Gransnet forums

News & politics

Clinton vs Trump

(55 Posts)
mrsmopp Wed 24-Aug-16 22:46:16

What a dreadful choice! We may complain about our politicians but I'm glad I don't have to choose between these two, as I wouldn't trust either of them. The future looks bleak for America.

MaizieD Wed 24-Aug-16 23:59:10

She may not be everyone's cup of tea but Clinton is a safe pair of hands with years of experience at the highest levels of government. I would trust her not to start WW3. I wouldn't trust Trump not to.

He's far more dangerous because the US House of Representatives tends to have a Republican majority so he'd have a much easier time in getting his policies implemented.

Their system doesn't work like ours; the President is often of a different party from the majority party in the Legislature (unlike our PM who is the leader of the majority pary in the legislature); so they are often very limited as to what they can do with domestic policy. so they turn to foreign affairs to make their mark. And that is where Clinton has oodles of experience.

varian Thu 25-Aug-16 08:07:11

Trump has the support of Nigel Farage who has appeared on the platform at a Trump rally to tell the bemused audience (most had no clue who he was) that he wouldn't vote for Hillary if you paid him.

This is the same Farage who berated Barack Obama for interfering in British politics when he advised us to votr Remain.

Of course Trump was one of only three foriegn politicians to back Brexit so Farage is paying back the favour. I wonder how long it will be before he appears on a platform beside one of his other supporters Vladimir Putin and Marine le Pen?

varian Thu 25-Aug-16 09:39:24

Farage said "The parallels between the people that voted Brexit and the people who could beat Clinton are uncanny"

I wonder if any of the gransnet Brexiters agree?

sunseeker Thu 25-Aug-16 12:15:22

If I was American I wouldn't know how to vote. I don't trust Clinton and Trump scares the hell out of me

Gracesgran Thu 25-Aug-16 12:38:08

I imagine Farage was paid to be at the Trump rally.

granjura Thu 25-Aug-16 12:40:59

his speech is about the 'little' people beating the big banks and international corporations - and the Republicans clapped and clapped-

are Republicans really fighting for the ordinary man in the street, social care, health care, fair wages? Are they really anti big banks and big corporations ???

mrsmopp Thu 25-Aug-16 13:13:37

A lot of Americans don't like Clinton or Trump so they may well choose not to vote at all. It's possible there will be a low turnout.
I don't trust Hillary any more than I trusted Bill Clinton, the philandering liar that he was. And she supported him throughout. Would you have stuck with him after Lewinsky? I'd have walked out on him but she knew which side her bread was buttered.

Anya Thu 25-Aug-16 13:45:34

varian I seriously doubt that any on this forum give credence to the opinions of Farage.

I'm not normally religious, but when I listen to Trump I begin to wonder 'could there be such a thing as the Anti-Christ?' hmm

DaphneBroon Thu 25-Aug-16 15:05:47

varian he may have meant it as a compliment, but not everybody would take it that way (from either side!!)

granjura Thu 25-Aug-16 17:53:10

Is it judgemental to say Trump and his supporters are really dangerous for the future of our world: In a way HC just isn't.
Just can't fathom for the life of me how anyone can say the choice is 50/50 ???

MaizieD Thu 25-Aug-16 18:27:56

There is 'judgemental' and there is 'judgemental', granjura.

It's only pejorative when one makes a negative 'judgement' based on a stereotype or on very little or no information.

There's nothing at all wrong with weighing up what one knows about a person or situation and coming to a conclusion (judgement) based that knowledge. We'd never get anywhere if no-one made any decisions for fear of being labelled as 'judgemental' (which is a bit ridiculous, as has been discussed elsewhere, recently).

In my judgement, Trump has the potential to be far more dangerous to the future of the world than does Clinton. His stated views might be tempered by a) the political realities of office or b)they may be less extreme than appear to be; he's just using 'extreme' as a device to attract votes. But I wouldn't bank on it.

lemondrizzle Thu 25-Aug-16 18:39:49

I think Hilary Clinton is just as dangerous as Trump. Her foreign policy's are very hawkish.

Anya Thu 25-Aug-16 19:06:30

Really?

DaphneBroon Thu 25-Aug-16 20:08:26

Well we sent our WMD - Nigel Farage. What a pair those two make. Surely a 2 man mission to SOME outer galaxy could be arranged...?

Deedaa Thu 25-Aug-16 21:07:45

With a country the size of the USA these two are all they can come up with. And we thought we'd got problems!

lemondrizzle Fri 26-Aug-16 12:33:15

The trouble is, to run for presidency in USA you have to be seriously rich. Lack of money shouldn't be an obstacle in becoming president. What has Trump and Clinton got going for them apart from being rich. There must be loads of more suitable candidates for the job but they've no chance because of their lack of finances. It's all wrong.

Tegan Fri 26-Aug-16 12:57:31

So the once married Hillary Clinton, whose husband did a 'very silly thing' admittedly is as dangerous as the thrice [or is it more] times married misogynistic/racist Trump who I believe has a gagging order on his previous wives confused.

lemondrizzle Fri 26-Aug-16 13:28:06

I think the pair of them are unsuitable as presidents. Him being so obviously unsuitable doesn't automatically make her a better option. She's a hard core militarist and interventionist. I wouldnt feel any safer with her in charge than I would him.

lemondrizzle Fri 26-Aug-16 13:31:36

She's still married to Bill Clinton Tegan

Ana Fri 26-Aug-16 13:57:03

Trump scores much higher than Hillary Clinton on this!

news.sky.com/story/where-does-donald-trump-rate-on-psychopath-leader-board-10547930

Tegan Fri 26-Aug-16 14:11:58

I know she's still married to him, hence the 'once' confused...

lemondrizzle Fri 26-Aug-16 14:19:37

Yes but Tegan tbf if someone says "the once married" it implies they aren't anymore. You don't use that expression if they still are.

Tegan Fri 26-Aug-16 14:54:24

Ok; the 'married' Hilary Clinton then [sigh]....

lemondrizzle Fri 26-Aug-16 15:27:09

Sorry Tegan I've just realised what you meant, I wasn't being awkward. But really is how many times they've been married any indication of whether or not they're dangerous? Look at Hitler.