Gransnet forums

News & politics

This poor boy who got beaten up just because he is Asian

(11 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Sep-16 12:49:16

Ten years old. On his way to his friend's house after school yesterday. Got forced to a building site by two young boys, chased up scaffolding, and beaten with wooden and metal bars. Just for being of Asian ethnicity.

Thankfully two women heard him banging on a gate after he managed to escape, and took him home.

Unbelievable. sad Heartbreaking.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Sep-16 13:01:20

His mum said, on Jeremy Vyne, he was covered in blood. The women who took him home said he was really confused and found it hard to even tell them where he lived.

Luckygirl Wed 07-Sep-16 14:02:23

Sadly this sort of thing has happened since time immemorial - being afraid of anyone who seems "different" and expressing that fear as violence. How do we stop it? - heaven knows. It seems to be hard-wired from the days when we were fighting our tribal corner. Very very sad.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Sep-16 14:07:05

Two boys, 11 and 12 are being questioned.

What is it all about? confused

rosesarered Wed 07-Sep-16 14:07:06

Indeed it does, white against black, black against Asian, African origin against West Indian origin.

Anniebach Wed 07-Sep-16 14:17:25

I agree it has always been so but race crimes have increased since the referendum , people now feel free to be racist

Ana Wed 07-Sep-16 14:18:34

Ha! I wondered how long it would be before someone blamed Brexit...

Anniebach Wed 07-Sep-16 14:22:18

Not blaming Brexit, just repeating what police forces are saying. And it is true , people feel free to express their racist views far more publicly now. So not Brexit to blame but the racist rants from Farage and Co.

sunseeker Wed 07-Sep-16 14:33:50

It's heartbreaking that this poor child was attacked simply for being different. Bristol is, on the whole, an easygoing accepting city. The ages of the suspected offenders is also very sad - this is obviously learned behaviour.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Sep-16 16:03:00

Cameron has a lot to answer for with that stupid referendum.

pollyperkins Wed 07-Sep-16 16:11:19

As I have some young mixed race grandchildren I can only hope this sort of thing never happens to them. My DiL is Asian,