Gransnet forums

Chat

Earthquake in California

(5 Posts)
rubysong Sun 24-Aug-14 22:53:03

Just heard about this on the news. It is magnitude 6 and is on the north of the San Francisco bay area. There are some injuries and damage to property. I hope all GN families in the area are OK. Thankfully ours live further inland from there.

FlicketyB Mon 25-Aug-14 08:16:56

In a few weeks DD is off on a holiday starting in San Francisco. Just hoping no more earthquakes happen in the 24 hours she is in and around that city. She is then heading for Las Vegas, which is, I think, out of the danger zone.

FlicketyB Mon 25-Aug-14 18:23:49

DD has now informed me that on her first day she and her friend drive from San Francisco to Sacramento, right along the line of the fault that quaked!hmm

rubysong Mon 25-Aug-14 18:43:34

I'm sure she will be fine, flicketyB she may experience mild aftershocks but they don't seem to think there will be anything serious. I hope she has a great time.

FlicketyB Tue 26-Aug-14 09:23:19

Once DD arrives, the fault will not dare to cause her inconvenience!!

This is her third trip based, for at least part of the time, on Las Vegas. All her holidays are non-gambling but she finds it makes a good inexpensive base for tours further afield. This year she and her friend are starting in San Francisco and wending their way across country to Las Vegas over four or five days staying nights at various other places as they go. Sacramento is their first stop-off.