Gransnet forums

Chat

Did Linnaeus get it right? Perhaps not.

(14 Posts)
Allbran Mon 25-Aug-14 23:26:08

My Latin's not brilliant but I gather when Linnaeus classed us lot as "Homo sapiens" we must have been getting a somewhat rose-tinted view up there in Uppsala. Presently, that "sapiens" specific looks extremely ill judged. If some Latin scholar knows the right word for "meddlesome", that's my revised specific. Perhaps someone knows an even better one.

Galen Mon 25-Aug-14 23:29:37

Suicidal and idiotic!

Nelliemoser Mon 25-Aug-14 23:48:52

Ooops. A lot of repeat posts there with exactly the same time to the second! Why does this keep happening? It has to be a fault on a computer somewhere. You cant do repeat posts like that on purpose.

kittylester Tue 26-Aug-14 08:26:12

I'm not convinced the topic is that interesting nellie, are you? grin

Soutra Tue 26-Aug-14 10:34:06

confused ] Perhaps allbran would care to elaborate? Not to worry if (s)he doesn't thoughgrin.

Eloethan Tue 26-Aug-14 12:19:21

Sorry, my education is probably sadly lacking but I don't understand the post.

Elegran Tue 26-Aug-14 12:42:20

Homo sapiens (ˈhoʊ moʊ ˈseɪ pi ənz) n.
1. The species of bipedal primates to which modern humans belong, characterized by a brain capacity averaging 1400 cc (85 cu. in.) and by dependence upon language and the creation and utilization of complex tools. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Homo+sapiens

"Wise" like "wisdom" is a subjective quality, not dependent on intelligence. Language can be used for many purposes. So can tools, including as weapons.

Human beings can be wise and intelligent. They can also, yes, be stupid or use their intelligence to meddle, but that intelligence has been used in all kinds of humane ways in medecine, science, law, and aother things. I don't think you can label humans as just "meddlesome" or any other derogatory epithet.

Aka Tue 26-Aug-14 12:45:59

The English meaning of the Latin word 'sapiens' is wise, sensible, judicious. I too think, in general, it was a misnomer.

Aka Tue 26-Aug-14 12:48:05

How about Homo infestus?

MiniMouse Wed 27-Aug-14 11:20:30

aka grin

durhamjen Wed 27-Aug-14 11:32:29

Homo cogitans?

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 11:34:38

Homo cogitans omnia (male of the species)

Ana Wed 27-Aug-14 11:42:38

Galen! grin

Allbran Sat 30-Aug-14 17:11:15

Explaining Linnaean classification, Eloethan, is probably best left to Wikipedia, or the like, but I find Elegran's optimism about Homo sapiens quite touching. Apologies, Elegran, for being such a cynic. As I get older it appears to me that Homo sapiens, far from getting better at the sapiens bit, is getting worse at it. How else does one explain the ever widening range of pretexts for aggravating conflict in almost any field of endeavour you like to name. I don't dispute our cleverness, Elegran, but we often claim to learn from experience much better than other, humbler, species but we constantly repeat the same follies we have throughout history - hence my invitation to rename our species less flatteringly and, I believe, rather more truthfully.