Gransnet forums

News & politics

Witney by-election

(21 Posts)
daphnedill Fri 21-Oct-16 04:09:08

Not surprisingly, the Conservatives have held Witney, but with a considerably reduced majority. The 2015 and 2010 percentages are in brackets.

Con 45.02% (60.2%/58.8%)
LDs 30.19% (6.8%/19.4%)
Lab 14.99% (17.2%/13%)
UKIP 3.5% (9.2%/3.5%)

That's an incredible result for the LibDems and UKIP have returned to their 2010 percentage.

Is this a sign of things to come?

The shire council elections are next year, so it will be interesting to see if the LibDems can win back some of the seats they've lost since 2010.

Will different areas of the country show different trends?

daphnedill Fri 21-Oct-16 04:14:00

PS. Witney voted quite strongly to remain in the EU, so was this a reaction to the threat of 'hard BREXIT'?

Carolest59 Fri 21-Oct-16 04:34:16

Yes I think this it's the only reason the lib dems did well here,because they campaigned on a strong pro eu ticket which might appeal to the Witney electorate.A new MP candidate after a popular one like Cameron always gets a reduced majority.

rosesarered Fri 21-Oct-16 12:01:28

No, don't think so at all.More a reaction to Cameron dumping them as an MP.I have a couple of friends there, and they say people were livid about Cameron both going as a PM but especially as their MP.

daphnedill Fri 21-Oct-16 12:12:53

Hmmm now I'm confused.

One poster describes Cameron as 'popular' and another says people were 'livid' with him.

Ana Fri 21-Oct-16 12:17:37

Well, presumably he was popular until he ran out on them...

Anniebach Fri 21-Oct-16 13:45:28

I think the Libs are on the road back. What happened to Labours vote now we have this new leader !

Eloethan Fri 21-Oct-16 14:02:11

In a constituency like Witney, there is far more chance of people voting for the Lib Dems than Labour. One interpretation of these results could be that some Labour voters decided to vote Lib Dem in an effort to get the Conservatives out or at least seriously unnerve them.

But keep up the good work anniebach of talking down the party you profess to love.

Anniebach Fri 21-Oct-16 14:08:37

, but you are confusing my loyalty to the Labour Party with Corbynites loyalty to the far left . My loyalty is to the party not to militants or the militant leader

daphnedill Fri 21-Oct-16 14:47:04

The Labour vote has remained fairly constant.

Peep Fri 21-Oct-16 15:01:04

The percentage of votes Robert Courts got is very similar to DCs percentage when he first stood in Witney.
The Lib Dems were certainly very persuasive with their mountains of leaflets that kept arriving everyday, plus yesterday 3 phone calls and one door knocker.
Labour put up a good candidate.
Thank goodness it's over, worse than the GE for the amount of paper that needs recycling!

Jalima Fri 21-Oct-16 15:57:29

All those trees .....

Peep Fri 21-Oct-16 18:50:37

My thoughts exactly Jalima.

durhamjen Tue 25-Oct-16 12:52:41

Another by election to look forward to.
Zac Goldsmith says he is standing down because of Heathrow.

daphnedill Tue 25-Oct-16 13:16:20

Oooh! Tim Farron must be rubbing his hands in glee! It will be an uphill struggle, but Goldsmith has hinted that he'll run as an Independent. He voted to leave the EU, but his constituents voted overwhelmingly to remain with one of the biggest Remain majorities in the country. Richmond Park was a LD seat until 2010.

I was thinking the other day that Goldsmith had been very quiet since the London Mayoral election.

Anniebach Tue 25-Oct-16 13:20:39

Goldmith said this morning he will speak to his constituency before making any announcements

Boris Johnson said he would throw himself under the wheels of a vehicle !

daphnedill Tue 25-Oct-16 13:21:57

We can but hope! wink

Eloethan Wed 26-Oct-16 00:47:14

Most of these people think that extra capacity is needed somewhere, but not in an area they represent or in which they live.

It is argued that we need more runways to be competitive with other nations. It is said that the number of cars on the roads increases as the number of roads are increased or improved. In a similar way, the number of air passengers will also increase as the number of planes flying increases. I feel that no runways should be built anywhere. We already have an worldwide environmental crisis and there isn't much point being competing ourselves out of existence.

daphnedill Wed 26-Oct-16 00:59:42

The Conservatives have announced that they won't field a candidate to stand against Zac Goldsmith in the Richmond Park by election.

daphnedill Wed 26-Oct-16 01:04:55

That's a canny political move by the Conservatives, because it won't split their vote. However, my guess is that the LDs will concentrate on post-Brexit, which could make it interesting in a constituency where 75% voted to remain, but Goldsmith supported Leave.

durhamjen Wed 26-Oct-16 10:18:56

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/10/26/will-labour-have-the-sense-to-sit-out-the-richmond-by-election/