Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does Violence in films and video games condone violence?

(6 Posts)
janeainsworth Fri 28-Aug-15 10:24:42

On Thought for the Day, Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks said that by the age of 18, Americans would have witnessed about 20,000 killings through watching films and video games.
He then went on to say that by accepting this level of violence on our screens, we were all guilty of condoning violence in our society.
Leaving aside the question of the accuracy of these figures, is it true that we all bear guilt for the killings this week in America and the atrocities committed by extremists of all persuasions?
Is it time to reintroduce censorship?

soontobe Fri 28-Aug-15 10:38:13

I certianly wouldnt say we bear guilt.
A normal minded person is responsible for their own behaviour.

I have come to the conclusion over the years, that violent films and video games affect some people.

As regards censorship. Do we not have that already?
It is a question of it not being enforced either at home or, and here I am struggling to think where else.

TriciaF Fri 28-Aug-15 11:06:27

I heard part ofthat talk, but missed the bit about condoning violence. By allowing violent video games to continue do we bear collective guilt? Maybe to some extent.
I do believe that continued exposure to violence leads to reduced "shockability". And could lead the more vulnerable to use a gun and act violently.
Parents can censor the games etc that their children use and see, but what about adults? The web is so widespread, it's impossible to police it now. Simpler to police the ownership of guns.

rosesarered Fri 28-Aug-15 12:36:55

No, I don't think we can blame ourselves, and unless a lot of research is done( maybe it has?) is there really anything to link violent games with real life violence?most people know the difference between games and real life, and sadly really violent people have always done shocking things, way before the Internet became available or films or tv.

Eloethan Fri 28-Aug-15 18:55:29

I do remember when I was studying seeing footage of a psychology experiment in which children looked through a window into a room containing an adult and a large plastic doll, weighted at the bottom. The child then watched as the adult started to punch and kick the doll. A significant number of the children (though more boys than girls) when later placed in the room with the same doll, started to copy the behaviour of the adult - punching, kicking and shouting.

It did suggest that violent behaviour is learned - although some might say that hitting a large plastic doll is different from hitting another child or adult.

No doubt there are other experiments on the same subject which demonstrate completely different behaviour or which provide different explanations!

absent Fri 28-Aug-15 21:12:30

I was reading something that touched on this the other day. The essence of what was said was that the majority of people who play violent video games are perfectly clear about the differences between reality and fantasy. (Throughout history there have always been representations of violence that some considered cathartic.)

However, there are those who spend more or less every waking hour playing violent games, not pausing for proper meals, proper hygiene or adequate sleep. Some of these people not so much lose their ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy as accept virtual reality as their world. The people with whom they play these games become their main human contacts, increasing their connection with their virtual world.