Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is it sensible to appoint so many new peers?

(73 Posts)
Lilygran Thu 27-Aug-15 18:25:26

Just been announced that the membership of the House of Lords is now 800+ after today's new appointments. Does this make any kind of sense? The HoL is now tha largest legislative body in the world, except for China.

Luckygirl Thu 27-Aug-15 18:30:40

800! - and they have appointed more! The sooner places stop being gifts to political party members the better. There will be no end to it.

whitewave Thu 27-Aug-15 18:32:34

Sensible from Cameron's viewpoint - he has a lot of dodgy stuff he wants to get through.

soontobe Thu 27-Aug-15 20:48:37

I would add my name to something to complain about that.

durhamjen Thu 27-Aug-15 20:56:42

Have you seen who they are, as well?

Hogg, the man who claimed expenses for cleaning his moat. He had to repay £2000, I think. He'll be able to reclaim in less than two weeks.

A woman who set up a company which did not pay the minimum wage.

Here's the list if you want to see it.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/27/the-new-peerages-and-the-new-house-of-lords-full-list

Riverwalk Thu 27-Aug-15 21:20:45

Over 800 members of the unelected chamber compared to 650 for The Commons - we are supposed to be a parliamentary democracy!

No other Western country would tolerate such a situation.

Nandalot Thu 27-Aug-15 22:01:56

And they want to cut the number of MPs to 600!

Eloethan Fri 28-Aug-15 01:37:56

826 I think. It's farcical. The only other country, apparently, that has a larger second chamber is China.

There was a phone in on Radio Five Live this morning re the House of Lords. When I switched on a woman caller was absolutely apoplectic with rage, which was further exacerbated when a person from the House of Lords said they needed £300 a day because they had to spend time and money getting to the HL. Perhaps they're not aware that millions of people do this every day and often for less than £300 a week.

The arrogance and sense of entitlement that some of the HLs' remarks revealed was astounding - a complete inability to understand why subsidised meals and drinks were looked upon as unnecessary and unfair perks, given the size of their daily allowance.

absent Fri 28-Aug-15 06:52:53

Of course it's not sensible; it is completely ridiculous. I maintain that it is hugely important to have a second chamber, especially as, post-Blair, Prime Minsters have become increasingly presidential in style and have increasingly sidelined back benchers to the detriment of democracy. I don't think the second chamber should be appointed but elected and I think both chambers should be smaller and less confrontational. How I wish the Palace of Westminster would just disintegrate overnight and then a new building with circular rather than rectangular formats – and, for that matter, enough offices but without anywhere for MPs to hang their swords – could be constructed. It could also be double glazed, have an efficient heating system and the lights automatically switched off at night. Dream on, absent, dream on.

whitewave Fri 28-Aug-15 08:20:46

Listening to Today with 2 peers, they are discussing reform, but not one suggestion that it is undemocratic in any way. Someone needs to bang their heads together.

Luckygirl Fri 28-Aug-15 09:32:35

Any petitions available to sign on this issue?

It's no good trying to get MPs to take action - they are looking to their own future!

durhamjen Fri 28-Aug-15 11:07:58

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/abolish-the-house-of-lords

whenim64 Fri 28-Aug-15 11:41:27

Thanks, dj Signed

Anniebach Fri 28-Aug-15 12:04:20

We need a second chamber but not this freebie debacle , this time even advisors to Cameron through the election are in there, quite surprised he hasn't put Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks in . Nothing will be done, Cameron has five years in power

Stansgran Fri 28-Aug-15 14:47:22

It's an absolute shameful disgrace

durhamjen Fri 28-Aug-15 15:16:26

Corbyn has voted for 100% elected house of lords. If he is the Labour Leader at the next election he will stand by that. Then we'll see how many voters think so, too.
By the way, the petition is to abolish it in its present form.

Eloethan Fri 28-Aug-15 15:24:49

Thanks, I've signed it.

whitewave Fri 28-Aug-15 15:25:29

Talk about pigs at the trough, and the food is subsidised.

durhamjen Fri 28-Aug-15 15:59:50

Didn't know which thread to put this on.

voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/08/28/ids-special-adviser-gets-peerage-as-dwp-admits-thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessments/

Anya Fri 28-Aug-15 16:15:51

Are there enough chairs?

durhamjen Fri 28-Aug-15 16:17:40

Yes, whitewave. Why do they need £300 a day when the food is subsidised?

whitewave Fri 28-Aug-15 16:33:33

Because they feel fully entitled to rip off the tax payer. Mr Moat won't even have to try any more. Just turn up sign in and go off for a jolly on £300, stopping for a cheap lunch on the way.

People moan about Brussels! Difficult to differentiate between the two on principle. The Commission lacks democracy and there are plenty of snouts in troughs. I expect when Mandleson has finished his term he will slide gently into the HoLs for more freebies. Nice work if you can get it!

Perhaps we should let it be known that we no longer wish our tax to be used for this.

whitewave Fri 28-Aug-15 16:36:26

That is of course if we pay any. Do they pay tax on this allowance? Is it classed as a grant or what? Anybody know?

Nandalot Fri 28-Aug-15 16:37:16

Don't worry about the chairs, Anya. I expect quite a lot of them might be stay at home peers .
( oops mistyped at first and left out the r).

auntbett Fri 28-Aug-15 23:25:32

OBN. The network where nepotism, greed, dodgy favours, hidden corruption, dodgy dealing, creative accounting and a hint of moral degradation seem to be totally acceptable and even applauded. The seediness of the House of Commons requires some tempering by a second chamber, but what's the point when it's more of the same? Time for a change? Yes, but it won't happen - the status quo is very comfy for some.