terrible. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36742835 I completely agree that some of the police have behaved horrifically recently, but this is...I have no words. Innocent people who are killed as a result of their jobs. I am in awe of anyone who's work requires them to put themselves so obviously in harm's way. sad

Anniebach Fri 08-Jul-16 08:13:06

Sadly it is not unusual for people when are denied justice will seek justice themselves

Police offices shot for doing their job is no more tragic than people being shot because their skin is black.

Gogogran Fri 08-Jul-16 08:17:09

Agreed both are tragedies and deserve repercussions but these police officers were there protecting the protesters.

Anniebach Fri 08-Jul-16 08:19:10

What were they protecting the protestors from?

petitpois Fri 08-Jul-16 08:28:15

Oh Anniebach Rallies, huge groups of protesters - police are always there to make sure peaceful protests stay that way and violence doesn't break out and innocent/vulnerable protesters get hurt.

The events that led to this are too terrible and I'm glad it was all over the news yesterday but so awful that even more people (black/white/police/non-police/whoever) had to lose their lives now.

Anniebach Fri 08-Jul-16 08:40:41

petitlois, if the police applied the law to themselves they would have no need to protect protestors who are protesting against police being free to murder

Marmark1 Fri 08-Jul-16 08:43:06

It's debatable that they were shot because they were black.We don't know if they were guilty of anything.Even in the US,police don't go around shooting people just because they're black.Not solely because they're black.

Gononsuch Fri 08-Jul-16 08:46:09

I watched that clip , where the 2 police officers held the man down, 1 pulled out his gun and just shot him, unbelievable.

Gononsuch Fri 08-Jul-16 08:47:28

Anniebach, the police are the law.

Anniebach Fri 08-Jul-16 08:49:53

No Gonosuch, the police are paid to uphold the law

GandTea Fri 08-Jul-16 08:50:11

Such a tragedian, not only the officers killed but the deaths leading up to this. How America can halt this tit for tat killing is difficult to imagine. This race hatred is so ingrained in some Americans. I worked in Georgia for a while, horrid atmosphere regarding black v white.

Christinefrance Fri 08-Jul-16 08:51:09

I agree with Marmark 1 we don't know the details fully yet, I do know from personal experience there is a lot of overt racism in parts of USA. The media contribute to the hysteria in no small way.

GandTea Fri 08-Jul-16 08:51:34

Tragedy

Gononsuch Fri 08-Jul-16 08:51:45

Anniebach, the police are the law.

Anniebach Fri 08-Jul-16 08:55:11

No the police are not the law, they are employed to uphold the law

DaphneBroon Fri 08-Jul-16 08:55:13

Is that ironic gononsuch?
Apologies if I am a bit slow today, I found listening to the conversation yesterday between the woman passenger and the police too chilling .

gogogran innocent people killed as a result of their jobs applies equally to innocent people killed as a result of someone NOT doing the job they have a duty to do properly

Two wrongs make only one thing, two wrongs.

sunseeker Fri 08-Jul-16 09:22:18

We don't know the full details of the killing of the two black en but how can shooting policemen in a different part of the country make it right? Of course there must be a full investigation into the shootings in the cities where they took place. The policemen in Dallas had nothing to do with the original shootings

sunseeker Fri 08-Jul-16 09:24:07

Shooting someone simply because of the colour of their skin is obviously wrong, but so is shooting someone simply because they are wearing a police uniform.

rosesarered Fri 08-Jul-16 09:31:12

annieb is correct in her interpretation, and you are wrong gononsuch police officers are paid by us to uphold the law.....notto take the law into their own hands by doing anything they like. Holding a suspect down on the floor and then shooting him(5 times!) comes into the realms of doing what they like.Which is why police officers were the targets in Dallas.

Anya Fri 08-Jul-16 09:32:07

Shocking.

This gun-happy nation, stirred up to racial hatred and fear by the likes of Trump....as if it wasn't bad enough before.

rosesarered Fri 08-Jul-16 09:33:18

Police officers who act in this way ( in whatever country) make things hard for their fellow officers who behave in a legal and decent way.

rosesarered Fri 08-Jul-16 09:35:49

As sunseeker says, not that it makes it right, it certainly doesn't, but it explains the bad feeling by black people against the police.sad

Gononsuch Fri 08-Jul-16 09:36:33

I've watched that clip again, now tell me what the police are suppose to do.

Anniebach Fri 08-Jul-16 09:38:34

Well said Rosesarered and Anya.

nigglynellie Fri 08-Jul-16 09:40:05

For the second time in a week ab I agree with you!! smile The Police are not the law. Without a doubt they are employed to uphold the law, and I would say that holding somebody on the ground and shooting them through the head killing them is, putting it mildly, breaking the law. Of course whats happened since is quite shocking, but............