(268 Posts)
daphnedill Fri 09-Sep-16 09:25:20

Mosborough (Sheffield) result:
LDEM: 45.6% (+31.8)
LAB: 34.1% (-9.2)
UKIP: 12.4% (-9.8)
CON: 6.1% (-7.9)
GRN: 1.8% (-1.3)

The LibDems won a council seat from Labour yesterday with a huge swing. Does anybody know this seat and know what's going on?

Jane10 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:39:06

Interesting. Massive swing away from the usual suspects. Possibly a very popular candidate or maybe just a move away from the usual suspects.

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-16 09:40:20

The Libs will gain more seats , come the next election they will win quite a few, voters will turn to the Libs because they do not want the Tories who have gone further right and do not want labour because it has gone to the far left.

daphnedill Fri 09-Sep-16 09:56:32

It's only one seat in a local election, but I wonder if it is significant. I couldn't help noting the fall in the UKIP vote too. Maybe UKIP's had its day with the referendum won. I know we've discussed before whether there's a place for a centrist party...maybe there is!

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-16 10:00:27

There is Daphne, it was a move to the centre that won Labour three elections

trisher Fri 09-Sep-16 10:01:41

We've had Liberal members on our local (mostly Labour) council for ages. They are usually in areas that hesitate to support Labour but can't bring themselves to vote Conservative. On the other hand they are often very locally active and work very hard.

Tegan Fri 09-Sep-16 10:13:40

I'm so pleased to hear this. The LibDems should never have been demonised in the way that they have been, having reined back so many Tory policies during the coalition. I so hope that any new found popularity is partly down to the demise of the scum that is UKIP. The LibDems have always been the 'Jiminy Crickets' of the political world and we need them now more than ever, especially now that they realise what difficult decisions power can bring with it.

Jane10 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:18:18

I agree. We've had LibDem councillors and MP in the past and they really work hard.

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-16 17:09:08

Surprising considering there was a massive Corbyn rally there just a few weeks so

Devorgilla Fri 09-Sep-16 21:52:35

I gather in excess of 40 of JC's followers spent the evening of the election phone banking for support for him as leader instead of getting the vote out in the time honoured way of knocking up. Leader before Party.

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-16 22:09:34

Devor, it's what matters to his supporters, sod the party we just want Jeremy to win

durhamjen Fri 09-Sep-16 23:07:12

The labour candidate was anti-Corbyn, she didn't live in the area, but 16 miles away, she never mentioned Corbyn on her leaflets. The libdem had been a councillor for four years until 2012 when she was ousted because of the backlash against the libdems. They wanted her back instead of an outsider.
Or the majority of the 28% who bothered to vote did.
So it's not that surprising, really.

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-16 23:16:56

If the above post is correct it proves I was right in my earlier post, no interest in the party only in Corbyn , pathetic

durhamjen Fri 09-Sep-16 23:33:09

No, the candidate didn't live in the constituency. That's why they did not vote for her.
Sad that they could not choose a candidate who lived in the constituency. Why did they not do that?
It's a council vacancy, not an MP vacancy.
The libdem candidate was well known, had worked for them before until 2012 and was taken back by them. It wasn't a labour seat until 2012.

Why do you have to turn everything into an anti-Corbyn rant?

If the above post is correct? You can find out for yourself on Labourlist.

durhamjen Fri 09-Sep-16 23:36:21

labourlist.org/2016/09/labour-slips-to-shock-defeat-in-sheffield-council-by-election/

durhamjen Fri 09-Sep-16 23:44:54

Is that where you got your figures from, daphne?
I agree with you, it's not a Labour rout particularly, as UKIP and the Tories also lost as many votes, so you could say it was the UKIP and Tory voters who gave the seat back to the libdems.

Anniebach Fri 09-Sep-16 23:47:20

Jen, rant? you grt hysterical if there is any criticism of Corbyn , I post one sentence and you accuse me of posting a rent, I dislike the man, he is a hypocrite and stuck in the past, little wonder he was thrilled when UB40 turned up to support him , pathetic

durhamjen Fri 09-Sep-16 23:53:28

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/09/09/labour-is-in-power-locally/

There are charts on here showing that Labour has control of most local authorities.
Someone has noticed that they are not up-to-date in York, so it would be interesting to know if your local authority figures are correct, or if the council has changed hands since these figures.
It shows Sheffield as having 58 Labour out of the 84. Obviously it's now only 57, but I don't think they are in danger of losing the council.

durhamjen Sat 10-Sep-16 00:09:24

Another rant.

durhamjen Sat 10-Sep-16 00:10:20

What have I said that's hysterical?

Anniebach Sat 10-Sep-16 08:22:00

Jen, I do not trust Corbyn, I believe he is a hypocrite, he is self serving, he will lead the party into the wilderness leaving the country under Tory rule for decades, unless the Libs can become the oposition party.

The voters do not want an aging hippie for PM

This is my opinion on the man,, i am free to say so without you pouncing and accusing me of ranting. So accept it please .

daphnedill Sat 10-Sep-16 08:47:25

It's quite scary how much influence Ukip has in the Eastern counties.

daphnedill Sat 10-Sep-16 08:54:09

I wonder how many people are represented in the various different kinds of council. Essex County Council, for example, represents a population of about 1,400,000, whereas I'm guessing some of the Metropolitan councils are a lot smaller.

daphnedill Sat 10-Sep-16 09:04:47

Just looked at the link and seen which parties the Sheffield councillors belong to. I don't think that Labour is in much danger of losing either. hmm It doesn't have a single Conservative councillor.

daphnedill Sat 10-Sep-16 09:06:59

Manchester is 100% Labour. Wow! I don't think Andy Burnham will have much trouble being elected mayor. grin

(Sorry! I'll shut up now, because i've posted too much on this thread.)