Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new Centre party?

(211 Posts)
kittylester Sun 26-Jun-16 14:49:01

I know I say this often, but is now the time for a new SDP to arise from the mess? Where is a Gang of Four when you need them?

Alea Sun 26-Jun-16 14:49:52

I'd vote for that

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-16 14:59:44

The Gang of Four failed, they had to get into bed with the Libs

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 15:02:09

It may well happen Kitty if they can't get rid of Corbyn.

Jane10 Sun 26-Jun-16 15:06:32

Nothing wrong with the good old fashioned Liberals. We need them right now!

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-16 15:19:08

Didn't say there as anything wrong with the Libs, the question was a new a new centre party and the Gang of Four as an example . Thry failed .

kittylester Sun 26-Jun-16 15:22:34

Apparently, liberal party membership has gone up massively.

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-16 15:26:03

But you want a new party Kittykester

kittylester Sun 26-Jun-16 15:27:14

And?

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:14:50

...then we could say ' a plague on both your houses'

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:17:28

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/06/25/a-coalition-in-the-national-interest/

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:19:27

Backed by Paul Mason, too.

medium.com/mosquito-ridge/progrexit-a-5-point-plan-cf5984fccfc2#.wxhfswdu9

daphnedill Sun 26-Jun-16 16:20:15

A new centre party AND proportional representation smile

kittylester Sun 26-Jun-16 16:22:51

I agree Daphne but we stand little chance of getting PR before we have another general election. A new centre party however would be more easily organised.

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:23:49

"The task for the left in Britain now is to adapt to the new reality, and fast. The Labour right is already trying to pin the blame on Corbyn; UKIP will make a play for Labour’s voters. Most likely there’ll be a second independence referendum in Scotland.

Corbyn was right to try and fight on “remain and reform” but his proposed reforms were never radical enough. He was also right to devote energy to other issues — making the point that in or out of the EU, social justice and public services are under threat. But the right and centre of Labour then confused voters by parading along with the Tory centrists who Corbyn had promised never to stand on a platform with.

The Blairite Progress group is deluded if it thinks it can use this moment to launch a coup against Corbyn. The neoliberal wing of the Labour Party needs to realise — it may take them a few days — that their time is over.

Ultimately it looks like Labour still managed to get 2/3 of its voters to voter Remain [I’ll check this but that’s what YouGov said earlier]. So the major failure is Cameron’s. It looks like the Tory vote broke 60/40 to Brexit.

It’s possible Cameron will resign quickly. But that’s not the issue. The issue is the election and what to fight for."

This was written by Paul Mason while the count was still happening.

Ana Sun 26-Jun-16 16:26:07

What's that got to do with a new centre left party?

Ana Sun 26-Jun-16 16:26:28

Sorry 'centre' party!

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:29:27

It's about a coalition in the national interest, taken from a longer article, which you probably have not read yet.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:32:49

So, have you gone off Corbyn now djen?

Ana Sun 26-Jun-16 16:33:27

So not about a new Centre party at all, then.

phoenix Sun 26-Jun-16 16:40:04

The way things are going, the old "Monster Raving Loony Party" could start to seem like an attractive option.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 16:46:32

I Went to a Uni dance where Screaming Lord Such was performing ( leaping out of a coffin) but then he became disorientated ( off his head on drugs) and blundered about shouting, he got booed off the stage.grin

kittylester Sun 26-Jun-16 17:36:11

I wasn't talking about a coalition but a new party of the centre - not centre left!!

varian Sun 26-Jun-16 17:39:57

The Liberal Democratic party was a merger of the Liberals and SDP, whose view of the world was very similar.

Great progress was made between the early eighties and 2010 when the party faced a very difficult decision. The outcome of that election was that no party had a majority and although most LibDems were closer to the Labour party than the Conservatives, the numbers did not add up for a Labour/Lib Dem coaltion. It was decided (but it was by no means a unanimous decision) that we should work with the Tories in the interests of the country.

The alternative would have been a minority Tory government and another election soon after. The Tories were the only party with the money to fight another election and they would probably have won.

I was one of the LIbDems who reluctantly supported the coalition and in spite of the achievements that were made where good LibDem policies were enacted and bad Tory policies were blocked, I now think that it was probably the wrong thing to do.

The coalition served the interests of the country but not the party.

I live in an area where the Labour party is virtually non-existant and so the LibDems did attract votes from left-leaning voters. They were not so much Liberals as anti-conservative and they were no longer prepared to vote for a party that had "got into bed with the Tories"

We realised in 2015 that because of this we were on course to lose a third of our votes and about half of our seats. However Nichola Sturgeon made a big impression at the televised debates and SNP support rose. When she uttered the triumphalist "we will work with the Labour party to lovk the Tories out of Downing Street for ever" there was an immediate reaction in England and we lost two-thirds of our votes from 2010 and almost all of our seats. In spite of getting twice as many votes as the SNP we only have eight MPs and they have all the seats in Scotland bar three.

In spite of this party membership has soared and over a thousand new members have joined in the last few days.

The last thing we need is a new centre party. The Labour party, Tories and Greens are all having to find new leaders. We have an excellent leader in Tim Farron, who in spite of the lack of coverage in the press and TV, certainly mounted a strong campaign to remain in the EU and did not shy away from appearing on the same platform as other prominient Remain politicians of all parties. JOIN THE LIBDEMS

whitewave Sun 26-Jun-16 17:53:06

The most important thing in my opinion is to keep the nationalist far right from any more gains