Gransnet forums

News & politics

Honours for anything??

(20 Posts)
trisher Mon 01-Aug-16 17:13:58

So people have bought their place in Dave's Honour's list, well that's nothing new. However the addition of people like his wife's stylist is. It has been suggested that Larry the cat should have been there. So I wondered what other sort of people should we be adding? Like Boris's hairdresser for instance???

rosesarered Mon 01-Aug-16 17:33:00

It was ever thus Trisher (sadly) all these honours are ridiculous.

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 17:37:58

At least one for the cat!

whitewave Mon 01-Aug-16 17:43:33

I think the general cynicism surrounding the honours system should really indicate that it is Time to reassess the system.

Deedaa Mon 01-Aug-16 21:30:32

trisher are you suggesting that Boris actually has a hairdresser? I thought he got the gardner to run a hedge trimmer over it.

trisher Mon 01-Aug-16 21:38:42

Well whoever is doing it I think they deserve an honour far more than Sam Cam's stylist. Much more striking and more talked about.

Day6 Mon 01-Aug-16 22:23:15

Such cronyism. The honours list is a joke. The truly deserving aren't recognised, ever.

durhamjen Mon 01-Aug-16 22:31:23

Dave didn't need to do it. Not every retiring PM does.
Theresa May would have got more kudos if she had vetoed some of the honours.
Why does Osborne need anything? He is going to inherit anyway.

Smileless2012 Tue 02-Aug-16 16:05:43

It devalues the honours that are given to people who really deserve them. It's become a joke.

Charleygirl Tue 02-Aug-16 16:17:09

I quite agree and I do not understand the obsession of knighting some athletes- our Andy will be next.

M0nica Tue 02-Aug-16 20:36:49

The Queen has a personal order (Victoria Order, I think) which she awards to people who render her personal services that she wishes to acknowledge.

Why do we not have a personal order for political leaders where they can hand out gongs to supporters and stylists on a similar basis? What about the calling it the Parliamentary Order, with three grades. certificate, Diploma and Medal (CPO, DPO and MPO) then if someone only got a reward for political services it will be obvious.

Why SamCam's stylist got an award I do not know. Did she have instructions to keep her clothes dull and fubsy, so as not to cause too many waves among the Tory matrons of the shires who might be deeply suspicious of an MP with a wife with any sense of style?

Jane10 Tue 02-Aug-16 20:39:16

A parliamentary order is a great idea M0nica!

trisher Tue 02-Aug-16 20:44:32

That's a great idea M0nica.
As for SamCam's stylist you could be right. In fact until these honours I never knew she had a stylist but maybe that shows how good she is???!!!

Jalima Tue 02-Aug-16 20:52:53

Arise Sir Lawrence, Mouser-in-Chief

Deedaa Tue 02-Aug-16 20:55:21

I read someone today saying who on earth would want to join a club that had Pillip Green as a member?

Jalima Tue 02-Aug-16 21:02:39

but for how long?

TerriBull Wed 03-Aug-16 07:12:59

Larry the cat might have problems arising, last seen with ears down snarling at Palmerston FO cat, he seems to have come off worse because he has now lost his collar. Give him an OBE at least, it's a tough life being a Downing Street cat sad

Jalima Wed 03-Aug-16 10:19:18

grin
And apparently Philip Hammond wants to bring his dog to No 11! shock

trisher Wed 03-Aug-16 10:53:47

Oh dear more conflict! And possibly more honours. I've just thought the vet looking after Larry should get something like the stylist.

Jalima Wed 03-Aug-16 14:19:04

Poor dog! He will think he has the upper hand but I bet the cats win.