Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit 3

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Wed 07-Sep-16 08:15:45

This could and probably will go on for yearsgrin

Just to note that as well as Japan putting down markers, Australia has advised that we will behind the EU in any trade negotiations.

Welshwife Wed 07-Sep-16 08:40:41

USA confirmed after the EU etc too.

Welshwife Wed 07-Sep-16 09:08:45

I have just read the last few posts on Brexit 2 . --- despite what people cannot believe it is true it was said by the EU before the vote that the person to lead the UK leaving process would be appointed by Brussels and that each of the 27 remaining States would appoint a representative to sit on the committee to decide on the way the UK would leave, and the UK would not be included in any of these decisions but simply told what to do. I read it several times but never saw any UK headlines stating this as they concentrated on the 350 million.

whitewave Wed 07-Sep-16 09:13:28

In our debate leading up to the Brexit vote on GN we were absolutely aware of that. It is written in some Treaty -I forget which, but it was quoted word for word for information.
It could be that some did not see the quote.

The EU to reiterate will have the whip hand. Cameron was one of the signatories!

Lozzamas Wed 07-Sep-16 11:53:57

My family voted exit in the total knowledge of project fears predictions - a price worth paying for getting out of the European federal experiment and control in their view. I voted remain - mainly out of fear as I work in Financial sector IT and knew there could be employment issues for me as a result. In fact the opposite is happening, my husbands company is booming post Brexit he may be employing more people as a result, my employer is taking on and increasing rates to compete with other employers doing the same. Thus far the garden is Rosey - the doom and gloom was largely short term speculators trying to make a quick buck. Do I expect that to continue - not necessarily there will be changes later - not wholesale good or bad just different, but I'm prepared to pull in a patriotic way to support the majority decision. It may cost me and mine personally, but it's the will of the people and that in itself is worth supporting. I like the future it's where I'm going to live - so I'm going to make my future as good as I can and not watch the markets up and downs and all the day by day speculation ..... Nobody yet knows what's going to happen, when or how - if they did no one would tell you, the only thing we do know is that the people will have no influence (as ever) in it, and we live in a democracy where we WILL be doing this via EU rules at some point starting probably in the New Year and completing WITHIN 2 years unless the EU decide its in their interest to extend it. The EU love 1/1 for its dates so I'd predict although no one knows that we will exit on 1/1/2019, and although I didn't vote for it I wish it every success as we will all be part of it.

Tegan Wed 07-Sep-16 12:52:02

Good post Lozzamas; even though I'm a staunch remainer, I respect your decision and am grateful that you have taken the time to explain that decision.

Ana Wed 07-Sep-16 12:57:55

How refreshing to hear from someone who voted to Remain, but has accepted the Leave vote with good grace and intends to make the most of things.

rosesarered Wed 07-Sep-16 14:15:19

Glad to hear that Lozzamass and it chimes with what we are hearing in the news.We need to think about the old (Truman?) quote ' All we have to fear, is fear itself' and stop talking the UK into a downward spiral of gloom.

rosesarered Wed 07-Sep-16 14:16:37

Nobody, of course, has to explain their decision Tegan

Anya Wed 07-Sep-16 14:28:39

A very refreshing post Lozzamass

Tegan Wed 07-Sep-16 14:41:45

Did I say they 'HAD' to roses? By the same token it would be refreshing if someone who voted leave could say that they were concerned that promises have been broken, no one knows what 'Brexit' actually means and that the people who are instrumental in bringing it about seem to be disgagreeing with each other.

PamelaJ1 Wed 07-Sep-16 15:02:59

The EU has been in place for more than a couple of years.
Why has it still not got trading agreements with the US or Australia?
Does this mean that we don't actually need agreements?
If they do have agreements in place surely they will not have to renegotiate with these countries because we are leaving.
So many questions, so few answers!

Washerwoman Wed 07-Sep-16 15:11:48

Thank you so much Lozzamas for putting into words far more succinctly than I could sentiments family who voted Remain,and were very disappointed initially,have recently expressed.

Lozzamas Wed 07-Sep-16 15:14:08

Roses I don't mind, Tegan I didn't vote leave but everyone else in my family and workplace did. At the time they were telling me that they didn't believe any of the promises anyway so that had no effect on their decision - No one believed the EU money was that high or it would go to the NHS - did they? Not one voted on immigration as far as I can tell - most talk about Democracy and Soveriegnty. They are also relieved that Brexit did not mean Gove or Farage getting power so they are glad they deserted - a bit like the Bremainer leaders did. On the whole neither campaign (both lies) or set of leaders had much influence on those I know, so they are not concerned on either front - frankly nor am I, the politicians and negotiators we now have are in a far better position than I to take the decision forward, and they all took the role knowing the result. My role is just to support their decisions where I can and make this work for me and mine.

Anya Wed 07-Sep-16 15:57:31

My post was addressed to Lozzamas

whitewave Wed 07-Sep-16 17:33:00

May clearly forgot her torch. I do think that they've had long enough to begin to have some sort of clue. Id course no-one is expecting detailed analysis etc, but something along the lines of "the government is now beginning to formulate such and such in relation to such and such" by all means play cards close to your chest but an inkling that you are progressing nicely thank you would be a relief - nothing, zilch forthcoming.

Ana Wed 07-Sep-16 17:44:04

The Prime Minister has told MPs the Government will not "reveal our hand prematurely" or comment on "every twist and turn".

So we'll all have to wait. Which won't stop the speculation and doom-mongering, of course...

Tegan Wed 07-Sep-16 17:47:35

Can I just say that, yes, I do understand why many people voted leave and , yes, I do have to respect their decision. But what I am finding very hurtful is the lack of understanding from so many people about the fact that many of us are worried about the future, not just for ourselves but for people in this country that will be affected by the result, especially as, as usual, it will be the poorer members of society that will bear the brunt of it. The jibes and the sneering 'you lost, get over it' are incredibly hurtful and unfeeling and make it impossible to have a constructive dialogue about the situation we find ourselves in today.

whitewave Wed 07-Sep-16 17:53:59

I neither speculated nor doom mongered - I merely mused on whether or not answering the question indicates that there is still no consensus in cabinet or whether in fact they are still clueless. Asking to say whether they are any further forward than last June hardly demands the revelation of any state secrets.

petra Wed 07-Sep-16 18:02:20

Tegan I think that most posters who voted to leave weren't pompous or trumpet blowing after the result. Things only started going that way when we were accused of being uneducated thick morons and rascist. Then the gloves came off.

Tegan Wed 07-Sep-16 18:52:35

But the referendum did unleash a wave of racism didn't it? There was a minister interviewed on R5Live yesterday who gave several examples of racism that her parishioners had experienced and a lot of people seem to be in denial about this sad.

rosesarered Wed 07-Sep-16 18:56:14

Exactly Petra and we don't want to go back to THAT.

Ana Wed 07-Sep-16 19:30:05

So, Tegan, because there have been several examples of racist behaviour in some parts of the country since the referendum, does that imply that all those who voted to leave the EU are racist? confused

I find that assumption very hurtful!

Badenkate Wed 07-Sep-16 19:35:54

First time I've ever agreed with Michael O'Leary - 'headless chickens' I think was used

Tegan Wed 07-Sep-16 20:11:18

I didn't say that Ana, and you know that I didn't. Don't put words into my mouth that I didn't say sad. No one has ever said that 'everyone' who voted leave was a racist. I said that 'the referendum' had unleashed a lot of racism; which it has.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion