Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can a referendum be valid if won on lies?

(242 Posts)
whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 15:13:39

Apparently there are lawyers looking into this

Synonymous Sat 25-Jun-16 15:22:29

To be fair it would have to look at the lies told by everybody or that wouldn't be fair! hmm

NanaandGrampy Sat 25-Jun-16 15:24:47

Would that apply to things like General elections too I wonder?

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 15:27:49

If any election is based on lies then it must be illegitimate

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 15:29:26

Your hide option not working nana?

dramatictessa Sat 25-Jun-16 15:31:27

What's your source for this ww? I'd be really interested to look at it. And for a bit of humour, look at the old Yes Prime Minister clip about the European Union on YouTube (can't work out how to put it into this message)

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 15:46:08

I saw a tweet from Alaster Campbell. He said that Lawyers are looking into the legitimacy of the vote.

I think they may have a point if you look at the last lot of literature and their last debate.
Then look at what they are saying now

NanaandGrampy Sat 25-Jun-16 15:47:20

There isn't one apparently one Whitewave , so I shall have to skip past those that don't interest me.

I think most political elections seem to have an element of things that could be lies dependent on your how generous your interpretation is . So that's democracy bugger end then :-)

NanaandGrampy Sat 25-Jun-16 15:47:45

Buggered lol spellcheck damn you!

sunseeker Sat 25-Jun-16 16:32:02

Well if Alistair Campbell said so - it must be true!

thatbags Sat 25-Jun-16 16:34:22

I didn't decide based on anything in the campaign so my vote would stand whether lies were told or not. How would anyone know "it was won on lies"? You'd have to prove the lies, if there were any, made a difference to what people would have voted anyway.

thatbags Sat 25-Jun-16 16:36:23

Politicians are often parsimonious with truth without actually telling lies, possibly because there are very few plain truths in politics. Most things are quite complex.

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 16:42:09

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW6QHYmffEs

There is its!

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 16:45:15

www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE

Or this one.

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 16:47:01

That was such a clever programme - they don't make 'em like that any more!

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 16:51:59

Politicians have to provide a manifesto which we can l pour over. All we had was listening to debates and leaflets. I am quite sure that those voting leave on the migrant issue voted in the expectation that it would cease. They've since be told no

Those voting leave on the NHS voted in the expectation that extra money would be found. They've since been told no

merlotgran Sat 25-Jun-16 17:56:10

Thanks for the links, Luckygirl

They were brilliant programmes.

daphnedill Sat 25-Jun-16 18:23:00

I doubt very much if a referendum could be run on legal grounds. Even the petition would require retrospective legislation, although even that hasn't been beyond the government angry.

However, the petition has just collected 2 million signatures. Is any government really going to be happy knowing that there are 2 million seriously pi$$ed off voters in the country? This referendum was held partly because UKIP polled over 4 million, so it's serious number of grumpy voters.

If I were Dave, I'd hold a new referendum. I'd introduce a form of list system for elections, which would inevitably mean some UKIP MPs, but that's fine. Then I'd hold a new election, which the Conservatives would probably win. I'd appoint Boris, IDS, Gove, etc as governors of some far-flung islands and get on with the job of listening to people and getting this country back on track.

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 18:28:34

Dave won't do anything he's washed his hands.

We are rudderless.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 18:31:16

How do you know that ww? He said he would steer the country on to it's next course. He will keep to his word. (Of course you can't expect him to be starting on it today. Give the bloKe a break)

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 18:32:41

Frankly if I were him I'd say sod it!

crun Sat 25-Jun-16 18:39:05

"Those voting leave on the NHS voted in the expectation that extra money would be found. They've since been told no"

It's worse than that, there was a woman from Burnley on the TV last night who had voted leave because she thought that Remain were going to scrap the NHS.

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 19:12:51

Well if Alistair Campbell said so - it must be true!
sunseeker grin
(although Alistair Campbell and true should not be spoken in the same sentence)

BlueBelle Sun 26-Jun-16 07:20:02

just picked up this thread so may have missed this answer Thatbags said you would have to prove the lies Isnt a bloody big bus with 3.5 million for the NHS a starting point

absent Sun 26-Jun-16 07:33:55

jings I think he actually said that a new captain would steer the new course. Of course, originally he said that if if the vote were to leave, he would start the process the next day but he doesn't want the hassle and who can blame him?