Gransnet forums

News & politics

Possible contentious poster launched by the Remain Campaign to galvanise the black vote

(62 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 27-May-16 10:34:35

I don't know how many of you have seen the poster in which an elderly and very serene Indian lady wearing a sari is sitting on one end of a seesaw facing a scary looking, snarling skinhead posed in an aggressive finger jabbing stance. Could the implication be that Brexiteers are white racists sad. There is a supposition from some on the remain side that anyone wishing to leave must be white, which is contrary to some of the televised debates I have seen where black and Asian voters have voiced their voting intentions and they do not always lie with the remain campaign. I watched the opening of QT last night and the black lady on the panel made it clear that she was a Brexiteer. The implied message on the poster seems to be therefore that black people should vote to remain, if not, they could be aligning themselves with a bunch of nasty white racists. Personally I haven't seen anyone dressed in that skinhead style circa 1970s and 1980s for a long while. However, maybe I'm looking it from the wrong point of view possibly the message is more ambiguous, given that the nasty racist skinhead is far more prolific in Eastern Europe, could the poster be trying to imply "vote in" and we will be bedfellows with a rising tide of right wing nationalism which is the subject of another thread on GN. Anyone have an opinion on this poster?

sunseeker Fri 27-May-16 10:49:29

When I see anything like this I always think about what the reaction would be if the situation were reversed - an aggressive looking black man snarling and pointing at a little old white lady. There would, quite rightly in my opinion, be an outcry that this was racist and profiling all black people as aggressive and dangerous, so why is it OK to portray white people this way.

TerriBull Fri 27-May-16 11:29:47

There is an equally lamentable poster aimed at the young voter which I believe has been panned on Twitter it goes something along these lines "meetin', chillin', relaxin' VOTIN'". Getting down with the kids presumably every verb with the obligatory missin' "g" to make it more relevant? sad how patronising, all set to pulsating music, who is this aimed at Club 18-30? if so maybe they should have included, drinkin', shaggin' vomitin', because that's how crass it comes across. Similarly black and Asian people are not a homogeneous mass that need to be talked down to, they are like the rest of the population they will either be engaged with the process or they won't be. It beggars belief that theses campaigns could have been approved, they are such bilge and no doubt cost a fortune to produce.

Firecracker123 Fri 27-May-16 11:47:15

The Remain camp must be desperate, all the propaganda about the economy, pensions now this racist poster, if it was a black man or muslim there would be uproar and they would be prosecuted.

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 12:03:48

This poster wasn't produced by Remain campaigners, but an organisation called 'Operation Black Vote'. There is no recommendation on the poster to vote either way.

There have actually been some posters produced by UKIP in the past, which could be considered xenophobic, so it works both ways.

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 12:12:44

Why did people assume that the skinhead represented a BREXITer?

Here's the link to Operation Black Vote...

www.obv.org.uk/news-blogs/eu-referendum-facts

It's reasonably neutral about the whole business and has produced a leaflet of facts for anybody who's interested.

sunseeker Fri 27-May-16 12:19:39

Surely daphnedill the argument is not whether the skinhead is for exiting the EU but the way in which a white person is being portrayed. As I said, if the picture was of a black person appearing to be aggressive towards an elderly white woman many people would be screaming about "racial profiling" and demanding the poster be withdrawn.

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 14:54:33

That's a different argument. The op accused the Remain campaign of portraying BREXITers like this (as did some of the media).

Have you actually seen any of the UKIP posters portraying Eastern Europeans or Asians as enemies?

Surely the whole point is that even anti-social thugs have a vote.

TerriBull Fri 27-May-16 15:52:19

Of course every vote is equal that goes without saying, but why suggest that Black or Asian voters are any less savvy than the rest of the population in that they need to be made aware of the importance of this vote. As previously stated they are not some homogeneous mass, within that demographic will be those who will vote in, vote out or simply couldn't care less, in other words just like everyone else. I think the poster is stupid and insulting in what it's trying to portray, the one aimed at young voters is beyond puerile. Anti social thugs could be represented in both sides of the argument. I can't remember the last time I saw a homegrown skinhead they are a somewhat outdated concept. A far righter is just as likely to be wearing a smart suit or a football shirt, but I'm not aware there is a uniform for people who espouse an extreme right wing point of view here. However, I believe that attire is prevalent among the growing numbers of right wing fascists in Eastern Europe so possibly there is ambiguity in the message, in which case it's still an ill conceived stereo type.

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 18:41:35

Ask Saatchi and Saatchi why they chose those images. I'm not black and I am registered to vote, but presumably their researchers have done attitudinal surveys.

Presumably it's OK for Johnson to refer to Obama's Kenyan heritage or for the disgusting London Mayor election, but not to hold up a mirror to barely disguised racism.

The reason Operation Black Vote (not the Remain campaign) paid for the poster is that BME voters are less likely to registered than other voters. There is NO indication in the poster whether OBV supports Remain or Leave.

If you haven't had personal experience of racist yobs, here are a few to be getting on with:

www.vice.com/en_uk/read/my-first-britain-first-protest-283

rosesarered Fri 27-May-16 18:53:16

I HAVE had personal experience of racist yobs ( don't want any more) and they were Asian youths in Bradford who spat in my face and called me a 'white c***t' as I happened to walk past.This is only a few years ago, I am old enough to be their gran and I was shocked.

rosesarered Fri 27-May-16 18:55:22

This poster that terribull talks about is a load of rubbish, I do wonder what is coming next, we have had so many dire warnings, will our hair fall out if we leave the EU?

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 19:01:42

@rosesarered This isn't a Remain poster! There is nothing on the poster nor, as far as I can see, on OBV's website to encourage people to vote one way or the other.

It's a poster designed to get black and minority voters to register to vote. At the moment, there is evidence that many of them aren't registered. Who knows which way they'll vote?

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 19:05:46

@rosesarered By coincidence, I was called a 'dirty f***ing c**t@ and physically assaulted just two weeks ago...by my white England flag flying neighbour! He regularly swears at delivery drivers and told one to 'f**k off back to where he came from'.

The police are involved, so I won't say any more, but anecdotes aren't really evidence.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-May-16 19:15:08

this is the poster

I can't understand just what it is supposed to be saying. confused

daphnedill Fri 27-May-16 19:38:48

It's obviously saying different things to different people.

rosesarered Fri 27-May-16 19:49:03

dd anecdotes may not be 'evidence' ( who said they were?) but they are real and happened as you know to your cost as do I.
It may not be a remain poster, but sure sounds like it, otherwise, what the hell is it saying, and for what exactly? If it was only to get black people to vote ( how patronising) btw they would not have made it of a skinhead threatening an old Asian lady, so of course it was meant to represent a remain poster ( no matter what they say!)
has anyone here actually seen a skinhead for years.... Apart from in other countries in Europe.

Anya Fri 27-May-16 19:51:55

There is a message there and I see what the OP was getting at.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-May-16 20:10:18

It's supposed to be telling 'ethnic' groups that their vote is as important as anyone else's. I can see that. I guess it means, 'don't be put off by the usual bad behaviour you get from yobbish types in your everyday life'. Very sad really. And the message doesn't exactly jump out at you.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-May-16 20:11:16

It's certainly nothing to do with 'in' or 'out'. Just, vote.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-May-16 20:12:27

The OP has got it completely wrong. grin (sorry)

whitewave Fri 27-May-16 20:16:53

Yep I agree with you jing There is always a problem getting the black vote out, this is an attempt at mitigating that.

rosesarered Fri 27-May-16 20:20:39

In your view Jingl the OP has it wrong, but in my book the OP has it right.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-May-16 20:20:43

I think people like that old lady probably get their confidence knocked a lot by racists in some parts of the country. They probably think it's best to keep themselves to themselves.

rosesarered Fri 27-May-16 20:20:59

grin sorry!