Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cameron Shaming the Country

(592 Posts)
Gracesgran Thu 03-Sep-15 13:09:05

This is Alex Salmond's comment on how Cameron is dealing with the migrant crisis.

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/13642051.Alex_Salmond_says_David_Cameron_is__shaming_humanity__over_migration_crisis/

As shame in my countries response was what I have been feeling, I can only agree with him.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Sep-15 13:14:58

Quoting DC from the article:

During a visit to Northamptonshire, he said: “We have taken a number of genuine asylum seekers from Syrian refugee camps and we keep that under review, but we think the most important thing is to try to bring peace and stability to that part of the world. I don’t think there is an answer that can be achieved simply by taking more and more refugees.”

How is he going to "try and bring stability etc"? How long has the war been going on for now?

Stupid.

vegasmags Thu 03-Sep-15 13:25:51

According to the News at One on Radio 4 a few minutes ago, we have taken in 5,000 Syrian asylum seekers in the last 4 years! I also am feeling ashamed of my country's mean spirited and selfish response. These people cannot wait until a political solution is found.

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 13:26:21

Politicians never seem to actually DO anything, do they? They're always telling us what SHOULD or MUST be done, 'opening debates' and 'asking questions' and 'starting conversations'. Of course they should consult with appropriate parties and take their views into account but at some point they need to take the initiative and ACT. That's what we elected them for. Mind you, when they do act we rarely like what they do, I suppose!

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 13:31:08

Of course, DC is playing politics. The Tories were scared witless by UKIP's successes before the election and therefore adopted some of UKIP's policies. Now they are reaping the result of that strategy. It's all mad.....maad, I say.

Anniebach Thu 03-Sep-15 13:40:02

Let's be fair to Cameron - difficult for me - Cameron is refusing to give shelter to more refugees because the majority in the country do not want refugees here. Tory HQ and No 10 will be gauging public opinion , if the majority were to change their views on helping the refugees Cameron would act . Not that he cares about the emotions of the people, just he wants to be popular with them

NfkDumpling Thu 03-Sep-15 13:40:32

Just listening to Radio Four. This is getting increasingly scary. It seems that Mr Salmonds thinks we should take a percentage of all those who wish to come without any checks. A percentage of what?

If we let those in Hungary, etc have their way they will all arrive in Germany en masse with no checks whatsoever on who they are. Germany must be really struggling to process those already there. There is no let up in those coming, no end in sight. Can Northern Europe (they won't stay in eastern or southern countries) really take most of the population of Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, plus the odd one or two ISIS and Taliban who slip through in the mass? Because there doesn't seem to be any sign of a let up.

I'm all in favour of helping those in need - but can we? Where do we draw the line? The ones with lots of money are already here. The ones now coming have - had - some money to pay the traffickers. Then there are the ones left who will just keep walking. Then there will be another war somewhere.......

It's scary.

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 13:51:11

You talk a lot of sense NfkDumpling. I can't disagree with that. I still think the only solution is to set up decent refugee camps in Northern Africa. I was wondering about Spain (lots of space there) but I think it would need to be out of Europe in order not to have the necessity for heavy policing. I feel desperately sorry for these poor people and agree with others that much of it is the fault of the West but we don't have the resources or infrastructure to consider allowing huge numbers to migrate to the EU. Let's set up well-provided-for camps where refugees can safely go. It's not a long-long term solution but would be a sensible start.

NfkDumpling Thu 03-Sep-15 14:01:40

I was wondering about Spain too NTO. They do have a lot of space and a more recent history of Islam, so maybe a bit more culturally aware.

A big problem is the refugees themselves. The current uproar in Hungary was because the train they all boarded so eagerly was only going to a transit camp to process them. They don't want to be processed. I'm not sure if they actually know what they do want, hysteria has taken hold. I gather a lot have destroyed their papers not realising how counterproductive this is. We can't risk letting in ISIS / IS ((whatever they are now) members in in the rush.

merlotgran Thu 03-Sep-15 14:09:25

Transit camps have been used in the past to provide temporary accommodation for mass movement of people, especially after WW2. I agree with Nfk and NotToOld. Northern Europe will be brought to its knees trying to cope with a never ending flow of immigrants/refugees.

durhamjen Thu 03-Sep-15 14:10:37

Cameron hiding behind statistics again.

fullfact.org/factcheck/immigration/uk_216_syrian_refugees-45984

We've taken 5000 Syrians since 2011 - not many compared to Germany's 35,000.

This is the worst crisis since WWll. During that war we built a whole village in Birtley for Polish women, I think it was, so the women could work on munitions.
A few rich philanthropists could solve the crisis in an instant. They've taken enough money from us in unpaid taxes. There are whole streets in London owned by middle east money rich princes, and many of the houses are empty. I wonder why they do not want to help their fellow men.

Just heard Osborne say what you want to do first is tackle ISIS!!!!!
Stupid, stupid man. How will that save one life today or tomorrow?

NfkDumpling Thu 03-Sep-15 14:16:38

The Middle East is apparently sending money to the refugee camps on the borders. Dubai especially has been very generous - easy for them(!). Perhaps they could help defeat ISIS while they're at it. Someone is supplying them with arms. Perhaps that would be the best form of attack. Cut off their supplies.

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 14:18:36

I heard this morning that some Germans are starting to object to the huge numbers of migrants arriving in their country. Politically, it can't go on indefinitely.

Did GO really say that, dj? Long term he's right, isn't he? But short term it will only make the problem worse by creating even more refugees.

durhamjen Thu 03-Sep-15 14:20:01

Yes, he did. I was watching the news whilst typing.

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 14:20:25

Did you say 'cut off their supplies', Nfk? It might make more sense to cut off their something-else! grin Sorry, this is a serious subject.

durhamjen Thu 03-Sep-15 14:21:27

I thought the reason most want to get to Europe is to get away from North Africa.
Think about Tunisia.

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 14:27:50

Hmm, yes, but are you thinking of refugees here or of economic migrants? If it's refugees, wouldn't you think their first objective is to get to a place of safety, wherever that is? Incidentally, I'm not advocating tent cities but proper mobile housing with sanitation and schools.

durhamjen Thu 03-Sep-15 14:31:48

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34136074

13 million children have no education in Middle East because their schools have been bombed. No point in taking their children there, then.

Cameron saying that Britain always fulfils its moral obligation. BBC reporter was getting very angry with him.

durhamjen Thu 03-Sep-15 14:34:31

I never think of economic migrants. I only ever think of refugees and asylum seekers.

The people are in Europe now. They need to be housed and fed where they are, not sent back.

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 14:38:51

Just seen that, it's terrible. There's no right answer to this problem, is there? It's been said elsewhere that the EU cannot take in everybody, even if the existing population were willing. It's also been said that tackling ISIS must be done but does nothing to relieve the refugee problem immediately. If you ruled the world, dj, what would you do?

durhamjen Thu 03-Sep-15 14:59:23

First I would unblock Calais and let those refugees come here.
I wonder how much of our foreign aid the government has spent on barbed wire and fences there. I wonder how much has been lost by logistics companies and ferry companies; far more than it would cost to unblock Calais and get it working again.

That would show the rest of the world that we are serious about taking our share of the problem, considering we helped to cause it in the first place.

How many empty houses are there all over Europe that can be used to house refugees? I would get all builders back to work to make empty houses habitable for refugees; now, and quickly. There are so many boarded up houses in this country; it must be the same in other countries.

We starve IS of funds and weapons. The same with Syria and Eritrea, and any other government which stops its people from living in peace. Any country/company supplying them will be guilty of a war crime. This country sells more weapons than many other countries. It's immoral. The government is implicit in this. Stop selling weapons now, or indictment for war crimes is the next step.
I do not care how many people are involved. They can make other more useful things instead.

It will not happen, but Cameron and Osborne's way is no help whatsoever.
Can but dream and hope.

Every year there is a big meeting of the "great and good" at Davos. That's where the wealth and power is. They really could do something if they put their minds to it.

jogginggirl Thu 03-Sep-15 14:59:43

These people really need our help NOW! Whatever the long-term solution might be - and I don't have the answers - we can only help the refugees that are already living in such desperate conditions. The winter will be with us before long so being warm, dry and safe has to be the first priority - so many good people in Britain are giving money, clothes, supplies and food - I do believe we are a nation that cares deeply. There are many ways that we can help to ease the suffering - twitter and Facebook are running threads and links to help those in Calais. The only way to stop our country being shamed by DC and his cronies is to shame them into taking some action now....

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105991

I hope the above link works hmm

jogginggirl Thu 03-Sep-15 15:12:33

Well said durhamjen x

Anniebach Thu 03-Sep-15 15:18:25

Well said Jen

Anya Thu 03-Sep-15 15:57:59

I felt ashamed of our PM last night watching him on TV angry