Gransnet forums

News & politics

ZIKA virus

(52 Posts)
JessM Thu 28-Jan-16 22:31:10

Many members of GN have children and grandchildren in countries outside Europe and I wonder what they are thinking about this worrying news from S America.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35427493

Lapwing Thu 28-Jan-16 22:46:51

I have relatives in one of the South American countries effected by the virus, very worrying. Watched the news this evening and it was heart breaking to see the little baby born with the small head and the list of his possible disabilities was awful.

So far there does not seem to be much of an international effort to try to resolve the issue. Possibly because it is currently a third world problem.

Jane10 Fri 29-Jan-16 07:41:03

Looks like they are trying hard to find out more about it. Potential vaccines seem to be being developed but there is so much more to learn about it. I expect bofffins will find a way to reduce transmission but the legacy of thousands of severely disabled adults with colossal care needs must be extremely worrying on a personal, family and national level. Sad sad sad

JessM Fri 29-Jan-16 09:41:14

At the moment the only option seems to be eradicating the mosquitoes that carry them. It has been done before, with the aid of huge quantities of pesticides, but requires a massive effort with everyone in the country on board. If it was easy there would not still be millions dying of malaria every year across the world.
They are talking about vaccine trials within a year, but they don't have years of research to draw on here - they've just become aware of the problem and only just started trying to develop a vaccine. Completing the trials phase could take a long time.
I thing the N Americans are worried because it could spread to them. The mosquito that spreads it also spreads Yellow Fever and that caused many epidemics in the USA in the past. So much of the USA is potentially vulnerable , but Canada not, as too cold for the mosquitoes.

Jane10 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:55:16

What a horrible worry for young women. It was heart breaking seeing the new mums with their microcephalic babies on the news last night. Obviously much loved but a lifetime of worry ahead.

TriciaF Fri 29-Jan-16 13:23:58

It is a frightening disease, and I feel so sorry for the families of those affected.
I wonder if it's one of the consequences of so-called global warming? ie the mosquitoes that would usually be wiped out by winter weather are now multiplying instead

5boysnan55555 Sat 30-Jan-16 09:58:18

Me and dh were going to Rio tomorrow for. Two days then on a cruise around South America his majesty cancelled it yesterday as he does get very bad reactions to bites. I called him a wuss and other things said cover up I would get him a balaclava and spray him, but no he wouldn't budge. I am disappointed and suitcase to unpack but relieved at the same time. I really feel for those mothers fathers and poor little babies that's real life so sad and now all their surroundings will be sprayed which kills Mosquitos not good for the people children animals etc.

Humbertbear Sat 30-Jan-16 10:00:48

I was reading this morning that the countries where it is prevalent have laws banning abortions and contraception is relatively expensive. Of course, they will also have poor support infrastructure for disabled children.
They are now advising that men who have been to the countries where Zika is currently to be found should use condoms for 28 days after their return. If they have had any symptoms then they should use them for 6 months after their return.
With the forthcoming Olympics in Rio this could be the beginning of a world wide epidemic just as the 1976 celebrations of American Independence were central in spreading AIDS.

Persistentdonor Sat 30-Jan-16 10:30:58

I believe science has had the answer to malaria for decades, but it is all about cost. I can imagine once the impact of zika starts moving up towards the USA, suddenly cost will be less of an issue.
Desperately sad for all those already involved. sad

witchygran Sat 30-Jan-16 10:41:39

Surely the Pope could grant dispensation of some sort, where contraception is concerned, until a vaccine is found against this terrible disease? I can't for the life of me see how anyone could deliberately allow these poor little children to be affected and not prevent if they could.

Anya Sat 30-Jan-16 10:43:09

Different mosquito to the one that spreads malaria (the Anopheles and the female only). Can't remember the name of this one but it also spreads dengue fever. Nobody's bothered much with trying to neutralise this mosquito before - after all it's just a third world problem, isn't it hmm

I suspect you are correct persistent and, as this epidemic spreads north, funding will suddenly materialise.

It's about time the WHO tapped the 'developed world' for funds to find vaccines, etc for all these tropical diseases before we have another Ebola ir Zika crises. Adopt the scouting motto perhaps and 'Be Prepared' rather than play catch up.

JessM Sat 30-Jan-16 11:11:17

I've been wondering about the Pope too, but not very hopefully. After all, the current Pope and his predecessors have steadfastly refused to condone the use of condoms in AIDS-riven communities of Africa, where so many adults have died of AIDS related illness.
www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/30/pope-francis-condoms-aids-hiv-africa
Pope Francis may seem "liberal" on some issues but not on this one.(I think there is an exemption, made by Benedict, only for those who know they are already infected with HIV to use condoms).

And witchygran I can't understand it either.

5boynan55555 men eh?! There were always going to be mosquitoes in Rio I guess and chances of your DH getting pregnant... hmm

etheltbags1 Sat 30-Jan-16 11:15:40

with global warming could the mosquitoes come to Europe, the thought is scary.

Tingleydancer Sat 30-Jan-16 11:17:52

I read a discussion recently as to whether or not mosquitos should be eradicated. Ecologists say this should not happen because other species depend on them for food and that mosquitos are good pollinators. Also there is concern that if that were to happen, some other more aggressive strain would evolve. Obviously though there is the question of the life-threatening diseases they spread. There have been some scientific experiments to genetically modify male mosquitos so that they don't reproduce such harmful offspring. Perhaps that's the way forward? Personally I hate them as I react badly to the bites and am forced to cover myself in repellant almost everywhere I go on holiday which isn't without problems - who wants to cover themselves in chemicals all the time? ?

Bambisuperstar3 Sat 30-Jan-16 11:21:46

The Aedes mosquito is a weak flyer; it cannot fly more than 400 meters. But it may inadvertently be transported by humans from one place to another (e.g. in the back of the car, plants). If it can survive the temperature climate of the destination, it may theoretically be capable of reproducing itself there and introduce Zika virus to new areas.

However, before panic sets in, it is wise to remember that even if the odd MOzzie escapes in this way, it is the mosquito that has to become infected by biting an infected person, not the other way round. The Mozzie then becomes infected.

Although this does not detract from the dreadful outbreak in certain areas of the world, and our hearts go out to them, it is easy to put fear into people unnecessarily .
Let's hope funds are found to eradicate these small but deadly insects...I For one will gladly contribute to any appeal.

Bijou Sat 30-Jan-16 12:03:46

I believe the Zika virus is only dangerous to pregnant women otherwise it is not a fatal disease. Dengue fever is prevalent in Barbados where my niece lives and a friend of hers has recently died after contracting that disease.

Jalima Sat 30-Jan-16 12:05:48

This mosquito is widespread in the tropics and, yes, it is one that spreads dengue fever. Outbreaks of zika virus have been reported before but not on such an unprecedented scale as far as I know. I think the symptoms are mild in a healthy person (unlike dengue fever) but, of course, the results for the unborn child can be disastrous.

I don't think it would be possible to eradicate the mosquito so health education, vigilance re stagnant water where they breed and the development of a vaccine would have to be the way forward. A U turn by the RC church on the use of condoms would be a tremendous step forward - and not just to help prevent zika virus affecting unborn babies.

Tingley I react badly to mosquito bites too but try to use a natural repellent unless I am going into a tropical forest in which case I do use a deet-based one.

Jalima Sat 30-Jan-16 12:12:03

Tingley and 5boysnan a low dose of an anti-histamine also works well if you are going to the tropics, best to start taking it a few days before and continue all the time you are there. It stops the bites swelling and itching if you do get any, and I use an antibiotic cream on them sometimes too to stop it developing an infection.

I hope your holiday can be uncancelled - or can you get someone else to go with you?!

Jumbly01 Sat 30-Jan-16 12:53:56

I'm not so sure that Canada doesn't get Mosquitos as I was badly bitten 20 years ago in the Winnipeg area and still bear unsightly scars. The locals said that it was like a cartoon seeing the swarm of Mosquitos following me everywhere.

MadGrandma Sat 30-Jan-16 13:28:43

I have been reading recently that Dengue fever has become an issue on the Big Island of Hawaii. They have been trying to eradicate it with pesticides, but news came this week that there is one suspected case with a child born with Zita virus issues during the last month. As Hawaii is such a popular vacation place with many Americans, there is the possibility of more babies being born with this condition in mainland USA.

Maybe now the drug companies will pull their fingers out and use some of their millions to find a decent vaccine or cure?

Tingleydancer Sat 30-Jan-16 14:26:27

I am in the tropics at the moment so have to spray myself down with repellant twice a day. I also go to the South of France in the summer where I get dreadful bites. Thanks Jalima, for advice! I found Cinq sur Cinq Tropicale which is claimed to be natural is good but is the only natural one that has protected me (can be bought online). Other than that it's Deet which I hate. I will definitely try anti-histamine tablets! I would like to see mozzies eradicated as it appears the illnesses they cause outweigh their usefulness to the environment.

5boysnan55555 Sat 30-Jan-16 15:26:42

Thanks Jalima I have two tickets to Rio and then onto the q m. It's a flight to Paris from Heathrow then onto Rio all overnight in economy ... Return flt 22 hrs flying to Amsterdam back to Heathrow. Worn out thinking about it. Some old chaps like cars the ladies mine it's holidays. I don't think insurance will refund. The mosquito is everywhere he should have thought it out, it is the zeka that has put him off, being a bit of a wuss with health things. I didn't know about taking antihistamines a few days before thank you I will tell him.

Jalima Sat 30-Jan-16 15:33:29

I have been bitten (head, ankles, legs everywhere!) in Finland as I failed to put on repellent the first day we went there. However, they don't carry nasty diseases there.

The anti-histamine stops the swelling and itching but it's wise to use repellent as well because the mozzie could carry a disease.
I will try Cinq sur Cinq, thankyou for the tip. I have used one called 'The Locals' but not available in the UK . That is good as well.

However, in a tropical forest I think only deet based stuff stops me getting bitten, I don't like it either. Eating garlic, garlic tablets, yeast tablets marmite etc etc doesn't work for me!

JessM Sat 30-Jan-16 15:37:29

I'd go on my own if I were you 5boysnana and have a lot of fun. Not usually possible to transfer airline tickets to another name I think. I don't think insurance will refund either as no travel advice saying grumpy old men should not go there smile Go for it and have great time!

JessM Sat 30-Jan-16 15:37:56

Re Canada and mozzies - i think they are the wrong kind up there.