(61 Posts)
thatbags Thu 27-Nov-14 09:03:27

A blog about Save the Children.

ffinnochio Thu 27-Nov-14 09:11:35

Grrrrrr.

Iam64 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:16:32

Doesn't it make you Grrrrr.

whenim64 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:45:32

I'm really disappointed with the news about Save the Children this week. They've been a favourite charity for many years, since I used to meet other caring professionals in their Leeds offices and spend whole days working there, over the course of a few years. I even considered working for them at one stage. I'm stopping my direct debit and switching it to another children's charity. I feel very let down by them.

Jane10 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:47:24

Its not just Save the Children. I checked out the accounts of one of the big Autism charities. To put it a politer way than I had initially planned- my thoughts were not particularly "charitable"!! These are basically commercial enterprises with products to sell. Don't quite know why I`m so disappointed. I shouldn't be surprised really. Sigh

nightowl Thu 27-Nov-14 09:54:38

I lost all faith in Save the Children when I read that they were awarding a 'global legacy' award to Tony Blair. How can such an organisation have any credibility at all?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 09:58:38

Would you really want Joe Bloggs from behind the counter at Barclays to run these huge concerns?

Mishap Thu 27-Nov-14 10:00:19

Sigh.

POGS Thu 27-Nov-14 11:40:38

Unfortunately there are so many charities that no longer resemble the fine institutions that evolved out of compassion with a pure heart to serve.

Too many charities are now highly politicised, put finance too much to the fore and do not distribute the money gifted to use.

It is very difficult to find a larger charity that has not in place a pay structure that makes the eye water at times. There are too many charitable institutions with a massed wealth that must accept to the public it appears they are totally obsessed with a bank balance rather than putting it's money to good use.

An example would be during the banking crash I think most people were shocked by how much money, in the millions, some of the larger charities were holding in bank accounts. I am not naeive I know wages have to be paid, projects financed, offices paid for etc. For me I want to see money used for the purpose it was intended and I think there is a disparity between those at the top of the chain and those who say volunteer in a charity shop view how the money is spent.

There are good charities out there but I tend to give to smaller, local charities where I can see how the money is spent and see for myself the donation I make has actually been worth while. I no longer believe that to be the case with a lot of the larger, well known charities.

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 11:50:40

Awful.
I have long since thought of charities as essentially Government organisations.
I volunteered at 2 national childrens charities for a total of 6 years.
I am glad I did it, but it opened my eyes.
They do have their good side, but I saw just part of the other side as well.

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 11:52:25

I give to smaller local charities too POGS.
But you still need to be careful.
In a local county charity, its head man was up in court for stealing funds from it.

daffydil Thu 27-Nov-14 11:57:57

And what about those charities who, when you have set up a direct debit, phone you at home urging you to increase the amount you give. I threatened to cancel my regular payment recently if they bothered me again. I understand the caller is not a volunteer but works on commission. One actually said that surely I could afford a little more. I asked if she was familiar with my finances and hung up.

sunseeker Thu 27-Nov-14 12:05:44

As POGS has said we all know there are overheads which have to be paid and charities need to keep a certain amount of cash in reserve, but the amounts most charities have while still asking for donations for emergency situations as well as ongoing situations is obscene. I also object to charities using money I have donated to the cause to put forward a particular political viewpoint. I want my money to be used for the purpose I donated it, not to advance a political point.

Jane10 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:25:58

What a cheekdaffydil I hope you did cancel. Giving to small local charities is a great way of helping others.

Charleygirl Thu 27-Nov-14 13:01:14

I give to a couple of charities but one may well receive a letter from me soon because I do not like to be sent a begging letter for money sent on glossy paper which costs money.

Another medical charity ( I have the condition) each year sends out to each member a very detailed account of the recent research carried out. It is a thick booklet and I would assume that 99% throw it out because unless one has a medical background as I do, it would be impossible to understand and I have mega problems.

Eloethan Thu 27-Nov-14 13:01:39

I think giving an award to Blair will seriously affect the amount of donations they get. I certainly won't give to this charity again.

I agree there are too many charities - how can they all be monitored to ensure that they truly are doing charitable work and that the bulk of the donations they get is not eaten up in salaries and other miscellaneous expenses?

Nonu Thu 27-Nov-14 13:21:58

What on earth has Blair done, to get an award like this !!
hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 13:50:31

Don't you think it possible that the likes of Save the Children are so successful in helping children because of the brain power and business acumen of the people at the top of the organisation? Yes, I'm sure it would be great if they sacrificed their way of life and did the work for peanuts, but is that a really reasonable demand?

Elegran Thu 27-Nov-14 13:57:05

What do the people at the sharp end get?

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 14:09:33

How many high end salaries does a charity need?
Those listed dont even mention the 80k ones and those downwards.

And the swanky offices?
What do they contribute to those at the sharp end?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 14:51:37

interesting

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 14:54:10

"In a statement, Save the Children said: "To run an organisation that reaches 10 million children in more than 50 countries, with thousands of staff, in some of the toughest places in the world takes real leadership, experience, knowledge and skill.

"Without this talent we would not, in the past five years, have almost doubled our income from £161 million to £284 million, enabling us to reach more of the neediest children on earth than at any point in our 90-year history."

thatbags Thu 27-Nov-14 14:57:00

Which suggests that the people who do these jobs for high salaries don't do the work out of a sense of philanthropy. I think that's what many people think is missing. Yes, I'll help kids, but only for a big fat salary.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 14:58:56

How do you know what their motives are? Do you really believe they don't make their own donations?

And they could probably earn more in the world of commerce.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 15:00:12

I'm just really glad there are people to run the charities, and do it well.