Gransnet forums

News & politics

Which thread?

(41 Posts)
Atqui Sun 26-Jun-16 14:36:57

Why are there so many threads on the ( dreadful) referendum ? I can't read them all!

ninathenana Sun 26-Jun-16 16:28:47

New ones popping up everyday. I'm not saying it's not important but......
Zzzzzzzzzzz

gangy5 Sun 26-Jun-16 16:28:51

I was so looking forward to last Thursday and thinking that Friday would bring peace on Gransnet!! and there being much fewer threads on the subject - but, the result was such a shock- to most people, that it is now generating a load more waffle!! Personally. the result was very pleasing to me.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:39:19

Pleasing to a lot of people, me included gangy however from reading the threads you would be forgiven for thinking that only about ten people had voted to Leave.
There Was bound to be fall-out, but the extent of it on social media is ridiculous,if you value your sanity you won't be trawling through most of it.

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:40:25

So don't read the waffle. You can sit there feeling smug but lots of us are angry.

Did you really expect what has happened to happen?
What do you think will happen next to the UK?
Voting for Brexit was not a positive. You voted against an idea, not for anything.
What do you think you actually voted for?

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:40:40

Shall We start a Christmas thread and have some good cheer ( and a mince pie)?

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:42:38

Please go away djen ( you told me to clear off, but I am more polite.)

Atqui Sun 26-Jun-16 16:43:58

I'm angry too, but so many threads.....

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:46:24

Sorry, I didn't think this thread was just for those who voted to leave the EU. I thought it was for anyone.

I'll stay off here if you stay off the important ones. Is that a deal, roses? Then you can all go back to sleep.

Jane10 Sun 26-Jun-16 16:46:46

Sorry roses but you've sorely misread the situation and most likely missed some key points. You might not like what dj says but a lot of people are in complete agreement with her. Including, in the case of the tragic vote for brexit. You've voted for Pandora's box.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:47:35

Your opinion only Jane

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:50:12

Actually, Atqui, I think that, too. Every time someone gets annoyed, they seem to start a new thread. There are three on Corbyn now, I think. I have occasionally written something on one thread and thought it would be better on another but cannot then find the other thread, so leave it where it is.

Is it just a symptom of a world where we all feel lost at the moment?

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:50:23

Well over half the country voted to Leave, and you cannot possibly tell them all that they are 'stupid, thoughtless, had no idea what they were voting for' simply because it doesn't chime with what you wanted, that is sheer arrogance.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:53:11

Why be so damn rude on Gransnet to other members djen ( and others) just because they voted differently to you? By all means grumble but leave out the insults, it's idiotic.

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:53:52

Yes, Jane10, Pandora's box, leaving only hope shut inside.
We'll just have to let her out.

ninathenana Sun 26-Jun-16 16:56:58

Once again a thread has developed into recriminations. The question was "why so many threads" not who was right or wrong in how they voted. Exactly why I have not said on any thread how I voted [sigh]

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-16 16:58:15

Isn't this a thread about other threads ?

sunseeker Sun 26-Jun-16 16:59:46

I understand people have strong feelings about the result of the referendum but what I think the OP was getting at is the number of threads about it. By all means express your feelings about it but can't it be kept to just a few threads. We all have opinions about it but don't want to have to scroll through so many threads to find something else to post about. Perhaps GNHQ could have a topic just for the referendum threads.

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 17:00:42

You have surely read gangy5's post. Red rag and all that.

Sorry, roses, why are you so damn rude to people on gransnet?

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 17:04:48

Perhaps your own post is a 'red rag' djen (that would never occur to you of course)
And yes to the OP there are far too many threads.

varian Sun 26-Jun-16 17:07:01

roses - over half the country did NOT vote to leave - only 37.3% of the electorate voted to leave and a good number of them are now regretting their mistake.

When the first devolution referendum was held in Scotland more than half of those who voted said yes to devolution but it was not allowed because it was less than 40% of the electorate.

It is the policy of this government that if a trade union holds a ballot for a strike, no legitimate action can be taken unless 40% of those eligible to vote supported the strike.

To put such an important, complex and far-reaching decision to a referendum and then accept that we have to destroy all the good work that has been done over our lifetimes in working together with our EU allies on the basis of 37.3%, is reckless in the extreme and totally undemocratic.

Jane10 Sun 26-Jun-16 17:10:32

Just one thing roses half the country didnt actually vote brexit. Only a whisker over 50% of those who voted: something like 37%. Not exactly conclusive. Meanwhile back to what the hell are we going to do?! A fine mess we're in now.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 17:13:46

It was a LOT of people Jane regardless of exact percentages.

Jane10 Sun 26-Jun-16 17:15:34

That sort of comment explains your understanding of economics! A LOT of money and jobs will go.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 17:15:35

I also doubt that 'a good number are regretting their vote' either, what is a good number? This is rubbish.