Gransnet forums

News & politics

Foreigners

(618 Posts)
Granny23 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:09:59

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/firms-must-list-foreign-workers-gw20ndp5x

Saw this report this am and my blood ran cold. Is this - lists of all foreigners - not the beginning of a very slippery slope which leads to yellow stars sewn on to clothing?

I'm wondering what constitutes a 'FOREIGNER'? Surely not my very good French born Scottish friend who has lived, worked, been married in the UK for nearly 50 years? Or the 3rd generation Asian Scots who run our local convenience store? Or the music teacher who coaches the Wee Community steel band - she's from the USA (and one of the drummers is (shock horror) German. Or the Syrian and Polish families now at school with my DGC. What about DH's Consultants? The last one was from New Zealand, the Current one is, I think, Indian. Will the Houses of Parliament have to list all the MPs and Lords who were born elsewhere.

Am I the only one to hear alarm bells ringing in my ears more loudly than usual? Have we reached a tipping point, where rampant British Nationalism is the only mantra?

whitewave Wed 05-Oct-16 12:22:05

Ghastly isn't it?

We need to be so careful as there is a rather too large element in the UK who would cheerfully jump on this bandwagon.
Just look at the incidents since Brexit.

Jalima Wed 05-Oct-16 12:26:58

I was a 'furriner' when I moved down to the South-West many years ago and was told I should not take their jobs.
I don't know how long I would have had to live there before I was considered not foreign.
ps I came from another part of England, not from overseas.

whitewave Wed 05-Oct-16 12:29:17

jalima you weren't a foreigner you were a grocklegrin

Jalima Wed 05-Oct-16 12:37:44

grin
I must have been accepted in the end because I used to moan about the grockles crowding into the shops on a rainy day when I was on my lunch hour from work, in their plastic macs and sandals.
Gosh, I must have become prejudiced! shock

Rox2323 Wed 05-Oct-16 13:06:34

Love the comment by Phillip Robertson 2hours ago. Very good.

rosesarered Wed 05-Oct-16 14:40:38

Granny23 an OTT post if ever there was one.
Foreign nationals ,means anyone that isn't British either by birth or marriage.The Government is no doubt interested in numbers of foreign workers, to see how many EU or other ,firms are employing, it's only in the consultation stage anyway.

ninathenana Wed 05-Oct-16 15:10:43

A certain supermarket beginning with 'M' has a huge distribution centre near me that is almost exclusively staffed by Eastern Europeans. Even the employment agency they use admit it but what can they do.

obieone Wed 05-Oct-16 15:42:47

I do think the whole thing needs to be handled with care.

On the other hand, the unemployment rate is 1.65 million. Presumably at least some of them could and would like to work in the supermarket beginning with M and elsewhere.

Ana Wed 05-Oct-16 15:46:21

Why handled with care? It's only for statistics, for goodness sake!

grannylyn65 Wed 05-Oct-16 15:47:36

Why would you just put an initial? Is naming not allowed?

Ana Wed 05-Oct-16 15:47:49

And the report talks about 'foreign workers' not 'foreigners'.

petra Wed 05-Oct-16 17:20:43

Why shouldn't we know?

Granny23 Wed 05-Oct-16 17:37:04

Ana I think it is a long time since people became British purely by marrying a British Citizen. Nowadays many couples do not marry anyway. All the people I am thinking about are employed, paying their Taxes, have homes and families locally, are active in the Community. I should have mentioned our chimney sweep - the only one for miles around - who although highly qualified in his own field was made redundant and could not find work so drawing on his childhood experience in Hungary, where he tells me everyone sweeps their own chimneys, he started a Chimney Sweeping business and now employs a couple of local lads. Maybe he will not have to register as he is now a business owner?

If, as you say, this is still at the consultation stage, then surely this is the time when we should speak out against it?

Ana Wed 05-Oct-16 17:39:16

I think you mean rosesarered, Granny23!

Granny23 Wed 05-Oct-16 18:18:34

Sorry Ana most of my post was indeed in response to RosesRred' comment.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Oct-16 18:19:50

It makes my blood boil and turn cold at the same time
We re all bloody foreigners no such thing as ' totally anything'
I think everyone should do one of those DNA tests which show just how mixed up we all are
It ll be an awful thing to live in a country void of any other communities it's what makes the country a good place to live.

petra Wed 05-Oct-16 18:40:58

BlueBelle I don't know anyone or have read on here anyone who wants a country void of any other communities
Did you not hear what people were saying pre referendum, they want controlled. Immigration.

rosesarered Wed 05-Oct-16 19:53:03

Honestly, people do go on the boil early..... why the heck should we speak out against it? Presumably we need to know how many foreign workers are needed,which firms are using them, and why, as this will all help with immigration for the future.Its still only at the idea stage, but would show where ( farming, food industry etc) we need immigration the most, why should it be sinister?

Jalima Wed 05-Oct-16 19:57:20

We're all bloody foreigners confused

Well, if one is a UK citizen with (or without) a UK passport one is not a foreigner in the UK. Many people who have come to live here from overseas are now British citizens, born here or not.

Of course I am a foreigner whenever I visit another country (or even the South West of England apparently!).

Ana Wed 05-Oct-16 20:05:24

Blood running cold, blood boiling...confused

durhamjen Wed 05-Oct-16 20:23:32

I said on another thread that my granddaughter had a form to fill in to say what nationality she was at birth and where she was born, what language she speaks at home and what other languages are spoken in her house.
The head made it quite obvious that it was a government requirement.
Have other people's grandchildren had to fill in these forms?

rosesarered Wed 05-Oct-16 20:29:23

No idea, as their parents will have had to deal with those sort of things relating to school.It may well be a common requirement when a child starts school now.

durhamjen Wed 05-Oct-16 20:31:52

This is year five, and it's new. The head did not realise the government needed the information until last weekend.

Ana Wed 05-Oct-16 20:36:50

schoolsweek.co.uk/eal-is-this-a-change-for-the-better/

The head should have known.