Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit watch

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 18:54:04

I think it will be interesting to track what the result of the vote brings us. Good or bad.

Friday 24 th June

Result out.

France wants to renegotiate the Le Touquet agreement

£ has the biggest drop since 1985

Mark Carney moved to try to steady the markets

Scottish first minister suggested that they are highly likely to go for a second referendum

sunseeker Fri 24-Jun-16 19:00:01

Stock market and pound rallied within hours. Expect stock market and pound to be a bit wobbly for a while before settling down again.

NonnaW Fri 24-Jun-16 19:03:10

Weren't Scotland always likely to go for a second referendum (pardon me for using the "r" word).

Luckygirl Fri 24-Jun-16 19:21:51

The idea of a second Scottish referendum is hardly a surprise - it has been bubbling away in the background ever since the first. I think there is a groundswell of opinion there that wants to leave the UK, and if this is what they want, then so be it - who are we to say no to this?

Ceesnan Fri 24-Jun-16 19:32:09

It would be interesting to see how Scotland would cope without the funding it gets from England. Could it really afford the payments it would have to make to the EU? I'm genuinely interested by the way, so if anyone could offer opnions I'd appreciate it.

Gracesgran Fri 24-Jun-16 19:46:19

David Cameron resigns and Jeremy Corbyn's leadership challenged. Not much sense of steady as she goes (to pinch the PM's stream of metaphors)

thatbags Fri 24-Jun-16 19:49:45

A second referendum on Scottish independence was always on the cards with the SNP.

By contrast, and to give David Cameron his due, he is behaving as if he respects the majority vote of the people on EU membership. Not sure everyone else will respect it. It is not, after all, legally binding yet.

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 20:25:06

Sturgeon was going to try for another Scottish referendum come what may

Bet she is rubbing her hands in glee (behind closed doors)

What a sad day for the UK

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:26:56

I thought she meant there was a watch. Doh

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 20:27:43

What funding does Scotland get from England?

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:27:52

jalima I do not like Sturgeon. She looks like she starches her underwear.

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:28:24

Anniebach Are you Joking?

petra Fri 24-Jun-16 20:39:02

Annie Scotland do quite well out of the U.K.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jun-16 20:46:43

With oil not being quite the money spinner it was, an independent Scotland wouldn't survive without being in the EU but I don't understand why they want to be independent from the rest of the UK but still tied down by EU restrictions.

Jane10 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:47:03

Nonnie1 Nicola is tiny and thickly made up.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jun-16 20:49:40

It seems that there's now a bigger movement for a Nexit (Holland) and a Frexit referendums and Denmark are quite keen to leave too. We live in interesting times.

obieone Fri 24-Jun-16 20:53:14

And Sweden Spain and Greece I think.

Gracesgran Fri 24-Jun-16 21:00:36

NfkD I have seen people saying today that yes they know we will have a smaller economy but they felt it was the right thing to vote leave. Why shouldn't those in Scotland want to rid themselves of Westminster as we have just rid ourselves of Brussels; it seems it is a good thing whatever the cost in some people's view.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 21:05:39

Petra, Scotland is part of the U.K.

Ana Fri 24-Jun-16 21:11:25

Yes, and Wales is obviously quite happy to accept Westminster funding and do without the not-inconsiderable amount of EU money it's benefited from in the past.

Gracesgran Fri 24-Jun-16 21:11:57

Does anyone remember Uncle Mac on the radio? I just heard Boris on the news and he is beginning to sound like him.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jun-16 21:25:29

But surely, Grace Scotland would want independence from Europe too?

Granny23 Fri 24-Jun-16 21:26:03

Ceesnan People and companies in Scotland pay their taxes, customs & excise, Vat, oil revenues, etc. to the UK Treasury in the same way and at the same rates as everyone else in the UK. An agreed sum is then returned to the Scottish Government under the Barnett formula to fund the Health Service, Education, Police etc. - all the things that the Scottish Parliament has devolved control of. If the England and Wales budget for, say, Education is cut or raised the same % cut or rise is applied to the sum passed back to the SG. The remainder of the tax take from Scotland goes into the UK pot to pay for UK wide expenditure e.g. Defence, the Monarchy, Social Security and Pensions, Embassies,the payments to the EU, etc, etc. Some of the UK POT is also used to pay for projects e.g. high speed rail, airports, which benefit England (particularly the SE)only because England does nor have a separate POT of its own, whereas the new Forth Crossing has been funded entirely from Scotland's budget (as was the Commonwealth Games) which is a bone of contention. Under the system no money is transferred from England to Scotland (or vice versa. All revenues raised throughout the UK go to the UK Treasury.

People elsewhere complain that they are subsidising services in Scotland e.g. free prescriptions but this is not actually the case. When the SG examined prescription charges they found that the cost of administering the system, with the elderly, chronically ill, pregnant mothers and children all entitled to free scripts and each one having to be checked to ensure it was valid, meant that abolishing charges for the few who had to pay was almost 'cost neutral' as the administrative saving was equal to the revenue previously raised from the charges. To a lesser extent the same applies to Free University Tuition because there is a huge saving on the admin required to re-coup Tuition Fees from students and the SG has chosen to allocate available education funding differently to England (as have Wales & NI).

If Scotland decides to break free from Westminster Control, then all Scottish revenue would be retained in Scotland and the SG would be able to pay its dues directly to the EU instead of paying its fair share of EU dues via the UK Treasury as it has done until now.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 21:27:12

Where does westminster get the money they so kindly give to Scotland and Wales Ana?

Ana Fri 24-Jun-16 21:30:44

Er...taxes Annie? I was just pointing out that no more EU funding will be available, but Wales still decided to leave.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion