Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will Cameron resign if he looses EU vote?

(69 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 11-Oct-15 13:13:48

With an interesting article in the Sunday Telegraph which lays out the four-point plan they say that David Cameron and his closest Cabinet allies have drawn up, thoughts of what will happen after the referendum are being discussed by the chattering classes.

They four points are:

Forcing Brussels to make “an explicit statement” that Britain will be kept out of any move towards a European superstate. This will require an exemption for the UK from the EU’s founding principle of “ever closer union”.

An “explicit statement” that the euro is not the official currency of the EU, making clear that Europe is a “multi-currency” union. Ministers want this declaration in order to protect the status of the pound sterling as a legitimate currency that will always exist.

A new “red card” system to bring power back from Brussels to Britain. This would give groups of national parliaments the power to stop unwanted directives being handed down and to scrap existing EU laws.

A new structure for the EU itself. The block of 28 nations must be reorganised to prevent the nine countries that are not in the eurozone being dominated by the 19 member states that are, with particular protections for the City of London.

Neither side has waited to set up their lines of offence/defence and there seems to be a lot of far right Tories who do not like what they see.

According to journalists at the party conference "there was no missing the Eurosceptic mood among the grassroots."

What would happen if he lost? According to the Economist this week he would have to resign - as Alex Salmond did. If he resigned we could see the party move much more to the right under a more Eurosceptic leader such as Sajid Javiid or Michael Gove.

I imagine this would be the dream of some on here and the nightmare of others. Interesting times.

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 13:22:55

Or we could wait and see what happens first?

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 13:23:30

Probably two years before a referendum.

nigglynellie Sun 11-Oct-15 13:35:08

Who knows!! I think we need to get a little nearer the referendum before we start speculating what DC will do in the event of a No vote.

Luckygirl Sun 11-Oct-15 13:48:36

Michael Gove as a potential leader?! - I don't think so. I might emigrate!!

nigglynellie Sun 11-Oct-15 14:15:20

I think he's brilliant.

Luckygirl Sun 11-Oct-15 14:16:19

He took a wrecking ball to the education system.

Gracesgran Sun 11-Oct-15 14:24:37

Or we could wait and see what happens first?

Not one of your traditional responses roses. This is one of the biggest things to affect the UK - it could split it if we come out and, while you will discuss a man who is not in government or PM missing a meeting that others have missed before, you don't want to discuss whether what appears to be on offer for those voting "stay" or "leave" when it is the biggest challenge to this government.

The In and Out campaigns are pretty much prepared and Conservatives for Britain claim to include 115 MPs, over a third of those in parliament. Beating up the poor and the disabled is comparatively easy - bullies can do that but standing up to someone of your own size or bigger as are the other leaders of the countries in the EU - is Cameron up to that. I think this is a question we need to ask now.

The Economist (never perceived as left-wing) also says:

Open Europe, a Eurosceptic think-tank, concludes that 69 Conservative MPs are clearly for Out and 58 for In leaving 203 swing voters.

With so many of the remaining Conservative party members supporting out, who is to say that they will not knife Cameron in the back should he not come up with the goods. After all that is the traditional way of relieving themselves of a leader. If this happened I cannot see Osborne or Boris taking his place. So what then ...? Do you want Sajid Javiid or Michael Gove as PM or have you another suggestion?

Does anyone think the Cambourne led conservatives could win with the four lines in the sand that are suggested in the Telegraph.

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 14:51:40

'Not one of my traditional responses' GG? confused
Up to me what I discuss I think ( or was the last time I looked.)grin
You may feel free to 'ask the question' all you like, but IMO it's a bit early
To discuss who will take over should Cameron step down at any point over the EU referendum. You seem rather thin skinned over the fact that I and others comment on Corbyn, but he is the Leader of the Oppostion and fair game for any comment on what he is doing now.

Gracesgran Sun 11-Oct-15 15:36:29

Another interesting Telegraph article that comments on Cameron's position after the EU referendum. It is titled "EU referendum will end David Cameron's charade"

Simon Heffer comments Mr Cameron’s speech, a chain of sound bites that intoxicated the naive who heard it, struck me as repulsively manipulative.

Who am I to disagree with this? After tearing apart - in a thoughtful way, backed by facts - the speech itself he comes to the denouement:

One day, Mr Cameron will have to tell the Conservative Party and, indeed, the country, that Frau Merkel won’t let Britain opt out of the free movement of people within the EU. Perhaps that will be when Mr Cameron proves he really does “have no romantic attachment to the European Union and its institutions”, and announces that, in the light of his failure to have Britain opt out of immigration controls, he is recommending leaving. But we should believe all that when we hear it.

This is why I believe Cameron will be out and the far right will be after the leadership - just my opinion, of course.

whitewave Sun 11-Oct-15 16:17:00

Yes -he's going anyway. It will be interesting though to see if the situation can be manipulated by the potential would be Tory leaders.

Gracesgran Sun 11-Oct-15 16:42:16

I hadn't even though about a move from the right if we come out though whitewave until I read these articles. They are written by right of centre or right wing journalists. Of course, they could be kite flying but I still find it a worrying thought.

whitewave Sun 11-Oct-15 16:50:01

There are a lot of ponderables though gg . The world economy with China and emerging markets may well go pear shaped, which would make GOs bid dodgy for a start. BO doesn't seem to know who to back in/out. TM seems to have shot herself in the foot, and the refugee crises is not going away very soon. That leaves it wide open for a dark horse.

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 16:51:58

Will Cameron resign if he looses EU vote?

Sorry if I am being a bit thick here, but I don't understand the question as it is phrased.

I thought Cameron wants us to stay in the EU but he is giving the electorate a chance to have their say - do you mean will he resign if we vote to come out? or will he resign if we vote to stay in?

ps did not realise that the Tories had moved lock stock and barrel to Cornwall - do you know something we do not gracesgran? grin
Oh, sorry, that is spelt Camborne, not Cambourne!

whitewave Sun 11-Oct-15 17:00:12

He will go - bet my boots on it.

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 17:04:09

Yes, but I am still puzzled about what you mean by 'losing the vote' gracesgran

If he wants us to stay in and we vote to stay in, do you mean he has 'won the vote'?

If he wants us to stay in and we vote to leave, do you mean he has 'lost the vote'?

I am not sure which way round you think means him 'losing the vote'.
confused

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 17:05:23

I think your boots are safe - he has already said he is going anyway grin
Your feet can stay snug and warm.

whitewave Sun 11-Oct-15 17:09:14

grin

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 19:12:13

If your boots are plum coloured, may I have them if you lose the bet?grin

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 19:38:41

Probably they will be the wrong size.
What a bummer! (oh, wrong thread grin)

Gracesgran Sun 11-Oct-15 20:07:48

Michael Gove as a potential leader?! - I don't think so. I might emigrate!!

As I said, it hadn't even occurred to me Luckygirl that either of these two men, who I find quite despicable (although I do appreciate that others don't) would even be in the running but I suppose anything could happen.

We are talking about an out vote and up 'til recently that seemed unlikely but the polls (I know - who trusts them) have shown the vote to be closer and I think one showed it as a tiny majority out.

I have never really thought Boris could win (although who knows) and had really assumed Osborne would if the economy could be made to look OK but what if there is a real downturn - it has been talked about - what if there is an upsurge of the Conservative right because of an out vote - who could they choose. I think they will have destroyed Mrs May by then. Michael Portillo was talking about a speech he made when they were out for his blood. It was passed by Downing Street, as was Mrs Mays and when he made it he knew he was totally out of step with all the other conference speeches. He felt they had done the same to her.

It really doesn't bear thinking about but it is my head now ...

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 11-Oct-15 22:36:32

I think he might be regretting ever having promised a referendum.

I don't think he would go immediately if the vote went against us staying in.

Anya Sun 11-Oct-15 22:49:23

I bet he's regretting it, but I'm pretty sure he'll be off if the vote goes against him. He'll spin it as the 'honourable thing' to do.

Gracesgran Sun 11-Oct-15 22:51:30

I don't think he had a choice Jbf. The words rock and hard place come to mind. He would have had to come out for in or out before the election I think and he couldn't carry all his party with him whichever he had opted for.

durhamjen Sun 11-Oct-15 23:27:10

Who votes for his successor? I think it's just MPs until there are only two names left.