Gransnet forums

Chat

feeling lonely quite often

(60 Posts)
onmyown Sun 16-Nov-14 16:47:19

Throughout my adult life I have been something of a loner.

I was married for 25 years (first 9 years living together before marrying) and we raised two daughters and then I had a second longterm relationship where we lived apart but shared good times and lovely cosy domesticity, mostly at weekends.

But neither my husband nor my second partner shared my interests. For a lot of the time I was friendly with neighbours and work colleagues but never felt that I made any close friendships. So I have pursued on my own any interests I have had.

I am now on my own. For very good reasons I am estranged from all of my family, including my two adult daughters, one of whom I know has two daughters of her own, my granddaughters.

Please respect me when I say that I do not expect this situation to change and I do not feel bad about it. As I say, this situation exists for very good reasons.

Now retired, I am on a low income, but more relaxed and able to pursue interests of my own, and am perhaps happier, more contented, whatever, than I have ever been before, despite a couple of spells of ill health in the last 4 years.

But growing older, being retired and living alone, I find I spend several days in the week/at the weekend without speaking to anyone, although paradoxically I am, for the first time since I was a teenager (when for two years I was part of a happy group of other teenagers) building a social life - once a week meeting two members of one choir for coffee, once a week, going for a drink after a second choir with four or five other members, and sometimes having additional meetings at events. All enjoyable, all quite relaxed.

So I am on the verge of phoning Silver Line to say "I am lonely" but do not think I am quite at that point yet. I am not housebound. I am feeling fit and healthy. But I struggle to fill days, especially weekends, with meaningful activities that stop me feeling lonely.

Is there anyone out there with similar experiences? I would feel less alone if I knew other people who are experiencing this kind of social isolation.

I can see that you might think I have Aspergers - I don't think so, although I acknowledge I may be on the edge of the spectrum (at its mildest). More significantly, I recognise that, as a child, I grew up in a sad, mildly-dysfunctional family and did not learn many basic social skills.

I have also, as a result of aforesaid mildly dysfunctional family experiences, tended to relate to miserable and mildly-dysfunctional people/partners - how sad. I have moved away from this in recent years, but its still not easy to change .

So, is there anyone one out there who can raise a laugh with me about the awful times, and build on the good times?

henetha Sun 16-Nov-14 18:12:08

We have things in common. I've sent you a personal message.

Galen Sun 16-Nov-14 18:17:44

Lots of us actually.

shysal Mon 17-Nov-14 09:01:12

I also live alone, have 2 daughters and 6 grandchildren but no close friends, having always been a loner, held back by my shyness. I take part in exercise classes and walking groups, but only see one lady ocasionally outside of those activities. Is there a U3A in your area that you could join? I know actually making the initial contact is stressful, but it could provide you with company doing activities which you enjoy. Have a look on line.
Gransnet has been great for information, advice, and best of all, laughs! I have found it addictive, logging in several times a day, but not necessarily posting comments. Please keep visiting us, you are very welcome. For a friendly chat I would suggest you try the Soop's Kitcheners thread. I look forward to seeing your user name popping up!flowers

Teetime Mon 17-Nov-14 09:41:59

Hallo onmyown I'm sorry that you feel that way and hope that all of us here on Gransnet can be some comfort- keep posting most of us are talking drivel so join in.smile

ninathenana Mon 17-Nov-14 12:38:41

onmyown I can relate to some of what you say.

is there anyone out there who can raise a laugh with me yes lots of them. Do keep posting, I have had lots of LOL moments on GN.

kittylester Mon 17-Nov-14 12:50:26

Have you thought about volunteering onmyown? Maybe for Silverline?

Welcome to GN and take a look at other threads too. flowers

Tegan Mon 17-Nov-14 15:20:08

Well, I think you've made the first step by joining gransnet!. I have my computer on all day and just dip into whatever is happening, and, as I tend to stay up very late I have chums on another forum that are around in the early hours. Just having the computer on means you don't feel you are on your own. When I was newly divorced and my children had gone away to uni the internet would have made such a difference to my life; even though I worked back then, the weekends were terribly lonely.

rosesarered Mon 17-Nov-14 16:09:54

Welcome to this forum onmyown there will be quite a few people here who relate to what you say.In the end, of course, most of us will be in this situation as well [if we don't die first!] But somebody has to in any relationship, so we will all come to it in time.It's good that you seem fairly happy with your own company though and have outside interests [choirs] but there will be a lot of time with nobody there. Ask yourself if you want to volunteer for any work [you may not want to] but there are other groups to join, such as W.I. history clubs, gardening clubs etc. Helping children to read in primary schools is a nice thing to do as well.These are all things that don't cost much and put you in touch with other people.Good luck for the future.

onmyown Wed 19-Nov-14 15:28:44

Thank you to all who have posted messages, you have really made me feel welcome at Gransnet. So thankyou Henetha, Galen, Shysal, Teetime, Charleygirl, Ninathenana, Kittylester, Tegan, Rosesarered, and Sunseeker.

You all sent much-needed positive messages and thoughts. So thank you again.

There was more than one mention about:

- Volunteering - yes, I've dipped in and out of conservation and community gardening in the last two years, and you are prompting me to revisit the volunteering centre (near where I live) to find out about other possibilities

- U3A - yes a great organisation, although not for me at the moment after about 12 years as a mature student (which was rewarding) followed by some academic employment (which I didn't enjoy) - so, well, who knows, I may dip into this in the future?

- dipping into the rest of Gransnet, yes I've been reading lots of postings on all manner of topics, hence the delay in posting this message. blush

So all in all Gransnet feels great, and I am having lots of ideas that I'd like to share, but not straight away (I can type for England if I let myself!) and I will definitely be posting again. smile

soontobe Wed 19-Nov-14 15:36:37

I have often thought,that if my husband dies before me, I will either get a lodger, or become one somewhere.

Although there are times when I enjoy my own company, and alone time, I wouldnt want it all the time.

onmyown Thu 20-Nov-14 17:31:18

This is good thinking, soontobe. It could be a positive way of moving on from being alone too much, if needed.

I tried having a lodger a few years ago. It did help me to break patterns of isolation at the time, but did not work out long-term.

I might consider it again in the future but not at the moment. I am enjoying a period of personal re-evaluation, which has led me to joining Gransnet - a good move, I feel I am getting to know a whole lot of positive people from a safe distance, while exploring (yet again!) new options to enrich my life (after a couple of periods of ill health).

onmyown Thu 20-Nov-14 17:52:29

Christmas alone - it would be good to hear positive experiences of this.

My first Christmas alone, over 20 years ago after years of miserable Christmases was wonderful - so peaceful, how great, no aggro, with a special luxury Christmas Eve meal totally of my own choice and a bottle of wine (a rare luxury then - although I do it more often now, and enjoy it). Then the actual day, listening to Radio 2 DJ's who seemed to completely understand my mindset - we know that Christmas can be a drag, so its great to be away from all of that - and lets be cheerful - - and feel good.

Since then, I've spent some Xmases with a difficult friend (so not good) and others on my own -

one was a Solo big hotel Christmas break (nice and homely, despite the big hotel location, carols, board and parlour games, an evening disco, a good coach trip out on Boxing day, meals with all the trimmings - the downside was that I felt the hotel staff really didn't want to be with us, but at home - understandable).

another was in a Youth Hostel - we were an odd mixed bunch, some Japanese tourists who didn't know about Christmas, and others who, even more than me had only experienced sad Christmases - so the atmosphere was warm and supportive and even a bit jolly at times, and the staff were great -

so this year, turning down an offer to share Christmas with a friend, my plan is to stock up on Christmas Eve with lots of curry from a nearby curry house that I've wanted to sample for the last 6 months - roast dinner for one is great occasionally but - well, I really want to pig out on dishes from the curry house - my special treat. With a bottle of wine, a small bottle of port and/or sherry for added indulgence, cheerful TV, cheerful radio, and my own DVD of The Sound of Music, some mince pies and cream and maybe cake, goodies, fruit and nuts - what's not to like?

Tegan Thu 20-Nov-14 18:06:26

Sounds good to me onmyown! I've just spend quite a long time today chatting to people in the sauna at my local leisure centre. It's ladies morning but after 12.30 men are allowed in. I started off with the ladies but then got chatting to the men as they trickled in. Theres an area to sit and chat outside the sauna and steam room, people came and went and it was good fun. Talk was mainly about holidays and cars and there was lots of laughter. Being a sauna there's almost a holiday atmosphere about the place. Really enjoyed it smile.

Soutra Thu 20-Nov-14 18:09:45

Good plan onmyown there can be a big difference between being" alone" and being "lonely" and one deciding factor can be one's own mindset. If only the media wouldn't portray a "normal" Christmas as a Dickensian feast with happy families being re-enacted where there are no arguments/hangovers/feuds/burnt offerings and the dog is not being sick on the carpet having chewed up the chocolate tree decorations. You will get my drift! For most people Christmas is at best an opportunity to be with those we love but too often at a price while for many others it can evoke sad memories, stir up family tensions and is often something to be "survived" rather than enjoyed.

Agus Thu 20-Nov-14 19:04:29

Welcome onmyown I think you will be surprised at how involved you will become with Gransnet. Lots of conversations to join in and wonderful support and advice for those of us who need it now and again. Also regular meet ups are arranged in different areas should you wish to meet up in real life.

There is always a thread going on Christmas Day for those of us alone through choice or not. Or, even those who want to escape from family!

Look forward to your posts. smile

onmyown Thu 20-Nov-14 19:05:07

Soutra - yes, I agree the media run-up to Christmas is often very over- the-top Dickensian.

But anyone at home alone on Christmas Day, try pressing the buttons on your radio for different radio stations.

Unexpectedly Radio 2 - a few years ago certainly - avoided the big hype and made me feel very comfortable - a relaxed atmosphere - 'well, we don't have to be at home with grumpy relatives, over-excited children, and harassed cook-in-chief (usually mum), do we?' That kind of thing. Then they played records that kind of fitted in with this.

Meanwhile, all of you out there who have good family Christmases, well, I envy you. But I can still enjoy my own space, sense of peace, and low-key enjoyment - its really good when it works.

onmyown Thu 20-Nov-14 19:12:11

Agus - thanks so much. Its very good to hear there is a Christmas Day thread.

I feel that I am "getting to know" lots of other people on Gransnet (I only registered a week ago!) and I would love to meet up in real life, but not yet - - - - I often feel uncomfortable socially, after the first ten minutes or so, which I can do very well, and then I run out of things to say - I recognise its a failure on my part to be myself while relating to others.

Its getting better all the time, but having only started at around 50 years old, I'm a bit of a latecomer to sociability - - - - but its never too late, I have learned that already.

Thanks again.

onmyown Thu 20-Nov-14 19:14:39

Tegan - positive thoughts about going for a sauna! - thanks, yes.

I have done this in the past but I struggle to find the balance between being outgoing and being "well-behaved". Does that make sense?

Galen Thu 20-Nov-14 19:17:06

Fancy that idea of a take out curry!
Think I'll do that.
It's a toss up between that and a dressed lobster.hmm

onmyown Thu 20-Nov-14 19:26:24

So yes, Tegan, thanks for prompting me to think about a visit to the leisure centre with sauna. I love the sauna experience including being naked, there is always a towel to wrap around if needed. But I don't like to be boiling hot for too long and love a freezing cold shower or plunge - but not too often!

Anyone else up for this?

onmyown Thu 20-Nov-14 19:32:55

Wow, Galen, a dressed lobster sounds fantastic - maybe I'll try a seafood extravaganza for New Year? Yummy, a great real treat.

However, I have wanted to try this (highly recommended) curry house for a while, but not done it, going for a curry for one hasn't really appealed to me. But collecting a whole array of stuff on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day, that might be good. So I'm planning an over-the-top take-away, with all the trimmings.

(If its awful, well, that's Christmas - remind me to do something different next year!)

bikergran Fri 21-Nov-14 21:42:33

onmyown wow! you make it sound very inviting "curries, wine,port,sherry,mince pies" smile you will find that quite a few Gnetters enjoy participate a lot few glasses of wine wine wine grin "welcome" good to have you on board smile

Galen Fri 21-Nov-14 22:04:20

The M&S dressed lobster is very good indeed! Waitrose is ok, but not quite as good in my opinion!

westieyaya Sat 22-Nov-14 03:28:47

Having been widowed some two years, I have found the loneliness hits during the evenings. I am hoping to alleviate this by moving from a too large house to a flat in a retirement complex. At least there will be friendly sounds around me and occasional social evening get togethers