Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Media fuelling division

(36 Posts)
Joelsnan Wed 29-Jun-16 00:39:02

My local newspaper is tweeting a headline Babyboomers votie for Brexit will this result in poverty for today's young families.
Firstly I find this generalisation wrong and the fear inducing factor of the supposition fuelling division.
Secondly I have seen calls from more than one newspaper calling for anyone who has suffered any racist comment since last week to contact them, I find any true xenophobia or racism really distasteful and feel it should be stamped on immediately. Shouldn't the media be advising anyone suffering to contact the police, rather than hover like vultures looking for something to inflame divisions further, sadly these issues have been occurring since mass immigration started last century, why sensationalise it now.
I get a sense that the media is on some sort of mission to whip up and fuel anxiety and division within the population and I wonder why?

suzied Wed 29-Jun-16 04:46:48

Cos it sells papers?

Alea Wed 29-Jun-16 05:29:05

Substitute any racial or religious group for "Babyboomers" and suddenly it's hate crime. Welcome to the minority group, grans.
#blameCameronnotyourGran.

Anya Wed 29-Jun-16 05:29:23

Yes, to sell more papers and, for the owners of some, to have power. It is obvious that papers like the Sun are read, devoured and believed by certain sectors of society and that owners of these papers enjoy the power that brings them over influencing whole swathes of the population.

Money and power. A heady mix.

Jane10 Wed 29-Jun-16 08:48:42

Money power and a readership lacking in critical appraisal skills.

adaunas Wed 29-Jun-16 09:45:27

And it's already creeping down. First it was all the 60+ to blame ( regardless of how they may have voted). This morning in the news the blame has moved to 50+ and undoubtedly the blame will soon include 40+. Eventually blame might even get down to all those 18-24s who sat on their backsides and didn't vote. That group of around 60% supported the leave vote because they didn't vote, so are just as reponsible for the failure of the Remain campaign as those people who did vote. The media was and is responsible for a lot of negative publicity for whichever side you voted for.

PennyH Wed 29-Jun-16 11:03:41

If any one's to blame it's the government for calling a referendum. We vote in this country for MP's to make theses big decisions. Mr Cameron gambled this country's future economic welfare away so he could stay in power, he thought the vote would go his way but he underestimated the strength of feeling against the EU. You can't give people the right to decide on something and then get angry when they don't vote your way. By the way, I voted to stay and I'm devastated by the result.

moxeyns Wed 29-Jun-16 11:09:31

Could you write to the newspaper and make that point, Joelsnan? Worth saying.

K8tie Wed 29-Jun-16 11:54:55

PennyH . . . re your comment " We vote in this country for MP's to make these big decisions." What if these people are not always infallible? It is in our best interest to question and to enquire exactly what we are saying "yes/no" to.
The "overview" that politicians/media sell us needs to be much more transparent, and not manipulating . . . the feedback this past week in ALL areas has been horrific causing terrible polarisation of opinion between not just the wider community but within previously closely knit families. So sad and divisive!!!
As voters I've always thought we have much more power if we will utilise this power more effectively. But to do this we need first of all to vote in politicians who demonstrate the highest integrity.

POGS Wed 29-Jun-16 11:57:08

It's ALL papers not left or right.

Anxiety and division is not the domain of the media sadly it runs throughout politics and some seem to relish it.

grandMattie Wed 29-Jun-16 12:10:28

So sad about the polarisation of views and opinions.
Surely, now "alea jacta est" we should do our best to make Brexit easier, the divorce less messy and vindictive. I find all the confrontation frankly extremely distressing.
I hope and pray that the EU officials will be reasonable and ease us out - I'm not holding my breath because the EU Commissioners are terrified of "contagion"; that those who are disillusioned with the EU as it is won't be tempted to do as we did! sad

Sheilasue Wed 29-Jun-16 13:55:26

Feel like our country is in a terrible turmoil what with Brexit Cammeron going and trying to get Corbyn to leave it's awful such a lot of uncertenty

varian Wed 29-Jun-16 14:03:02

The Sun, Britain's most popular newspaper, has a huge burden of responsibility for whipping up hatred - but now see what it says today

www.lbc.co.uk/james-obrien-slays-the-sun-over-racism-hypocrisy-132968

Who could possibly say that the media has not fuelled hatred?

Beammeupscottie Wed 29-Jun-16 14:21:57

Sorry Mattie. I feel that if you believe in something you need to confront and fight for it. Don' ever lie down because the other side has then won.
Cameron has said he wants trade agreements and I think we will have them but at a price. I shall laugh if that price is free movement of people which means back to square one.

varian Wed 29-Jun-16 14:27:57

I don't think we'll ever get back to square one. We'll never get back to what we had this time last week, which was not perfect but could have been changed for the better.

We have lost the goodwill of our friends and allies. It is not just the pound which has plummeted, Britain's reputation has sunk to the pits.

We are not all UKIP voters, racist thugs or gullible readers of the Sun but sadly that is the way we will be seen from now on

Luckygirl Wed 29-Jun-16 14:34:10

The media love all this and seek out racist demonstrations to whip up a frenzy - a dirty profession indeed.

varian Wed 29-Jun-16 14:37:47

Boris and Gove, leading lights of the Leave campaign were both journalists. Boris got sacked by The Times for telling lies.

Beammeupscottie Wed 29-Jun-16 14:46:22

What frightens me is the similarity between Boris and Trump,
Tweedledum and Tweedledee went to fight a battle.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 14:47:34

That is total codswallop!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 14:48:16

Unless you just mean looks. But even then....

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 14:52:31

I agree with grandMattie. Time to move on to the next bit. But we must hold our nerve and put this country before the needs of the EU.

If Brexit does turn out to be contagious, then they must handle it.

Anya Wed 29-Jun-16 15:05:48

I'm in danger of agreeing with you jingl - total codswallop.

M0nica Wed 29-Jun-16 16:41:36

I disagree, Boris is clever (but not intelligent) Trump is not.

But when it comes to be prepared to mouthing populist views without considering the truth or effect of what they say they do have much in common. Similarly I think both in power would tend to shoot their mouths and make policy on the hoof and while both seem very good at scheming neither has the patience or tenacity to take part in the nuanced carefully negotiation that is so essential in international affairs.

If we have to have Brexit, Boris is the last person I would want to have negotiating it, he would rub everyone up the wrong way and we would get the worst of terms.

Beammeupscottie Wed 29-Jun-16 16:48:33

Thank you MOnica. They have both gathered a big populist vote. It is so funny that they both have hair the media constantly go on about. Both are right-wingers looking for the vote of ordinary people.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 16:50:53

Boris is very intelligent. "wise enough o play the fool" perhaps?