Gransnet forums

News & politics

Channel 4 Dispatches - Momentum Party

(512 Posts)
POGS Mon 19-Sep-16 21:58:40

Well that was interesting. I should say Panarama was also enlightening but not as forceful and uncompromisingly direct in it's reporting content as Dispatches.

I'm not going to simply post on the Lib Dem Thread which has turned into a Labour Thread as I think this programme summed up exactly what I have thought and have been posting since the formation of Momentum , it is a ' Party within a Party.'

I will say now to those who will see it as propaganda and take umbrage at my post you cannot argue with what you see and hear from the horses mouth, no matter how hard you might try and no doubt will.

The fact Momentum are doing all they can to play down the Momentum name in connection to the ' Jeremy for Labour ' Campaign , the use of the Unite Union office are significant, the way the reporter was paid is serious stuff and I hope there is further investigation into that. Will anybody take it up I wonder?.

Has anybody 'Cicked' on the ' Jeremy for Labour ' Campaign or answered questions on the phone in connection with it. The reason I ask is if you have you are, as I understood it, on the data base on the Jeremy For Labour Services?. Listen to what is said about it , you may not be too happy, or maybe you will of course.

There is to be fair a Momentum explanation and statement at the end of the programme but it is worth viewing to make your own mind up if you didn't catch it.

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 22:24:29

It distressed me .

I don't receive anything from Jeremy for Labour and have never received a phone call relating to Corbyn . I do receive mails the party sends out from both Owen and Corbyn .

Dispatches confirmed my suspicions of Momentum , there really should be further investigations but I doubt it. Taking on Momentum and Unite ?

Momentum members will dismiss it as propaganda, I felt sorry for the young people who really believe what Momentum and Corbyn are telling them but even more sorry for decent, loyal MP's who face deselection . I do know the threats MP's are receiving are vile and I do not believe Corbyn is unaware of them. That hit list was no error .

How can such a movement hold a political party to hostage POGS?

dramatictessa Mon 19-Sep-16 22:30:30

What threats are the MPs receiving, and who is making them? How do you know this? Genuine questions, I do want to know the truth.

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 22:36:58

I have been told what some contain,

durhamjen Mon 19-Sep-16 22:40:55

Well tell us, Annie.

Are you also going to watch the Ken Loach film, POGs, for balance?

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 22:43:09

I have learned not to be so trusting on this forum Jen , there are a number here I would tell , you are not one sorry.

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 22:46:08

I don't think anything could be put forward as balance , we heard the recordings said by some Momentum workers, we heard the reporters questions in her pay

dramatictessa Mon 19-Sep-16 22:51:40

That doesn't help me at all, annie. Could you at least give me a link to some information? I hear so many accusations about threats and deselection but no hard facts. Happy for you to pm me if you don't want to post on the forum.

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 22:52:53

Sorry no

durhamjen Mon 19-Sep-16 23:21:52

Just lots of innuendo.

Last year I had an email from Jeremy for leader.
I replied to it, then got one from Momentum.
I did not reply to that, and I had one from Momentum North East or Newcastle or whatever.
I unsubscribed from that and have had no more from Momentum.
It's easy not to get stuff from Momentum if you don't want it. They do not harass people. It would be a waste of their resources.
So not every supporter of Corbyn is a member of Momentum, or a trot. In fact, it seemed to give the impression that very few of them were Trotskyites. Only three of them appeared to be EWL. or whatever it is, and that was in one of the biggest groups in the country.

I would like to see a similar programme about Progress. I doubt if there will be one.
In fact, I think it's all the Progress group who want rid of Corbyn.

durhamjen Mon 19-Sep-16 23:28:52

By the way, both the Panorama and Dispatches programmes were made by the same production company, with the same director.

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 23:30:25

I was advised to beware of certain defences put forward by Corbyn supporters who denied they have contact with .momentum, this is the harm they have done - apart from the damaged to the party - they are such plotters and schemers they have spread mistrust . I don't know if you are a member or not Jen , I fear you are

durhamjen Mon 19-Sep-16 23:35:05

So it doesn't matter what I say, it's what you think that is the truth, is that what you are saying?

No point in saying anything any more to you, then, is there.
I would appreciate it if you just ignored my posts, as you do not believe me.

If you read my post properly, you will see I have NOT denied having been contacted by Momentum.
There are a lot of Corbyn supporters on here, but not many Smith supporters.
You are going to be lonely.

POGS Mon 19-Sep-16 23:39:45

Durhamjen

I'll tell you what I think about Ken Loach and his Left Unity Party. I remember you advocated Left Unity once on GN along with The Greens and the NHA.

How you can possibly put Ken Loach/Left Unity forward and use the word 'balance' in the same breath!

"The 66 Labour MPs were 'named and shamed' by LEFT UNITY, a separate anti-austerity political party which has recently considered joining forces with Labour since Mr Corbyn was elected Labour leader.

Minutes after the vote was announced the group tweeted out the 66 "Labour warmongers" along with the banner: "DESELECT them now". They repeated their message on Thursday morning:"

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-mps-who-backed-syria-air-strikes-hit-back-after-jeremy-corbyn-supporters-threaten-deselection-a6758656.html

--

"The CPGB(Communist Party of Great Britain), and Communist Platform supporters, have always thought that the idea dominant in LEFT UNITY that there was a large political space to the left of Labour for a ‘broad party’ on a broadly left-Labourite platform and organisational principles was illusory. Jeremy Corbyn’s victory in the Labour leadership election blew up this illusion. Under the circumstances, the only possible future for LEFT UNITY would be to build itself as an instrument of MARXIST regroupment, on political and organisational principles which represent a clear alternative to Labourism; and to pose in relation to Labour the question of breaking the system of bans and proscriptions, in order to turn the Labour Party into a united front of the whole workers’ movement.

Since Corbyn’s victory a part of LEFT UNITY’s members, including leading comrades, have ‘voted with their feet to leave LU and JOIN LABOUR ’"

cpgb.org.uk/pages/news/100/why-were-out-of-left-unity/

I will watch the film but why do you think Ken Loach with this history can be seen as a person to give 'balance'?

POGS Mon 19-Sep-16 23:43:08

Durhamjen

Did you watch the Dispatches or Panarama programmes.

Anniebach Tue 20-Sep-16 08:59:00

So much to read POGS, thank you

rosesarered Tue 20-Sep-16 09:11:59

I watched them ( the programmes) and all I can say is they are a deceitful bunch who don't even have the courage to be truthful about anything at all.

Anniebach Tue 20-Sep-16 09:30:55

They couldn't manipulate people if they were truthful

POGS Tue 20-Sep-16 10:32:08

Durhamjen

You asked me yesterday if I was going to watch the Ken Loach film to which I answered I would look at it.

I thought your link on the Lib Dem Thread , (why the hell that has turned into a Labour thread I don't know), was to the film but it is not.

How can I view the film , do you have a link?. I am thinking it may not be for ' public viewing' only activists and those attending pro Corbyn rallies but on that point I am happy to be told differently. If I have missed a link to the actual film then it is a genuine mistake and I apologise upfront.

POGS Tue 20-Sep-16 10:33:29

Anniebach

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Welshwife Tue 20-Sep-16 11:38:06

I know very little about Momentum - in fact I first heard about it on here - I have however seen a spokesperson from the group on two separate occasions being interviewed /in a discussion on a couple of news type programmes. I must say I was in no way impressed with them or their arguments and would not vote for anyone I thought had a lot to do with them.
It is a pity that the system in UK is in such disarray - if you don't want to vote Tory and are not impressed by the the current Labour set up it does then leave it to the Lib Dems - at least Tim Farron seems to be a tad with it all.

TerriBull Tue 20-Sep-16 11:39:41

I don't know if anyone here saw last Thursday's QT where Anna Soubry (not very keen on her) made the assertion that John McDonnell was "a nasty piece of work". She also said that it was shameful that there is at least one Jewish female MP who has to live in a "safe house". She further went on to say something along the lines of, and which I do agree with, any government needs a strong and robust oppostion to hold them to account and if we don't have that, it's not good for democracy. I have no idea whether her comments about John McDonnell are justified because I'm not au fait with the dynamics in the Labour party and haven't been on the political threads for a while so am not up to date, but can see that since Jezza's initial election as leader, some of you are no longer enamoured with him. I believe there was a bit of a behind the scenes dust up between John McDonnell and fellow panelist Alistair Campbell.

POGS Tue 20-Sep-16 11:53:38

Terribull

Yes I saw it and she had a point about John McDonnell and his history with 'language' and I don't just mean his latest incident calling Labour MP's who vote no confidence in Corbyn 'Fu----g Useless'. He has form but passes them off as jokes or repeating what others have said because he is as good as Campbell at that sort of thing.

It was amusing watching the usual ' I am not going to make this personal' clap trap turn into the total opposite, a slanging match. Especially those two who are in my opinion quite Macheavelian by nature in their political field.

daphnedill Tue 20-Sep-16 14:08:04

Did Anna Soubry say who the Jewish female MP was?

Luciana Berger, the MP for Wavertree, has said that she's had to add security measures to her house as a result of threats. However, one person has been charged with making death threats. He had nothing to do with Momentum, but is a racist/antisemitic scumbag. She has had a number of threats, but I'm not aware any of them have been linked to Momentum.

Of course, it could be a different MP. Just wondering.

daphnedill Tue 20-Sep-16 14:20:19

@Welshwife

I was watching somebody called Claudia (something) on TV this morning. Apparently she's a newly elected member of the NEC. I don't know whether she's a Momentum member, but she was voted in by the 'members' (whoever they are). She reminded me of those teachers who get sent on headship courses and come back full of bull$hit and ideological waffle, using the same jargon, which they repeat over and over again.