Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should GB be a world power

(209 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 26-Nov-15 08:55:18

This is a genuine attempt to start a discussion so although this is my opinion please don't simply shoot me down in flames.

A century ago GB was indeed a world power. The Empire was built through a mixture of exploration, annexation, trade and military intervention. At that time the adage that 'the sun never set on the British Empire' was true and GB was a strong, rich military and industrial power.

Jump forward to 2015. The British Empire no longer exists and British industry has to fight to survive in a competitive international market.

Many fail to see this and still live in a empirical dream world where GB is still the centre of the universe. Isn't it time to face facts? GB is a small, insignificant county. Still rich compared to many countries but not the power it used to be. With this in mind should we really see ourselves as a world police force. Cutting defence (a weird way of describing going to war) spending would free up so much money. I'm not saying all of it but do we really need nuclear weapons and other first strike capabilities. Education, the NHS, pensions, disability benefits, housing and a host of other things which benefit the British people could be improved by increased spending.

mollie Thu 26-Nov-15 09:29:27

My heart agrees with you. We had our day and I'd be happy if we (they, the government) put more effort into what happens here. But I know that others will have a valid and forceful argument for us continuing to try to be centre stage. Over to them...

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 09:41:26

We are a world power! The City of London is at the heart of finance. We have the best military, and security services, of anywhere in the world.

It's got nothing to do with any "empirical dream world"! hmm

And how would you describe standing up to, and trying to rid the world of, an evil, rapidly growing, group of people who would really really like to become a "World Power", if not with the phrase "going to war"? confused

Oh, I know. You want to sit back and hope other people do the defending for us. Really?!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 09:44:50

Did you not listen to the budget yesterday? Don't you realise GO is doing his best to balance the books, to include the lot of it?!

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 09:49:43

We are not a world power, we trot along behind America and jump when they say jump . Some are still holding dreams of the British Raj days

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 09:50:53

Rubbish.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 09:51:57

I doubt many people can remember, or know much about 'British raj days' grin

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 09:53:20

Jingle, I assure you they do, we only left India in the forties

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 09:55:04

Umm. We're in the 21st century now. Remember?

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 10:00:20

I know Jingle, you obviously don 't mix with old colonial families

petra Thu 26-Nov-15 10:03:00

Anniebach. If you were to leave Wales at some time and visit other countries and talk to locals, you would find out that we are still very much admired/ respected/ envied. Why do you think so many people want to come here.

rosesarered Thu 26-Nov-15 10:05:46

I agree with Jingl on this.Not from any drum banging days of the Raj,
But from the aspect of all the things she mentions plus the fact that this country is doing so well economically ( which is why immigrants want to come here) our links both to Europe and the US, our culture etc we have many world class things to offer.So as a country, even a small country, we have much to offer ( there's the Commonwealth as well)but our response to world events does have to be tempered with caution ( maybe this is what you mean VQ) because our armed forces are not quite what they used to be!
This doesn't mean that we can't be part of a concerted effort with other like minded countries to rid the world of the likes of ISIS.

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 10:06:17

Please do not patronise me Petra, thank you

rosesarered Thu 26-Nov-15 10:08:25

I don't mix with 'old colonial families' either, are there lots of them in Wales?
They must be extremely elderly.

Elegran Thu 26-Nov-15 10:08:30

Seventy odd years on, the old colonials must be dying out, replaced by their grandchildren, who have grown up in the real world.

Britain is still a world power - it is just that world power is not what it used to be, for anyone. Power belongs to whoever can effectively use it. If all the countries in the world worked together, they could resist those power-hungry megalomaniacs who want domination without responsibility, but it would mean certain internal sacrifices and constant watchfulness.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

shysal Thu 26-Nov-15 10:09:34

Vampire and Anniebach. My thoughts exactly, and we are quite entitled to them! smile

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 10:11:02

Thank you shysal

rosesarered Thu 26-Nov-15 10:12:43

Of course you ( and me, and anyone on here) are entitled to our views.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 10:18:00

No. I definitely don't ab. But I'm sure Wales is rife with them. grin

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 10:26:58

We have rather a lot jingle , in parts of Wales, not in the Valleys but in rural areas , country mansions, holiday homes etc.

TerriBull Thu 26-Nov-15 10:41:56

I think we are a country that punches well above it's weight, taking many different aspects into account, not only economics and politics but also in the arts. I think we are great innovators and have produced a wide spectrum of writers, artists, musicians, singers, fashion designers etc. etc. Just as Andrew Neil produced a list of what France has given the world, I think that could certainly match them. On a lighter note I never understand why we bother entering the charade that is the European Song Contest, we have nothing to prove on that score having given the world the Beatles, Rolling Stones and a list that could go on adinfinitum. Although I appreciate that is not the thrust of the argument here.

I agree with your comment AB, we have been guilty of being America's lapdog and I don't think we have a "special" relationship, whilst we are an important ally to them, I think it's all a bit one way, their way!

However, having said that I also agree with Jing's statement about the City of London, it is one of the world's most desirable capitals, hence it gravitational pull in drawing in the world's rich, which I know in some respects doesn't always serve those working there in trying to find somewhere affordable to live.

I take some of your points though VQ, the British Empire no longer exists, but that applies to any other previous imperial powers, France, Spain. Many European countries were guilty of expanding their power bases and taking advantage of the countries they sucked into their empire, maybe China could learn from some of our mistakes. I also agree that industry has to fight to survive in a global world. I don't think we are centre of the universe at all, do any of us, but I think we are a major contributor on a world stage, although that of course may not stay the case.

To be quite honest, whilst I think it's possible it's not "our time" anymore, and India and China are two of the new world super powers, they have a long way to go to become egalitarian societies, and whilst we are not a utopia and have disparities between the rich and poor, Britain is still a better place to live than some other countries that are perceived to be on the up and up.

Alea Thu 26-Nov-15 10:43:49

If you mean World Power in the military sense, we are not in the same league as the so-called Superpowers. It would be good however if we could still bring military expertise(of which we have plenty) experience (ditto) and good sense to whatever forum makes the decisions. I think the calibre of our armed forces is second to none and our ability to apply our democratic principles should not be underestimated.
Our financial sector (Stock Exchange, banking etc) puts us among the world leaders, our cultural significance ( theatre, music, architecture, ballet, the Arts in all forms) is I think unequalled and our Human Rights knock many countries with greater military strength into the proverbial cocked hat. OK our NHS and Education are taking a hammering, but were still mould breaking, our universities are world class and our Scientific and Medical research also among world leaders.
So I think we have to redefine what we want to be. The UK is not an "insignificant country". The days of empire have been gone for over 50 years but there is a future of cooperation and leadership in so many fields of human endeavour ahead.

Ana Thu 26-Nov-15 10:50:17

Well said, Alea.

Luckygirl Thu 26-Nov-15 11:37:04

I do not think we are insignificant, but neither do I think we are, or should wish to be , a "world power" - whatever that is.

My aim for this country is that it should be as prosperous as possible, deal with threats with wisdom and restraint, and share our cultural assets with anyone who wishes this.

There is no doubt that we do tag along on the coattails of the US - and I do not find this acceptable. I think that our mores are in fact more sound than theirs - gun laws, no capital punishment etc.

I do not think it is necessary to patronise Annie when her views do not tally with someone else's. This is an interesting debate and I thank vq for starting it; but inevitably there will be differing views on all sides - and those are interesting to hear, and should be heard with respect - which is one of our British values that we should treasure.

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 11:42:24

Thank you Luckygirl and I agree with your post

We in Wales are use to little englanders attempting to patronise us , thankfully the majority of English do not, it would be sooooo boring if it were so.