Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lesson in diplomacy for Brexit Boris

(63 Posts)
Ginny42 Fri 22-Jul-16 11:43:17

In case you missed it...

During a press conference with Brexit Boris and John Kerry a journalist asked Johnson about his offensive remarks about people like Hilary Clinton, Erdogan etc. He mumbled a response something along the lines of it being acceptable for journalists to make things up.

Asked how he could work with someone like Boris Johnson, Kerry said he'd been in a meeting with an old friend of Johnson's from Oxford University who called him a 'smart and capable man' and that was the man he intended to do dealings with.

When Johnson thanked him for the compliment Kerry replied, 'It's called diplomacy.'

Hilarious.

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 11:46:46

Not at all sure why he was picked for the job, other than he is a Brexiteer. But that is the beginning and end of what might commend him to the post. The civil servants must be tearing their hair out.

JessM Fri 22-Jul-16 12:40:12

Kerry's face was a picture when the reporter was laying into Johnson at some length. I would add that BJ used Latin several times in his answers. A defensive technique designed to befuddle those who do not have the benefit of an expensive private education?
I think May has put the 3 brexiteers into the front line so that they can carry the can. You made this bed and now you lie in it. She's also put Leadsome in charge of DEFRA putting her in the front line of a lot of difficult areas such as:
farming and farming subsidies
environment/conservation
climate change and energy policy
flooding
regulations about food
animal welfare
Bovine TB
fisheries and waterways
import and export licences
import and export of food
etc
It's a huge portfolio and AL appears magnificently ill equipped to deal with any of it other than experience of a brief stint as energy minister in which she allegedly started by asking" is climate change real". I think she is going to find that she has more on her plate that introducing a bill to bring back fox hunting with dogs.

JessM Fri 22-Jul-16 12:41:31

I suppose what I am thinking is that all of the above is really, really difficult as only tiny Iceland has ever left the EU before. And that May is setting them up to fail. Or if not, suffer a great deal.

Anya Fri 22-Jul-16 12:49:42

Just a point of interest Jess....I understand many Latin phrases as I studied it at a state school.

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 12:51:31

Perhaps you could enlighten me then anya I didn't learn Latin.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:58:10

I found the journalist rather annoying. He was referring to comments made by BJ when he was a journalist. Actually, I agreed with his view of Obhama, I thought he summed him up rather well.

The journalist in question seemed to be deriving so much satisfaction from making BJ squirm, he didn't seem to see the obvious discomfort of his fellow countryman John Kerry.

Aaah well, that's journalism for you.

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 13:59:38

shock

GillT57 Fri 22-Jul-16 14:17:24

Another here with Latin at state schoo. And both children at their state schools....so beware Boris, some of us can understand.....

Anya Fri 22-Jul-16 14:18:23

How on earth should I know that "WW*? Did you go to a grammar school?

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 14:48:02

No You indicated that as you had done Latin at school you had no trouble in understanding Johnsons twaddle. I didn't do Latin, so wondered if you could enlighten me as to what the idiot is countering on about. This all, no problem if you can't.
anya

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 14:48:56

Chuntering not countering - clearly my iPad thinks it knows best!

suzied Fri 22-Jul-16 14:53:57

Iceland didn't leave the EU it hasn't joined, although it's in the EEA with 3 other countries, so gets some EU benefits. Greenland left the EU and it is in another continent, it was only in the EU because of Denmark.

rosesarered Fri 22-Jul-16 14:57:02

All grammar schools did Latin ( years ago anyway) including the one that I went to,
It would be better for Boris just to show his intelligence though, and not throw in classical references.

Anya Fri 22-Jul-16 15:01:06

Didn't hear the speech you're referring to. I was responding to your comments about only learning Latin if you've paid for an expensive education.

Anya Fri 22-Jul-16 15:03:00

Sorry WW it wasn't you it was Jess who posted that..

Tegan Fri 22-Jul-16 15:03:33

Does that really matter? What does matter is that the Foreign Secretary, on the world stage has to resort to answering questions in a language that very few understand these days in an attempt to, err, not answer the question.

Anya Fri 22-Jul-16 15:10:01

Well yes, it does matter on this forum if someone makes a sweeping statement which is patently untrue.

Anya Fri 22-Jul-16 15:12:10

Makes one wonder what other inaccuracies have been slipped in, under the bridge, as it were hmm

nigglynellie Fri 22-Jul-16 15:18:56

Just a point, Boris was a Kings Scholar at Eton, which are not awarded lightly. His expensive education was in fact paid for by the charity that awards these hard to come by scholarships. He also got a scholarship to Baliol College Oxford to read classics again no mean feat. I don't think we should underestimate him.

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 15:27:08

Underestimate what nig?

His silly acting, or his embarrassing comments, or his reported laziness or his low sticking with the job threshold?

Which of those are we underestimating?

Of course you may mean intelligence, but unfortunately that does it always come with other much desired qualities.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Jul-16 15:45:58

Well perhaps we should give him a chance. The new PM obviously sees some potential.

TriciaF Fri 22-Jul-16 15:55:52

nigglynellie I've often met intellectually brilliant people who are completely naive and ignorant when it comes to the ways of the world. Especially if they come from a sheltered background.

JessM Fri 22-Jul-16 16:06:57

Anya I have a respectable o level in Latin but I didn't understand his quotes. Also Johnson is younger than me - he's a mere 52 and very few of his generation studied Latin if they did not go to public school. People in their early 50s who I know, who also went to grammar schools, do not seem to have studied it and it has always been very rare in the comprehensive system. Anyway very rude to use it in a context where few of the audience would understand.
"obita dicta" was one of the phrases. dead words?? See clip here:
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shamefaced-boris-johnson-cringes-first-8451762

Anya Fri 22-Jul-16 21:58:37

Si dicas ita wink