Gransnet forums

News & politics

So: what will Cameron's Legacy Be?

(127 Posts)
gettingonabit Sat 16-Jul-16 14:34:21

So-he called an arguably unnecessary referendum, a tactic which ended in personal failure. He highlighted the need for the Big Society, which fell into oblivion. He styled himself as a normal bloke and rode a bike to work, only to be ridiculed when it was noted that his car was following him behind. He was an Old Etonian who surrounded himself with toffs and was accused by a fellow MP of not knowing the price of milk.

He promised change but, on his watch, the gap between rich and poor grew bigger. He oversaw the introduction of gay marriage. He was classed as an articulate speaker but (in my view at least!) was regularly outclassed by "weird" Ed Milliband at PMQs.

That's my take on Cameron's incumbency: what's yours?

whitewave Sat 16-Jul-16 15:59:08

He will go down in history for all things negative. Apart from that he will only be a brief byword as an also ran.

Anniebach Sat 16-Jul-16 17:18:37

He did hug a husky

Ceesnan Sat 16-Jul-16 17:27:16

confused

nigglynellie Sat 16-Jul-16 17:27:42

And a hoody!!!!

M0nica Sat 16-Jul-16 18:18:44

Too soon to say. It took a while to suss out Tony Blair and 13 years for Chilcott to finally nail him.

The legacy of Mrs Thatcher is still subject to constant change.

Luckylegs9 Sat 16-Jul-16 18:57:29

People were asking for a referendum, it was his election promise that he would give us one. The amount of people that turned out justified having one, despite nearly half the population not agreeing with the outcome. He did the honourable thing by resigning as he wanted to remain in Europe.He will be remembered for that. I thought the humour and wit shown on his last say in office was fantastic. Regarding Margaret Thatcher, she was known and respected throughout most if the world.

Anniebach Sat 16-Jul-16 19:47:31

If thatcher was so respected throughout most of the world why did her cabinet knife her and boot her out of no 10

M0nica Sat 16-Jul-16 20:31:44

But only after she had been Prime Minister for 10 years.

Prime Ministers, all Prime Ministers, have a shelf life. Right for the job when elected, not right a number of years later.

Some, like Wilson and Cameron, jump before they are pushed. Others are ejected by the electorate, like Gordon Brown. Others like Mrs Thatcher overstay their welcome and get kicked out.

Anniebach Sat 16-Jul-16 20:38:52

You are wrong about Wilson, he left office when early stages of dementia were diagnosed . So which labour PM's were pushed out by their own party?

durhamjen Sat 16-Jul-16 23:41:20

Gay marriage with the break up of two unions, the EU and the UK. What a legacy!

dramatictessa Sun 17-Jul-16 06:46:03

What's wrong with gay marriage?

absent Sun 17-Jul-16 06:50:23

Not much.

mumofmadboys Sun 17-Jul-16 07:36:09

I am glad gay marriage has been legalised.

nigglynellie Sun 17-Jul-16 08:03:01

If nothing else this upheaval will hopefully stop Jeremy Corbyn from having a legacy! Now that would be the stuff nightmares are made of!!

durhamjen Sun 17-Jul-16 09:18:42

Nothing wrong with gay marriage. That's the best bit of his legacy. Not sure he'd want his legacy to be the break up of the EU and the UK.
Perhaps he'll want the gay marriage to be his only legacy remembered.

Anniebach Sun 17-Jul-16 09:35:54

Bedroom tax. Increase in homeless. Benefits cuts to the disabled.

Mamardoit Sun 17-Jul-16 10:06:44

Ensuring Sir Mark and Carol Thatcher had only minimum funeral costs when they buried their mother.

durhamjen Sun 17-Jul-16 10:10:31

I think of those as IDS legacy, Annie. IDS, Cameron and Osborne interchangeable.

rosesarered Sun 17-Jul-16 10:21:53

If you dislike a politician ( and his/her ideaology) it is easy peasy to pick holes in their 'legacy" ( what would it be for Corbyn one wonders....the break up of the Labour Party?)There, told you it was easy!
For Cameron, on a serious note, only time will tell what his legacy will be like.If Brexit goes well and the UK can look back ( from the future) he will be remembered as the PM who by giving a referendum ( and us voting out) did us a tremendous favour.Or not, depending on how things go.Who would be PM.... What a job!

BRedhead59 Sun 17-Jul-16 10:22:03

In PMQ he beat Millipede every time and after the first one Corbin too but that doesn't mean I agree with his politics.

durhamjen Sun 17-Jul-16 10:28:20

Never answering a single question in PMQ?

Anniebach Sun 17-Jul-16 10:36:11

I don't see why personal insults and well rehearsed poor jokes plus avoidance of answering a direct question makes good PMQ, he said himself it was referred to as his show

rosesarered Sun 17-Jul-16 10:37:12

PMQ's has always been about showboating.

Anniebach Sun 17-Jul-16 10:38:11

Yes Jen but IDS couldn't have brought them in without the approval of Cameron ,IDS thought them out and Cameron pressed the green button