Gransnet forums

News & politics

Crikey. They've banned the lot of 'em

(44 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Aug-16 20:03:21

That'll put the cat amongst the pigeons with Putin.

Left it late enough didn't they?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Aug-16 20:04:02

I mean the Russian athletes at the Games! Sorry.

obieone Sun 07-Aug-16 20:07:18

The Russian Paraolympians?

grannylyn65 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:11:54

confused

tanith Sun 07-Aug-16 20:21:42

Its the Paralympics their Athletes have been banned from.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Aug-16 20:34:06

Yes! I realise that now. That's what you get for listening to the radio with only half an ear. hmm

soz.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Aug-16 20:35:09

Although, somehow, it seems worse (being the paralympic athletes. Don't know why though)

Anniebach Sun 07-Aug-16 20:51:05

I feel sorry for them, did they have a choice ?

NanaandGrampy Sun 07-Aug-16 20:55:34

How come the Olympians didn't get banned too?

Anniebach Sun 07-Aug-16 21:18:13

Different committees

petra Sun 07-Aug-16 21:28:59

jingle because Sir Philip Craven ( head of IPC) is an honest man, unlike the rest of the Olympic committee.
Perhaps now something will really be done, it's beyond farce. Why did Russia win 3x as many medals in the Sochi Winter Olympics than any other country, mmmm, let me think.

obieone Sun 07-Aug-16 21:29:35

I think it feels sadder too that it is the paraolympians. I wonder how much choice they or other Russian athletes have, other than to choose not to take part in the Olympics altogether.
Assuming of course that they have actually taken something.

petra Sun 07-Aug-16 21:33:46

obieone Are you serious? "Assuming of course that they have actually taken anything" Have you not seen how they did it. Why do you think that the scientist who blew the whistle is living in exile in America.

NanaandGrampy Sun 07-Aug-16 21:35:03

Ah thanks Annie , seems very unfair !

obieone Sun 07-Aug-16 21:41:30

No petra, I have not seen how they do it. I have barely read or seen the news in about 10 days.

petra Sun 07-Aug-16 21:53:41

obieone what has the last 10 days got to do with anything? This has been going on since the start of the modern olympics as we know it. And it's not just the olympics, think of the London marathon.

Anniebach Sun 07-Aug-16 22:06:32

And not the only country, difficult to recall all the countries who had drug takers in their team. I accept this is allegedly state control so a difference but after watching the Panorama programme on Seb Coe allegations I wonder how many countries have drug free teams .

radicalnan Mon 08-Aug-16 10:43:47

I think they should ban the whole Olympic thing, the visitation of the spoiled athletes upon the poorer places of the world (London included) is a disgrace. There are no legacies only the plundering of charities to support the whole egotistical bash. Bread and Circuses still as popular as ever. If we spent a fraction of the time and money on something sensible we could begin to bring peace to this troubled world. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 11:12:22

London is one of the poorest places of the world?

Tudorrose Mon 08-Aug-16 11:17:54

I despair of the true Olympian spirit ever being revived when I read that the Lebanese & Israeli athletes refused to travel to the arena in the same bus!

AnnieGran Mon 08-Aug-16 11:48:00

Where is Seb Coe, I mean Lord Coe? It's a bit like 'Where's Wally'. He usually has plenty to say. I'm sure he isn't hiding.

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 12:08:09

He had nothing to say when asked question by Panorama , ignored the reporter , but did issue a statement the following day claiming the allegations were not true !

nigglynellie Mon 08-Aug-16 12:21:45

I think the whole Olympic jamboree is a complete waste of money to the point of being immoral. Having been to Rio and seen for myself the abject poverty that a good proportion of the population live in, together with the inevitable violence, drugs and worse, that go hand in hand with despair and hopelessness, I just cannot for one moment even remotely understand how a government could spend God knows what on athletics, while some of their own citizens haven't even got clean running water - putting 'games' before basic needs, is a complete disgrace.

Lupin Mon 08-Aug-16 12:23:30

I don't trust any of it now, whatever the sport. It's all a humungous scandal. This business of missed drugs tests and how the rules apply to some and not others beats me.
I watched some of the ladies cycling yesterday and saw the horrific accident to a leading Dutch cyclist. Apparently the route was visibly dangerous and yet no-one stopped it. The cyclists rode it anyway in pursuit of glory. I wondered then about the financial toll on Brazil, where so much money spent could be better used. In 2012 the UK had to fork out in the teeth of a terrible financial crisis. What are we all thinking of? I feel a right killjoy, but common sense, sport and money seem to go together in the worst way.

nigglynellie Mon 08-Aug-16 12:29:24

Totally agree with you Lupin and you're not a kill joy at all. Countries including our own virtually beggar themselves to put on the best games ever, no matter what the fall out is. Money that could be much much better spent. I'd stop them tomorrow!!