Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are Gransnetters just vicious online trolls?

(278 Posts)
madamecholet Thu 14-Jul-16 14:11:19

Well, we are apparently a bunch of bullies on this site:

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3689188/The-vicious-online-trolls-grannies-according-fellow-gran-crossed-unleashed-spite.html

Some poor innocent (who is media savvy enough to get an article published in a national newspaper) is in a state of shock after posting on Gransnet. A whole page in DM basically complaining that she posted on an internet forum and is shocked that not everyone found her as witty and amusing as she clearly thinks she is.

Shame on you grannies for upsetting the poor little flower! On the bright side though, she did manage to get her article published, so that was probably a nice little earner for her.grin

rosesarered Thu 14-Jul-16 14:22:09

Hmmmmn, interesting, I had not heard about this blog or the chat thread concerned, must have a look, to see if she really was bullied.?

daphnedill Thu 14-Jul-16 14:26:39

grin

I always avoid the knitting and broccoli threads, because they're dangerous. hmm

sunseeker Thu 14-Jul-16 14:29:44

I also haven't see the thread she refers to - if you find it roses perhaps you could post a link, then those of us who missed it can judge for ourselves.

madamecholet Thu 14-Jul-16 14:30:59

Here's a link to the thread:

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/a1223294-I-wanna-be-just-like-Uncle-Jimmy-not

TriciaF Thu 14-Jul-16 14:37:33

I don't remember anyone being bullied like that recently, but she does mention Gransnet and names Cari as someone who tried to explain things to her.
Anyway, it wasn't me, Miss who upset you grin I don't think so anyway.

merlotgran Thu 14-Jul-16 14:38:34

I remember her thread about James Middleton. It was ages ago.

Can someone find a link?

TriciaF Thu 14-Jul-16 14:39:17

ps just seen the link to the thread - now I remember.

rosesarered Thu 14-Jul-16 14:43:01

Just read the thread......a storm in a teacup.

merlotgran Thu 14-Jul-16 14:43:41

Thanks, madamecholet

sunseeker Thu 14-Jul-16 14:43:55

Well, having now read the thread, I don't see any evidence of bullying.

madamecholet Thu 14-Jul-16 14:54:08

I think the article is outrageous! Not the text, but those terrible pics of grannies DM have inserted in the online version.shock

Smileless2012 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:58:43

Having read the link, I wouldn't describe any of the posts as bullying but some were unnecessarily unpleasant which sadly doesn't surprise me. Recent activity on the 'Support for family members cut out of loved ones lives' thread in the Relationships forum demonstrates just how unpleasant some posters can be.

We only have to look at you post madamecholet "some poor innocent"; "shocked that not everyone found her as witty and amusing as she clearly thinks she is". That wasn't what shocked her, what shocked her was the hostility of some of the other posters. "Shame on you grannies for upsetting the poor little flower!" If you really felt this was worthy of a sensible discussion why did you include sarcasm in your introduction? Haven't you simply proved her point?

I found your post very interesting Tricia "I don't remember anyone being bullied like that recently" so an accusation of bullying on GN isn't as unfounded as you would have us think madamecholet, perhaps not applicable to that particular thread but not unheard of.

rosesarered Thu 14-Jul-16 14:58:49

But one of them is ME madamecholet....grin the most wrinkled one!

Marmight Thu 14-Jul-16 15:00:36

Blimey, is that what the DM thinks the average granny looks like shock

Ana Thu 14-Jul-16 15:04:35

Blimey, wonder what I said to get my post deleted...? confused

And according to the DM article, the leader of these so-called 'bullies' is one of our most respected, long-standing and unconfrontational members!

Tegan Thu 14-Jul-16 15:05:42

I agree with Smileless; sometimes new posters do have a hard time on the forum. However, in this instance the blog [or whatever it was] just wasn't funny.

thatbags Thu 14-Jul-16 15:19:48

Aren't some people excessive? "vicious"? No, just a bit critical.

The complaint is in the same ridiculous league as calling wolf whistles hate crimes.

HQ wouldn't have let any actual viciousness pass. I hope someone at HQ will write a rebuttal to the DM article. Mind you, I'd understand if they just couldn't be arsed to counter such ageist nonsense.

Pittcity Thu 14-Jul-16 15:24:29

If I was Elegran, I'd be on to my lawyer......

Smileless2012 Thu 14-Jul-16 15:30:05

I don't see how HQ can write a rebuttal when it's stated in the same article that Cari Rosen the GN editor doesn't regard this type of exchange as unusual.

TerriBull Thu 14-Jul-16 15:30:27

I didn't bother commenting on the OP, but do remember thinking that the content wasn't remotely funny, just kind of stupid. It came across to me as someone trying too hard to be witty and the post fell flat, in fact it was puerile if anything.

Yes far more worrying, the DM's vision of what we are all supposed to look like. Glad to say I didn't recognise myself at all grin

daphnedill Thu 14-Jul-16 15:37:41

A storm in a tea cup? In the Daily Mail? Who'd have thought it?

whitewave Thu 14-Jul-16 15:39:42

Obviously a junior DM reporter having a quiet day so thought this would be a good idea. Go away DM go and try to get a reaction from someone who cares.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-Jul-16 15:44:58

O M G !!!

I never thought of telling the Daily Mail about you rotten lot

Anyone found the thread?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-Jul-16 15:46:29

Oh yes. madamcholet has. smile