Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hilary Clinton-a Gran as President?

(36 Posts)
trisher Wed 27-Jul-16 13:22:11

Besides being the first woman candidate Hilary Clinton is a Gran of 2. Isn't it fantastic that she is such a great example of how older women can still have ambition and drive. Let's hope she beats Trump.

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 13:36:33

Agreed, Trisher. US politics looks very scary at the moment.I hope Sander's supporters do not abstain as they are threatening to.

DaphneBroon Wed 27-Jul-16 13:55:58

www.grandparents.com/food-and-leisure/quizzes-and-puzzles/presidential-grandparents-quiz

Surely there is only ONE Clinton GC so far?

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 13:58:13

Second one born last month.

sunseeker Wed 27-Jul-16 14:34:15

If I were an American I'm afraid I just wouldn't know who to vote for. Trump scares the bejasus out of me and I don't trust Hilary Clinton. I only hope an American friend I spoke to is right when she said whoever is elected will have their excesses reigned in by Congress and Senate.

DaphneBroon Wed 27-Jul-16 14:35:06

Gosh that was quick!! I hadn't realised

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 14:46:09

Congress and Senate both have a republican majority. That's why Obama has not been able to get lots of his plans passed.
That means voting for Clinton would be preferable.

tanith Wed 27-Jul-16 15:00:24

I don't think much of Hilary Clinton although she has plenty of experience but the alternative is just too scary to even think about.

varian Wed 27-Jul-16 15:19:39

If I was an American I would almost certainly have been a Bernie Sanders supporter but at this stage I would be campaigning even more strongly for Hillary. There is a real danger that enough Sanders supporters will abstain for the utterly ghastly Trump to win.

Tegan Wed 27-Jul-16 15:36:13

Surely no one would be tempted to vote for Trump confused even if his opponent was Mickey Mouse..?

varian Wed 27-Jul-16 15:40:13

That's what we all thought six months ago - but we've learned a lot since then about how irrational voters can be.

tanith Wed 27-Jul-16 16:48:30

I'm afraid that there are people who would do just Tegan sad

Jane10 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:07:05

Oh fingers crossed for Hilary! I was so impressed by Michelle Obama's speech yesterday. I'd vote for her any day!

LullyDully Wed 27-Jul-16 18:02:43

Hilary may be a granny but she may not have time for Gransnet.

My pen friend reckons Trump is a buffoon and Hillary a crook so good luck to the people of USA.

YankeeGran Wed 27-Jul-16 18:09:25

I still have my US citizenship and will certainly be voting for Hillary. She comes with a lot of baggage, but she's smart, experienced and capable - and way ahead of Trump, who can't manage a cohesive sentence let alone anything as sophisticated as policy.

President Obama could have achieved so much more if his every move hadn't been blocked by a Republican Congress - just because they could. It's shameful and alarming. I want to hang onto his ankles and cry, "Don't go!"...or at least, if you have to go, leave Michelle!

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 18:15:02

Michelle could be the next one after Hillary.

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 18:17:39

I think Trump will win.
The drip drip of the email scandal, plus Americans fed up with the status quo, may be enough.

He is promising them a lot. Whether he can deliver, and how far he would go with the rich versus poor stuff I don't know.

But Hillary Clinton is hardly poor herself. Never seems to have used the underground for example. And has been part of the establishment for I dont know how long.

So it isnt as if Americans have got the choice of rich and poor if you know what I mean.

And actually it is Donald Trump that is more outside the establishment than she is ironically.

TerriBull Wed 27-Jul-16 18:20:04

I don't think she's fantastic, and her being a grandparent is irrelevant, but she's the only viable option, the other grandparent in the running, should he succeed, is a scenario too awful to contemplate. Not a great choice for the American voter though. I was listening to a disillusioned Bernie Sanders supporter who said he wouldn't vote for Hillary, interviewer said "but you can't want Trump" he replied "it doesn't matter" sad

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 18:22:07

Trump asking the Russians to commit cyber espioage against Clinton.
How sad.
You know some weird facts, obie. How do you know she has never been on the underground?

DaphneBroon Wed 27-Jul-16 18:27:55

I tried my own quiz and got a masterly 1/10!!
However, it shows that there have been many US Presidents who were grandfathers so why should a grandmother arouse any comment whatsoever.
Why should Hillary Clinton want to go on the underground confused obieone and do you mean the subway in New York where she doesn't live or the London Underground where she doesn't live either?
Perhaps she is like gononsuch who doesn't use public transport because of the unsavory (sic) things which happen there

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 18:35:16

Same here, daphne. Half of the names I'd never heard of.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 18:56:26

I hope Hilary wins the election, what does being part of the establishment matter. At least she knows many heads of states and PM's the thought of Trump let lose on the world is quite troubling

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 19:38:38

subway

DaphneBroon Wed 27-Jul-16 20:42:41

Brevity is indeed the soul of wit it seems.

Marmark1 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:38:00

How the hell can any one trust Hilary Clinton,any more than they would have trusted her husband.Seems to me the good American people got two bad options.