Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who is right? Obama or Putin?

(41 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 13:00:24

I can see it might be ideal to keep Saddat in power long enough to stop all the fighting, and then, when that has been accomplished, negotiate for a regime change. But can bombing all the rebels indiscriminately ever be the right thing to do?

Wouldn't it be better if Putin used his apparent friendship with Assad to persuade him to call for a ceasefire on all sides to allow talks take place? (Why does that sound like la-la land?)

rosesarered Sat 03-Oct-15 14:48:24

Hollow laughter emoticon needed!

rosesarered Sat 03-Oct-15 14:50:14

Iran has now joined in with Russia, they will destroy all opposition now to restore order to a Syria under Assad.It's a like it or lump it scenario now.

durhamjen Sat 03-Oct-15 14:59:31

Neither. Corbyn's right.

rosesarered Sat 03-Oct-15 15:02:55

Of course he is! on everything from banning nuclear devices to not hanging out your washing on a Sunday.grin

durhamjen Sat 03-Oct-15 15:36:15

Glad you agree, roses.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 15:43:58

Sorry for the name error. I can't get these names into my head. They just merge.....

nigglynellie Sat 03-Oct-15 16:57:03

La,la land it is jingle, particularly as Assad has Iran on board too. I'm afraid we're going to have to accept that Russia hold all the cards, will behave as they see fit, and short of fighting them, there is absolutely nothing the West can do about it. The idea that Assad would be easily overthrown like Mubarak, was a grave misjudgement. Russia stayed on the sidelines while the West got more and more bogged down and disorganised, tearing itself to bits with petty squabbling, and complete lack of coordination, until finally Russia was able to walk in, take over and call all the shots. (literally) We are where we are and hopefully we can cobble up something with Russia over Syria, but I don't feel at all hopeful. Even if we do,it's bound to be humiliating.

rosesarered Sat 03-Oct-15 17:09:11

I think you are mainly right nigglienellie.Humiliating for the US, but I suspect the government here is a tad relieved, and probably other countries as well.

nigglynellie Sat 03-Oct-15 18:01:56

I think you could be right roses! It is a sort of 'get out of Jail' card for us and other coalition partners. The game has changed , so of course a rethink is now necessary, understandably!!

Ana Sat 03-Oct-15 18:04:09

What is Corbyn's solution to the problem, just out of interest, durhamjen?

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 18:12:31

Negotiation (anyone volunteering?) then hugs and congratulations to the terrorists afterwards and invite them to Westminster for afternoon tea.

rosesarered Sat 03-Oct-15 18:14:37

grin

rosesarered Sat 03-Oct-15 18:17:48

No doubt his solution would be a committee, followed by a forum followed by a quorum to discuss the solution; no solution would be found, but all would congratulate each other for a fine discussion.Possibly a leaflet campaign would be advised.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 18:18:00

So, you think Obama will call off his help for the "good" rebels, including stopping the bombing? You think he will just cave in? Hmm.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 18:19:36

Corbyn thinks we should stay out of the conflict. Stop joining in the bombing.

Which is a bit negative.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 18:21:10

Corbyn thinks we should stay out of the conflict. Stop joining in the bombing

For once I am in agreement with him. However, I don't have any other suggestions.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 18:34:20

Russia has got its own problems - Ukraine, and their economy. Perhaps the Russian public will turn against Putin if things get hard at home. And Iran didn't like our sanctions over the nuclear thing. I thought it was supposed to be a new dawn for our relationship with Iran. Bit confused really.

rosesarered Sat 03-Oct-15 19:32:46

The Russian public generally adore Putin.They don't see Ukraine as a problem having already annexed the Crimea.
Iran are happy to be developing nuclear power!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 19:35:34

Yes. But will they feel differently when the shelves start to become bare?

Iam64 Sat 03-Oct-15 19:58:30

Ed Milliband led a vote against the uk joining obama's bombing of Syria. Well done I say. what's happening to innocent, ordinary people in Syria is beyond dreadful but I have always felt th uk should keep out of any military action, whilst using diplomatic channels and offering support to refugees. Putin is very scary and a combination of Russia, Iran and Assad confirms we're well out of this one. Except we aren't are we, what was the word Cameron used? Embedded was it, to explain why the raf might be flying the odd mission with the usa

nigglynellie Sat 03-Oct-15 21:14:53

The Russian public will never blame Putin, (would they dare?!!) they'll blame the West for any discomfort they're subjected to in the way of sanctions. They think that we are the aggressor, and that he is, reluctantly,(?!) defending that aggression. No coming together of minds here I'm afraid.

Eloethan Sat 03-Oct-15 23:31:18

Many commentators have said that ISIS has been funded by our, and the US's, close ally, Saudi Arabia and there have certainly been suggestions from some quarters that covert incitement and training of various anti-Assad groups has had the unfortunate consequence of creating ISIS - much as happened with Osama bin Laden/Al Qaeda.

The US, with the assistance of UK forces, has been carrying out bombing missions in Syria for some time now and the Turks continue to bomb the Kurds (who were once hailed as heroes for protecting the Yazidis from ISIS). The Russians and the Iranians believe many of the anti-Assad groups are aligned with, and have aims similar to, ISIS, e.g. in entrenching and expanding a caliphate.

The US, the UK, and Russia are only adding to the death and destruction. I think Corbyn is right - if these powerful countries stop selling weapons and providing military back-up to the factions which they are hoping will be more in line with their own political beliefs and interests, there is at least some chance of a peaceful solution being reached. If Assad is at some point removed, who or what will fill the vacuum that is created? The removal of powerful leaders has been an absolute disaster for Iraq and Libya.

durhamjen Sun 04-Oct-15 00:21:25

stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news/stop-the-war-statement-syria-labour-party-policy-and-russian-intervention

durhamjen Sun 04-Oct-15 00:26:21

"Jeremy’s position is unambiguous, repeated in his leader’s speech this week: he is not abandoning his lifelong commitment to opposing war and nuclear weapons. So some on the right of the party will join the Tories in voting for bombing in order to ensure the motion is carried.

The call by some, including left-winger John McDonnell, for Labour MPs to have a free vote on this matter, will only encourage more of them to vote with the Tories. For right wing Labour MPs to defy both conference policy and a party whip is harder than for them to vote according to their ‘conscience’.

War is not an issue of conscience, but a political question. There are a number of people who oppose wars in principle. But there is no principle involved in supporting wars regardless of circumstances or outcomes. To pretend that it is so is to impute much more lofty motives to a whole number of the MPs who routinely vote for war.

Instead they should respect the mandate that Jeremy has won, not least because of his longstanding opposition to the Iraq war and his promise to apologise for it.

Perhaps MPs of all parties should also reflect that one of the main reasons for disillusionment with mainstream politics has been the denial of democracy that was the vote to take us into Iraq. "

I agree with Jeremy.