Gransnet forums

Chat

IMPORTANT! Please read. Missing Gransnet member in France

(412 Posts)
whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:28:11

Carol Sheridan, who we all know well as Greatnan, has gone missing in the French Alps, probably whilst out on one of her frequent mountain walks.

Carol lives in Habere Poche, in the Haute Savoie departemente about 20 miles from Lake Geneva. She is mad keen on hiking alone in the mountains, and will often take off in her car to find a remote mountain pass where she can walk and enjoy the amazing scenery.

On Saturday last, she was seen driving out of her car park by a neighbour, and she has not been sighted since. Police have made enquiries and advised she can be listed as a missing person this morning. Interpol, Wellington, New Zealand police and the French gendarmerie will cooperate in attempts to find Carol. (Her daughter lives in New Zealand)

Her daughter, Fiona Conyers, is coordinating a poster campaign, and local radio stations, the Mairie, people in the village, Commonwealth Office, British Embassy and several others have been notified. GNHQ have a copy of the poster and will try to assist.

Carol's mobile phone was active whilst she was missing, but is now showing 'call failed.' However, signals from it when it was active may help the search.
She drives a black Fiat Panda 4x4 reg: AZ 522 AP. she could be parked on a mountain pass, waiting for help to arrive if she has broken down. The walks she goes on are in very remote areas, but she does occasionally see other walkers and cyclists.

A group of Gransnetters has been busy over the last 36 hours, sharing information and supporting the family. A couple of fluent French speakers have emailed local radio stations, offered to speak to police and to give help with translations of information.

We are aware there are quite a few Gransnetters living in France and the Swiss borders. If you know of any walkers who will be in the French Alps today, please share this with them.

Finally, would you please avoid sending private pm message with your good wishes, as answering them will distract the involved Gransnet members from liaising and offering support to Carol's worried family. I know you lovely Gransnetters will understand, and we'll keep updating as we know more throughout the day.

Many thanks.

specki4eyes Mon 04-Nov-13 23:46:02

I've just read that and yes, her car has been found but not her. They can't deploy a search helicopter because of the conditions prevailing. This is all truly horrible and we must pray that the combined will of all of us will reveal her whereabouts..wish I was nearer but its 7 hours drive from here. Will happily do any French speaking if required though.

ZingWantsCake Mon 04-Nov-13 10:34:35

have you seen this?

just copying magi's post on Mumsnet this morning

"magimedi Mon 04-Nov-13 10:06:15
It seems that her car has been found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.tdg.ch/geneve/faits-divers/voiture-britannique-disparue-retrouvee-mieussy/story/29933507

Scroll down the facebook page - don't know why it appears like that but the other French link does as well.

I hope this is correct - I've waited 10 mins or so to post."

not sure if car is confirmed to be Carol's but it is encouraging news!

sorry, if posted in the wrong place!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 02-Nov-13 22:53:54

Having so many long threads is becoming tricky to keep on top of. So, in response to your comments, and to keep things simple and easier for everyone to follow we've separated the threads into three: Suggestions, Support and Updates. Hope this helps. Goodnight all - wishing and hoping for news tomorrow.

Lynker Sat 02-Nov-13 22:51:59

GrandmaMiney posts on the Strictly Come Dancing Thread. She is Susanna Reid's mother. Susanna presents BBC 1 Breakfast News.....could someone who knows how, contact her via PM..........would it help in any way? Just a thought........

Hannoona Sat 02-Nov-13 22:14:43

Don't feel deflated. Your telling us here was a very human and most natural thing to do.

granjura Sat 02-Nov-13 21:58:35

The sighting was via a Forum for expats in Switzerland. It's reliability could not be checked before passing on to police and Fiona, and as light was failing, I felt it was best to pass on, whatever. The police went to the exact location given, and did not find the car. Of course, any info should be given direct to the police, on the number clearly given there by myself, not to me (or just copy to me). I feel totally deflated about this lead rasing everybody's hope and the car not found.

granjura Sat 02-Nov-13 21:54:54

Please, do not waste time or energy thanking me. Just no need and totally irrelevant here. Let's put all efforts into finding the car and Carol- the rest has no meaning at all.

Grumps15 Sat 02-Nov-13 21:53:05

The reference to Clara is in an area too far away to contemplate going for a short hike. The light would most likely be fading before she reached there!

Psammy, the link to the footpaths show popular routes which most likely would have seen plenty of pedestrian traffic.
I'm led to understand Carol also liked to venture off piste by not following established footpaths.

If I've understood this correctly, was the sighting of the car first reported via a social networking site?
Surely in future, these reports should be made direct to the Police!

Galen Sat 02-Nov-13 21:45:15

Zing that fine thanks!

Elegran Sat 02-Nov-13 21:36:17

I saw that post too - it made me think that her mobile as a torch would not last long. But I don't think she would do the same thing again.

Gagagran Sat 02-Nov-13 21:32:30

OK sorry - just couldn't get it out of mind and thought I'd mention it just in case. I would have been mortified if it turned out to be relevant and I hadn't done so.

whenim64 Sat 02-Nov-13 21:28:00

Gagagran she said she had no intention of doing that particular walk again!

ZingWantsCake Sat 02-Nov-13 21:26:23

evening all, I've just registered (I'm not a gran), so I can post a link to second Mumsnet thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1899869-Carol-Sheridan-Missing-Gransnet-Member-French-Alps-2nd-thread-KEEP-BUMPING

sorry, if this is not the right place to post it.

Gagagran Sat 02-Nov-13 21:25:04

On the Anglophone-Direct.com there is a post from Carol on 24 October last year detailing one of her walks where she got lost and it fell dark. Sounded really scary and she was out for about 8 hours sliding down dangerous slopes past steep drops on her bottom etc. She was on her way to somewhere called Clara when she got lost. Just a thought - would it be worth having a look round there again?

At the very least it show the sort of adventuring she gets up to and what may have happened again.

whenim64 Sat 02-Nov-13 21:23:31

Habere Poche and Habere Lullin are distinguishable, even to idiots like me! The police will know the difference!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 02-Nov-13 21:10:38

This again from the MN thread: bluebirdonmyshoulder

"Assuming the police looked in the right 'Habere'? There's two, Habere-Poche and Habere-Lullin. They're about a 5 min drive from each other."

Granjura, are you in touch with them? Is it possible just to ask them to double check.

whenim64 Sat 02-Nov-13 20:58:58

ogm I agree with you - Carol doesn't do much on a Sunday but relax and go for a walk, weather permitting, then return and cook a Sunday dinner.

Psammy Sat 02-Nov-13 20:58:51

From mumsnet, bluebirdonmyshoulder -

"Sorry about the fruitless car lead.

This is a website showing walking routes in that region. It's very much a long shot I know but could anyone who knows Carol better and is familiar with her FB posts have a browse and see if anything jumps out at them?

Link

Sook Sat 02-Nov-13 20:58:42

It is good to see you back granjura

glassortwo Sat 02-Nov-13 20:54:00

granjura {{{hugs}}}

Marelli Sat 02-Nov-13 20:51:32

granjura, you're working so hard with this. No wonder you're feeling deflated.....

Ariadne Sat 02-Nov-13 20:51:20

Sterling work, Granjura! It is good to see you back. Thank you so much.

glassortwo Sat 02-Nov-13 20:50:48

Sorry granjura I didnt read the thrad before posting.

Psammy Sat 02-Nov-13 20:50:36

Copied by me from here, see Granjura's post above.

So horribly disappointing. sad

glassortwo Sat 02-Nov-13 20:49:42

Just read this on Mumsnet

Latest

"Police went to location given and could not find the car. Info was given on a Forum,and the reliability could not be checked before passing to police. Totally deflated, I am so so sorry. Fiona has been informed."

Damn. Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news.