Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liam Fox latest

(47 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Sep-16 09:45:54

and another example of the intelligence, or lack of it of Brexit politicians

No wonder industry chiefs have steam coming our of their ears this morning. hmm

daphnedill Sat 10-Sep-16 09:53:07

I was a bit open-mouthed when I read that this morning. What's Liam Fox going to do? Put a gun to their heads and make them go abroad to sell?

It comes to something when the Tories even manage to upset industry chiefs.

janeainsworth Sat 10-Sep-16 09:56:57

Liam Fox isn't known for his tact and diplomacy, or even his intelligence.
No 10 was quick to point out he was expressing a 'personal view'.
He might find himself demoted before too long.

thatbags Sat 10-Sep-16 09:58:58

In the interest of accurate reporting, here's the full transcript of what he said.

It's possible not to agree with his views without focussing on one small bunch of flammable words.

thatbags Sat 10-Sep-16 10:03:53

I don't think the speech shows lack of intelligence. I think he has a point.

Before I get slagged off, please be aware that I have not expressed an opinion on the speech except to say that I think he has a point. I think his idea about basing plans on a 'mercantilist' approach rather than a 'cartographer' appraoch is worth listening to.

I know bugger all about international trade (like most of us on here, probably). I'm interested to hear opposing points of view too.

thatbags Sat 10-Sep-16 10:05:18

Or, to put it another way, please remember that we are discussing Liam Fox's view of international trade, not mine.

janeainsworth Sat 10-Sep-16 10:24:46

Well, he seems to be assuming that all those who voted for Brexit did so because they thought it would be easier to export, and this would increase Britain's standing in the world and our self respect.
I'm not sure that most people who voted Brexit had that thought uppermost in their minds.
Secondly, it's now easier to export because the value of the pound against other currencies has fallen..... Are the Brexiteers going to take the credit for that?

janeainsworth Sat 10-Sep-16 10:27:07

The comment about golf was still a cheap jibe at people he presumably wants to get on side.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Sep-16 10:31:34

Surely he realises that businessmen have to run their companies to make profits. And, no, that isn't a dirty word. It means the company can employ, and pay decently, more workers and keep the investors happy. Does he really think heads of industry are suddenly going to become all the patriot, and run their companies for the good of the country?

Get real Fox.

thatbags Sat 10-Sep-16 10:44:44

Value of pound against other currencies has risen since Brexit. It's not back to its pre-Brexit level but its fall has been nothing like what was expected by some forecasters.

Cheap jibe? Big deal. Politicians do that all the time. They're human and do/say silly stuff like the rest of us. The mercantilist thing made sense to me, at least until someone else says something that makes even more sense.

smile

janeainsworth Sat 10-Sep-16 10:48:39

It's not statesmanlike for politicians to make cheap jibes at each other Bags, although I accept that they do.
But stupid to make them about the very people you want to actually deliver your policy for you!

daphnedill Sat 10-Sep-16 10:49:26

Our goods are cheaper at the moment because of the pound's devaluation, but that won't last indefinitely once we have to start paying more for our imports to make the goods we export.

Fox has a point that the big problem for the UK economy is the balance of trade deficit (not benefit scroungers, too much state spending, etc). Years ago, trade figures used to make headline news, but in the last decade or so, it's all been about GDP, structural deficits and triple A rating (although we don't hear much about that since we lost it).

HOWEVER, the majority of our exports come from financial services, especially to the US, which uses the UK as a gateway to the EU. If the City loses its 'passporting' rights, the UK is really up [expletive] creek.

I wonder what Fox thinks the British make which could be exported. Even Jeremy Hunt's attempt to sell marmalade to the Japanese ended in failure. There's no point opening up markets if we have nothing to sell. Countries such as China and India will can beat the British on price, unless the UK introduces slave labour wages.

Thanks for posting the speech, thatbags, and I agree that what he said doesn't seem quite so blunt as the headlines, but it's still a lot of hot air and the bit about playing golf is still downright insulting.

janeainsworth Sat 10-Sep-16 10:52:03

My SiL who works in video production has just written this on his FB page
"This makes me really angry. 99% of the folk I meet are working their socks off.

There is an issue with uk productivity per head and employee engagement but these comments are totally unhelpful."

thatbags Sat 10-Sep-16 10:52:43

Agreed, but... Shrug. I don't actually care that much whether he is statesman-like. I'm sure he's doing his best hmm

Whenever my dad used to say he was doing his best, my mum would always reply: "Well, it's not good enough". I guess that's what ppl are saying about Fox.

Shrug again. Anyone got an idea of who'd do it better? No, me neither. Cynical? Yup.

thatbags Sat 10-Sep-16 10:53:33

The agreed bit is replying to ja and dd.

daphnedill Sat 10-Sep-16 10:59:34

Maybe he really has been set up to fail! hmm hmm

janeainsworth Sat 10-Sep-16 11:05:29

But Bags politicians not being statesmanlike, making cheap jibes, fiddling their expenses, going to prison for perverting the course of justice..... it's a slippery slope down which far too many of them have gone, and is in essence a failure to respect the dignity of office.
It's why they have lost the respect of the people, and why it's unfair on the ones who do recognise the responsibility we have placed in them, are hardworking, honest and get their points across with logic and without resorting to insult.

GillT57 Sat 10-Sep-16 11:45:22

I think this is just the first example of Teresa May's cunning plan to let the Brexiteers make arses fools of themselves.

Skullduggery Sat 10-Sep-16 15:10:37

Liam Fox doesn't need any help to make himself look more of a twat than he already is. He was my local MP before I moved and was always a posturing prat.
Luckily for him, he lives in an area where they'd vote for a gerbil if it was waving a Tory flag. hmm

Welshwife Sat 10-Sep-16 15:41:42

If Macron gets his way the UK will not be allowed to keep the passporting for the City - he looks like being a contestant in next year's French Presidential election - he has said that for all Euro deals to go through UK when it is not in the EU or Eurozone is ridiculous - once again he has used the analogy of belonging to a club and paying the fees.

Lazigirl Sat 10-Sep-16 17:34:29

As usual an MP spouting opinion without any solid facts to back it up. In fact UK comes 3rd highest for exports/head in G7 countries and is 27% above G7 average. Richard Reed co-founder of Innocent Drinks gave a vigorous rebuttal on Today Programme and commented that Fox had never done a day's business in his life!

grumppa Sat 10-Sep-16 18:09:37

His use of statistics was well down to referendum debate standards. Of course only a small percentage of businesses export: every corner shop, every hairdresser, is a business. Every GP practice is a business. The man's an idiot.

thatbags Sat 10-Sep-16 18:19:26

ja, I agree about the reasons people have lost respect for some politicians. I never respect 'offices' (as in your dignity of offfice remark), only people. So I can respect hard working politicians however badly some others behave.

Sorry, just being pedantic, but slippery slope is a logical fallacy.

And since I'm being picky, I can be interested in an idea that a politician proposes even if I think he's a twit or a jerk.

grumppa, I like it.

I just saw a tweet saying that the reason people are so outraged by Fox's fat and lazy remark is because there,s an element of truth in it.

So really, I'm just enjoying the fun. And I still know bugger all about international trade.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Sep-16 18:30:39

It's all about sporting Bags. I think.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Sep-16 18:31:02

No it's not! Exporting