Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brittania - Mark II

(10 Posts)
CelticRose Thu 13-Oct-16 17:43:05

I note that the papers are reporting that yet again
a Mark II superyacht should be paid for by businessmen - and donations from the public, such as the person who supposedly offered to forego their Winter Fuel Allowance. (Not sure who will operate or protect the vessel given the last 20 years of defence cuts. Nor who will pay for the upkeep.) Apparently, it is suggested that this will bring in more business to UK as well as being of use for the younger members of the Royal family. In Singapore, businesses pay for the health care of those not able to afford it, and for the care of their ageing population who have worked for a peaceful retirement. If businessmen, and donations from the public, can fund such a seagoing vessel, why can't such funds be directed to education and apprenticeships to equip and train youth? Surely, this would bring business back to this country just as well and give many more people opportunities.

Jalima Thu 13-Oct-16 17:48:56

Well, if it were to be built here then there would be jobs and probably apprenticeships in ship-building

The vessel – which retired from service in 1997 – is estimated to have played a role in securing £3 billion-worth of trade deals between 1991 and 1995.
which would easily off-set the cost

Just a thought

nigglynellie Thu 13-Oct-16 19:57:05

A very valid one Jalima and worth serious thought.

Smileless2012 Thu 13-Oct-16 21:27:49

Yes, that's a good point Jalima, not sure why younger members of the royal family should be able to have the use of it though.

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 12:31:05

Boris may hog it so perhaps they wouldn't be able to Smileless2012 wink

gillybob Fri 14-Oct-16 12:55:07

Absolutely not. Infact the very thought of such a thing is obscene. If the royals want a luxury yacht then they should buy one and pay the ongoing running costs themselves .
Breath . In and out, in and out .

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 13:04:33

um er, it would not be so much a 'Royal Yacht' as a yacht to fly the British flag and secure trade deals for Britain.

Do not under-estimate the Royal Family's importance in that sphere gillybob, however much you hate them.
Not everyone out there in the wider world dislikes them as much as you say you do.

It's trade deals, trade deals, trade deals, and if HM fancies a couple of weeks holiday on there as a thank you for all the incoming business they have brought to the UK, that is perfectly OK by me.

Some RN personnel are very proud to have had a commission on the Yacht.

GillT57 Fri 14-Oct-16 13:42:23

Absolutely not. I am indifferent to the Royal Family, do not hate them, but the thought of that pompous ass Andrew swanning around on a royal yacht in a pretence at gaining business deals is a sickening thought. I do not under-estimate the importance of the Royal family in the sphere of world business, but this is a step far too far. The kind of deals that are done with people who are impressed by being on a yacht of any kind are not the kind of deals we need anyway, unless you think that arms deals with the murderous Saudis are worth the cost of the yacht........and breathe......

nigglynellie Fri 14-Oct-16 14:10:40

I'm afraid in the real world, like it or not, they're exactly the sort of deals we need if we are to maintain all the social amenities so dear to all of us and which are so hugely expensive. You may dislike Prince Andrew but certain business people dont, and I would rather this spoilt second son did something to enhance business than sit at home being a pain in the you know where! A new yacht, the building of which will create much needed jobs, engenders the money for the things we need, then bring it on!

gillybob Fri 14-Oct-16 16:10:01

I don't hate anyone Jalima .