Gransnet forums

News & politics

Electoral Fraud investigation

(205 Posts)
JessM Sun 08-May-16 19:44:15

Not sure that this has had much coverage but it's a potentially explosive issue in Westminster. It's alleged that, during the 2015 campaign, the Tory party failed to account properly for expenditure. There are strict spending limits per candidate and they are supposed to declare everything. The allegation is that Tory central office bussed in squads of activists to work on behalf of local candidates and that the expenditure on hotel bills etc was not shown on the constituency accounts.
Grant Shapps was in charge of the bus full of activists - joint party chairman at the time. He has recently said that accounting for the expenditure was not his responsibility - thus passing the blame on to the current party chairman.
See this article for the constituencies which might be involved.
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eight-police-forces-launch-investigations-into-tory-general-election-2015-fraud-accusations-a7017976.html

Welshwife Sun 08-May-16 19:48:04

I saw on the news last evening that several Police Forces were engaged in looking into these allegations/ accounts etc as several area were involved.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 19:51:51

Not exactly crime of the century though, is it?

Yawn.

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 19:55:10

But could the election be declared void as a result? That not very yawnie.

Ana Sun 08-May-16 19:55:36

I'm sure it'll run to a few pages, though...

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 20:10:35

No way! grin. (To ww)

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 20:13:13

grin

Anniebach Sun 08-May-16 20:22:03

There will be no charges , we are talking police and government

durhamjen Sun 08-May-16 20:30:31

www.channel4.com/news/conservative-election-expenses-police-annouce-investigation

If any of them go to prison because of it, there could have to be another election because there will have to be by-elections and the government could lose its majority.
Really looking forward to that. At the last count there were 8 police forces and 29 MPs involved.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 20:33:28

Ok. Anyone else out of here now? grin

durhamjen Sun 08-May-16 20:33:30

Do you think £200,000 fraud is something to yawn about, jingl?

durhamjen Sun 08-May-16 20:37:16

www.electionexpenses.co.uk/

Do you think democracy matters, jingl?
Do you think that electoral fraud is anti-democratic?
I can't believe you do not care about that.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 20:39:45

she's gone.

petra Sun 08-May-16 20:44:09

Old news. Michael Crick has been working on this for months. Don't get excited, nothing is going to come of it.

durhamjen Sun 08-May-16 20:49:22

No it isn't old news, petra.
It has just gone to the police and the CPS, last week. They have asked for extensions of time, to investigate further.

The 29 constituencies visited by the Conservative's Battlebus 2015 tour during the last ten days of the General Election campaign were:

SOUTH WEST (Nine seats visited April 27 - May 5)
Yeovil; Cheltenham; Torbay; Thornbury and Yate; Wells; Stround; Plymouth, Sutton & Devenport; Cambourne & Redruth; North Cornwall

MIDLANDS (Ten seats visited April 27 - May 6)
Cannock Chase; Northampton North; Sherwood; Broxtowe; Nuneaton; Amber Valley; Wolverhampton South West; Lincoln; Erewash; Dudley South.

NORTH WEST (Ten seats visited May 2 to May 6)
Halifax; Carlisle; Rossendale & Darwen; Morecambe & Lunesdale; Cheadle; City of Chester; Pudsey, Horsforth & Aireborough; Bury North; Weaver Vale; Hazel Grove.

These are the constituencies being looked into. Do you live in one of them?

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 21:12:45

I don't - reasonably safe Tory seats here except the o ne I'm in oh and of course the Greens

Jalima Sun 08-May-16 21:34:12

So, of the MPs returned in those constituencies, which were Tory, Labour, marginal?
If there was no likelihood of a different outcome would it be worth the expense of bi-elections?

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 21:36:11

What price rule of law?

Jalima Sun 08-May-16 21:38:40

But if there was a massive majority and a different outcome would be unlikely, is it worth the price?

Anya Sun 08-May-16 21:40:30

Everyone knows the rule re expenses and everything has to be submitted and accounted for. I know as I once stood for election for District Council and it was made very clear.

Was someone hoping that certain expenses, such as the Battle Buses and the overnight costs would somehow be lost between different budgets.

Deliberate? Quite possibly.

Does it need to be thoroughly investigated? Of course.

Jalima Sun 08-May-16 21:47:07

Yes, of course it needs to be thoroughly investigated and those responsible held to account, but how can anyone prove that it would definitely have led to a different outcome in the election?

crashing, crashing 1 2 3
(GN, not the battle bus)

Anya Sun 08-May-16 21:50:00

How indeed?

rosesarered Sun 08-May-16 21:50:13

It's likely to be incompetence ( whoever was supposed to be doing the accounting for it.) No doubt the investigation will find out.

durhamjen Sun 08-May-16 21:54:44

Interesting, Jalima. Did you say the same about the MP expenses fraud, duck houses, etc.?

They were all marginals, which is why they were targeted.
Three of them stayed labour, the rest are conservative seats.
Enough fraud to have a Tory government elected.
Are you bothered by that?

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 21:58:04

Load of Cornish seats all traditionally Lib. Have been for donkeys years.