Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oscar Pistorius sentenced for murder

(107 Posts)
glenda Wed 06-Jul-16 10:01:59

He's finally been sentenced, but he only received six years in prison! Is anyone else rather put out by this? Seems to make light of his crime completely.

Elegran Wed 06-Jul-16 10:06:47

The judge spent a long time summing up and balancing all the factors.

Gononsuch Wed 06-Jul-16 10:09:39

If you're a white man and you murder a white women, you get 6 years. If you're a white man and you murder a black women you get a job in government. That' what SA is like.

DaphneBroon Wed 06-Jul-16 10:11:43

There is some justice, but 6 years is strange sentence for MURDER.
The main thing for me is that this "golden boy" athlete has been shown up for what he is.
Sadly it also tells us a lot about life in S Africa today.

glenda Wed 06-Jul-16 10:14:22

Interesting to hear Gononsuch, but I wonder whether his fame had anything to do with it. We can, of course, only wonder.

breeze Wed 06-Jul-16 10:27:46

Disgusted. My sympathies are with her parents and family. Not only have their lost their young, beautiful daughter/relative, under violent circumstances; but now they haven't got the closure they need as justice has not been done. From the reports during the first trial, he is a bad tempered bully but as is 'type' with that kind of bully, turned into a snivelling coward once confronted and tried to save his own skin. The 'situation' in SA has changed enormously since the end of apartheid, but it's like a 'new' country and a lot to be learned. Or perhaps, but I would hope not, sympathy for his disability, that didn't stop him belting along and winning races. Pathetic and just down right wrong. My heart goes out to Reeva's parents. From day one they knew no one in 'their right mind' would shoot through a bathroom door knowing their girlfriend was in the house and could be behind it. It never did add up. He was drinking, lost his temper, shot her. 6 years. Disgraceful.

Juggernaut Wed 06-Jul-16 10:28:42

He's a murderer, who has been given a ridiculously short term of imprisonment.
Reeva's family must be devastated all over again, I feel so much sympathy for them, is this truly all that their daughter was worth?
He's pulled the wool over everyone's eyes, there didn't seem to me to be any sympathy for Reeva or her family, but a lot of self pity.
If he'd been 'Joe Bloggs' you can guarantee the sentence would have been a lot more!

sunseeker Wed 06-Jul-16 10:31:32

The judge took into account his loss of reputation - what about Riva's loss of life! I don't think 6 years is long enough. I have never believed his version. If there was a burglar in your house and he heard you were coming, wouldn't he be more likely to jump out of a window or run out a door rather than lock himself in a bathroom?

GandTea Wed 06-Jul-16 10:33:49

I cannot find the definitive answer but I suspect that this will be what happens :-

He was originally sentenced to 5 years for manslaughter, served 10 months before being patrolled.

As this is the same crime, the 6 year sentence will replace the original 5 years, so he has only been sentenced to one additional year.

There is no indication of how long he will spend in jail before being paroled again.

Not much justice for the family.

breeze Wed 06-Jul-16 10:56:12

G&T smile

Gagagran Wed 06-Jul-16 11:16:13

I don't think the original judge should have been the one sentencing him now. She got the original verdict wrong. The court of appeal who decided it was murder should have sentenced him. Judge Masipa has been a soft touch all along.

All my sympathy lies with Reeva's parents. Pistorious murdered their beautiful girl in cold blood then constructed a fanciful cover up story. Justice has not been done.

Christinefrance Wed 06-Jul-16 12:10:29

In total agreement with everyone here, a pathetic excuse for a man with his wailing and gnashing of teeth.
I expect the judge took into account the length of time all this has taken. Riva of course had no time at all.

Gononsuch Wed 06-Jul-16 12:16:19

glenda

His fame only meant that we heard about.

Linsco56 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:34:15

The Steenkamps must be devastated it's an insult. Reeva's poor mum has aged visible over the past 3 years. This is not justice.

gettingonabit Wed 06-Jul-16 13:09:06

The minimum sentence for murder in SA is 15 years, but a judge can reduce that sentence if he feels there are mitigating factors, such as, in Pistorius' case, remorse, rehabilitation etc.

Hence the 6 years.

Poor family. A travesty.

Jayh Wed 06-Jul-16 13:30:57

Like you GG I was very surprised that the original judge decided this new sentence. That doesn't make any sense to me. On the news just now it is being predicted that he will be out in three years.

Jalima Wed 06-Jul-16 17:31:28

remorse,
hmm crocodile tears and an attempt to play on his disability - which did not stop him becoming a great athlete.

I agree, it is a travesty

gettingonabit Wed 06-Jul-16 20:50:20

The performance sans legs in the courtroom was awful. Cringe worthy.

Like a pp says, he'll probably be out in 3 years.

Anniebach Wed 06-Jul-16 21:20:14

A top disabled athlete in fairness

Smileless2012 Wed 06-Jul-16 21:41:00

Yes Anniebach a top disabled athlete who competed against able bodied athletes. I was disgusted when he walked around the court on his stumps, it was sickening.

He lost his lower limbs as a small child, tragic but that hasn't prevented him from being a top athlete and didn't stop his cold blooded murder of his girl friend.

Her family and friends must be devastated and his family and friends should be ashamed.

I didn't see any signs of remorse, must have missed that bit.

Anniebach Wed 06-Jul-16 22:04:01

I see nothing sickening in any disability

Smileless2012 Wed 06-Jul-16 22:24:55

It isn't his disability that's sickening Anniebach and I didn't say that it was. It was using it to try and illicit sympathy that was sickening, and even more sickening that it seems to have worked.

Anniebach Wed 06-Jul-16 22:31:10

Smileless, that would have been done either by instruction from his defence team or perhaps asked by the judge, I don't know. To say he was guilty of murder is fair , defence do what ever they think will help their client , saying him walking on stumps was sickening wasn't fair,

breeze Wed 06-Jul-16 23:35:19

Sorry but have to agree with Smileless. There is nothing sickening about walking on stumps, but walking on stumps to try to get away with murder is.

Carolpaint Thu 07-Jul-16 10:23:32

He has from an early age understood that he could get 'secondary gain' from his disability. Yes it was manipulation. His family are like South African aristocracy with immense influence he will be indulged in prison as he has always been. Unfortunately indulging without responsibility creates tyrants, how difficult it is going to be for the prison officers or his murdered girlfriends family to ever get true justice. A beautiful vibrant young woman cruelly disposed of by a manipulative shabby evill spoilt child, yes he never grew up so the rage of a temper tantrum was unleashed on a helpless unable to defend herself young woman with everything to live for and look forward to. I salute her family, hope they stay resolute