Gransnet forums

News & politics

Terror attacks in France and Tunisia/now

(393 Posts)
POGS Fri 26-Jun-15 13:19:20

What a scary time we live in.

One man beheaded this morning in France, now at least 19 people killed in attacks on 'possibly' 2 hotels in Sousse, Tunisia. That is what is being reported at the moment, they are believed to be tourists.

It must be terrifying for those on holiday being told to barricade themselves in their rooms.

Just awful.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Jun-15 13:24:23

I believe the beheading was a result of the explosion. Just saying.

Horrible all round.

POGS Fri 26-Jun-15 13:37:41

I have heard differently jingle.

I heard the decapitated head was found on a fence with an Islamic flag nearby and they are saying it was an act of terrorism.

It is awful listening to holiday families speaking to the news stations whilst locked in their rooms. You would be terrified for yourself but if you have children with you it must be even more terrifying.

POGS Fri 26-Jun-15 13:39:59

Now reporting 27 murdered.

I can't write what I truly feel!

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-15 13:49:10

DD2 and her family are due to go to Morocco this summer. I now it's a different part of North Africa but is anywhere safe?

I hope they cancel. hmm

rosesarered Fri 26-Jun-15 13:50:12

Just awful, for both cases.We would not consider going on holiday to any Muslim country now.

Joan Fri 26-Jun-15 13:52:47

For many years now, since the Bali bombings that killed so many Australians, I have been certain that I would never go to a Muslim country on holiday. This Tunisian atrocity makes me even more certain.

It is terrible that innocent holiday makers were slaughtered for no reason whatsoever except some sort of hatred of Westerners like us.

After it is all over, Tunisia may well pay a huge price, as tourism could be seriously affected. Thus the innocent will suffer again.

Ramadan has just begun - I would have thought this would be a period of peace, but the opposite is happening.

I never thought the world would go like this. How can we understand it all? Since 2001, the news headlines have been like the beginning of a dystopian science fiction, futuristic novel.

Except it is for real.

loopylou Fri 26-Jun-15 13:53:32

Appalling news, I can't find the words to express what I feel, very, very shocking sad

nigglynellie Fri 26-Jun-15 15:03:55

I think what is equally if not more worrying is the weak almost dysfunctional politicians in continental europe who bicker and squabble while the rest of the world goes up in flames one way or another. The fact that there seems nobody in this group who comes across as a leader with any backbone is acutely disturbing. Heaven only knows what the future holds, but it doesn't look good.

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-15 15:59:19

And THIS

nigglynellie Fri 26-Jun-15 16:11:04

O.M. goodness, this is just too shocking, words fail me,I don't know what to say.

TriciaF Fri 26-Jun-15 16:17:37

That's really frightening.
From a personal point of view, our eldest and his family have just returned to UK from Kuwait for the summer. They live there, and I've visited twice. The Kuwaitis are very moderate generous people, not given to violence.

granjura Fri 26-Jun-15 16:30:28

the attack in France was perpetrated by a guy from our local town- father of 3 children sad

KatyK Fri 26-Jun-15 17:18:33

I'm with you roses. Wild horses wouldn't drag me to any of those countries. How dreadful granjura.

Galen Fri 26-Jun-15 17:23:38

The hotel in Sousse is one my late do and I stayed at in 1968. It was lovely and peaceful then.

TriciaF Fri 26-Jun-15 17:34:02

Ramadan - going without food all day makes people more irritable, not more peaceful.

Marelli Fri 26-Jun-15 17:38:31

One of the reports I read commented that because it was Ramadan, there would be fewer Muslim people on the beach, only foreign holiday makers.

harrigran Fri 26-Jun-15 17:55:54

Tunisia has been troubled for a while, 22 people killed in March and in 2013. I see a Belgian airline has halted flights, hope that doesn't mean those there can not leave.

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-15 18:08:00

DD and family stayed in that hotel three years ago shock I'll be phoning her tomorrow so hopefully they'll have decided against going to Morocco. We've had three incidents today but who knows if that's it??

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 28-Jun-15 23:39:02

Absolutely heartbreaking news! They are now saying 30 British are dead but some poor people still not identified!

annodomini Sun 28-Jun-15 23:51:47

I know that my GD1 is going tomorrow for a week in Turkey with her BF and I am sure the beach resorts there will be vulnerable. Fingers firmly crossed. What more can I do?

absent Mon 29-Jun-15 06:26:49

Galen That was in the days of President Habib Bourguiba and is one more example of the stability that comes with tyranny – perhaps tyranny in the ancient Roman sense as he was, at least quite a lot of the time, much more forward thinking than many other Arab leaders. Nevertheless he was a heavily authoritative president and Tunisia was a highly controlled one-party state for a long time. Tunisia seems to be another case of when it falls apart, it really falls apart.

Mishap Mon 29-Jun-15 08:45:06

I really do worry for the futures of my children and dear grandchildren. It is too dreadful for words.

KatyK Mon 29-Jun-15 09:53:47

Me too Mishap sad

Soutra Mon 29-Jun-15 09:57:06

And some people wonder why fundamentalism is a dangerous thing?