Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can we now have the Blue British Passport back

(22 Posts)
CelticRose Fri 24-Jun-16 07:47:36

Sorry. Don't mean to be flippant. Just checking in to see how GNrs are. Me, for one, am delighted to be back in a democratic country. The EU governance was expensive, outdated and not working. I shall be watching the City trading very carefully over the next few days. This will give an indication of world confidence in the UK. Best wishes to a re-united kingdom.

morethan2 Fri 24-Jun-16 07:50:48

And fingers crossed for our pensions

Cherrytree59 Fri 24-Jun-16 07:55:13

I hadn't considered what it would mean re our passports.
Maybe someone right at this moment is producing a briitish/uk cover that we will use until old one runs out.

CelticRose Fri 24-Jun-16 08:00:33

I believe that state pensions were under review whatever the outcome. (I never earned enough to have a private pension - nor worked for the Civil Service or a Company that invested in pension scheme. Maxwell had a lot to answer for, too.) There are no emerging markets for the bankers to invest in. I have noticed for the last few years that the Chancellor has been looking at other ways for income. For one. Ex-pats who still have properties here will be taxed on second homes. For another. We are to fall in line with Australia and Canada - state pensions will not be inflation linked in many instances. This was always going to happen. As I mentioned. I don't have a private pension.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 08:02:10

Colour of passport was not of concern for me , poverty, unemployment ,workers rights was

ninathenana Fri 24-Jun-16 08:07:01

Interesting question but certainly not the first one that comes to my mind.
Far more important issues.

CelticRose Fri 24-Jun-16 08:27:05

Annie Which country with poverty, unemployment, etc, were you thinking of? Poland, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Romania, France, Greece, Italy, etc, etc?

absent Fri 24-Jun-16 08:36:37

CelticRose State pensions, for which we, as working people all our lives contributed, are already not index-linked in many countries, including where I live. It is hugely unfair. To do that to those who live in EU countries, where up till now they did receive index-linked pensions, would also be hugely unfair.

P.s. I pay tax in the UK, although I don't live there and my pension is frozen at 2013 value for the rest of my life.

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 08:39:04

Would it make you feel better if everybody else's pension is frozen? That seems a tad mean-spirited and won't actually mean you get any more.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 08:41:33

Celtic Rose, this country

granjura Fri 24-Jun-16 10:38:58

Yes, of course... and you can Rule the Waves again and conquer the world again- of course you can.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 24-Jun-16 11:18:44

CelticRose Scotland voted to remain. How united is that?

Sooner or later a lot of people will realise many things they don't like are down to political decisions by our governments and nothing to do with the EU.

ginny Fri 24-Jun-16 11:53:46

We may get blue passports back and then we can look at them to keep ourselves amused at the airport whilst we are waiting in the Non EU line.

granjura Fri 24-Jun-16 12:10:35

Nicola Sturgeon has just made an announcement that Scotland will go for a new referendum asap. Wonder if NI will ask to join.

ninathenana Fri 24-Jun-16 13:33:39

ginny grin

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:37:02

ginny

and they will get stamped again, just like they used to and we can amuse ourselves by remembering where we went !

Judthepud2 Fri 24-Jun-16 21:01:04

Re-United Kingdom! [hollow laugh emoji] Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to remain!

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jun-16 21:12:01

Well, my much stamped EU passport runs out next year and I really, really hope my new one is a proper UK blue one which will get stamped when I go to France or Holland or Germany etc as my ability to cope with long haul adventures and the funds to pay for them, are running out. I like collecting passport stamps.

ginny Fri 24-Jun-16 23:03:00

Mine runs out next year too. Let's hope the new one, whichever colour it is still welcome in the rest of the EU after yesterday.

NfkDumpling Sat 25-Jun-16 06:21:44

I'm sure it will be. There was a lot of resentment about our concessions, so we may be much better off just being friends and not family.

Cold Sat 25-Jun-16 14:44:05

Everyone will need to buy new passports and get new driving licences as well once no longer entitled to an EU one

ninathenana Sat 25-Jun-16 15:04:07

Todays press says that when your current passport expires you will have a blue one.

Can't say I'm fussed really.