Gransnet forums

Chat

IMPORTANT! Please read. Missing Gransnet member in France

(411 Posts)
whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:28:11

Carol Sheridan, who we all know well as Greatnan, has gone missing in the French Alps, probably whilst out on one of her frequent mountain walks.

Carol lives in Habere Poche, in the Haute Savoie departemente about 20 miles from Lake Geneva. She is mad keen on hiking alone in the mountains, and will often take off in her car to find a remote mountain pass where she can walk and enjoy the amazing scenery.

On Saturday last, she was seen driving out of her car park by a neighbour, and she has not been sighted since. Police have made enquiries and advised she can be listed as a missing person this morning. Interpol, Wellington, New Zealand police and the French gendarmerie will cooperate in attempts to find Carol. (Her daughter lives in New Zealand)

Her daughter, Fiona Conyers, is coordinating a poster campaign, and local radio stations, the Mairie, people in the village, Commonwealth Office, British Embassy and several others have been notified. GNHQ have a copy of the poster and will try to assist.

Carol's mobile phone was active whilst she was missing, but is now showing 'call failed.' However, signals from it when it was active may help the search.
She drives a black Fiat Panda 4x4 reg: AZ 522 AP. she could be parked on a mountain pass, waiting for help to arrive if she has broken down. The walks she goes on are in very remote areas, but she does occasionally see other walkers and cyclists.

A group of Gransnetters has been busy over the last 36 hours, sharing information and supporting the family. A couple of fluent French speakers have emailed local radio stations, offered to speak to police and to give help with translations of information.

We are aware there are quite a few Gransnetters living in France and the Swiss borders. If you know of any walkers who will be in the French Alps today, please share this with them.

Finally, would you please avoid sending private pm message with your good wishes, as answering them will distract the involved Gransnet members from liaising and offering support to Carol's worried family. I know you lovely Gransnetters will understand, and we'll keep updating as we know more throughout the day.

Many thanks.

Agus Wed 30-Oct-13 10:35:29

This is horrible news When Thanks for letting us know. Sincerely hope she is found safe and well

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Oct-13 10:37:39

Anyone on Twitter and Facebook please spread the word and link to this thread until we know if there's a dedicated site/page to finding her. Then all info can be in one spot. For those of you who haven't already seen it here is the poster from her daughter.

thatbags Wed 30-Oct-13 10:39:00

Have posted on EmbraceAge FB page and tweeted. Perhaps followers could retweet. The EmbraceAge page is public so should be visible to all.

Try what you can, folks.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:39:24

If the combined forces of Gransnet and other networking sites work, Carol will find herself being swept up and taken to safety by hundreds of willing helpers. The village has started a search party this morning. Fingers crossed for good news.

Oldgreymare Wed 30-Oct-13 10:39:39

Dreadful news, I do hope she's found soon, safe and sound. Keep up the good work When and keep us posted.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:42:25

We've avoided a dedicated page just yet, as concerns were expressed about false claims from strangers being posted, but thousands of people will now have seen this poster via friends and relatives who have it on their Facebook pages and via emails.

Anne58 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:44:33

Oh heavens, I do hope she is found safe and well.

glassortwo Wed 30-Oct-13 10:45:38

I have retweeted Bags embrace tweet, and have asked all my FB friends to share the poster, wider the circle the better for Greatnan.

gracesmum Wed 30-Oct-13 10:46:38

I can only echo what others have said and nurture a hope that Carol will slap our wrists for making such a fuss over her when she turns up after a sudden decision to take a mini break albeit with a phone with a flat battery or a car with a flat tyre.
However - it also highlights the positive power ot the networks which link and unite us wherever we live.

gracesmum Wed 30-Oct-13 10:49:15

I have reread my post and hope it does not sound as if I think this is a fuss about nothing. I am truly worried as this is out of character but hope against hope that there is a happier explanation for her absence.

Elegran Wed 30-Oct-13 10:50:22

I have put a link to this thread on the Edinburgh FB page, and alerted the editors of the other local sites. The wider the better. I do hope she is Ok and it is all a storm in a teacup.

Nelliemoser Wed 30-Oct-13 10:50:47

Well done for your work in getting this page and your other liaison work done WhenI'm

Elegran Wed 30-Oct-13 10:52:03

She has got lost before, and had to scramble about in bad terrain with only a small torch or the light from a mobile phone. As it sounds as though her phone is not responding, she may have been using it again as a torch.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:56:29

gracesmum, greatnan will be the first to admit that a) it's not out of character - she's such a daredevil, especially on her own with no-one saying 'don't do that!' and b) she hates fuss! However, on this occasion, she can jolly well put up with the fuss and when we find her, hopefully safe and ok, things are gonna change! She's going on a curfew and hourly reporting!

ffinnochio Wed 30-Oct-13 10:57:01

I have shared on FB, and also on LIFT - Ladies in France Together.

Anne58 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:57:36

That'll learn her, when !

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:58:02

Thanks, ffinnochio

Grannyknot Wed 30-Oct-13 11:02:19

Good Orderly Direction (GOD). Hope she's okay. Well said when.

Ariadne Wed 30-Oct-13 11:08:00

It is all so very distressing, and her daughter is so far away but doing everything she can. Let's hope, and hope, and publicise like mad. We are a closer knit community here than we might have realised. Aren't we?

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:08:35

Thank you Grannyknot and as quite a few people have said in the last 36 hours, Greatnan, our well-known atheist, will have no objections at all to her Gransnet friends saying that they are praying for her smile

annodomini Wed 30-Oct-13 11:09:31

The poster has also been translated into French by one of our members. Everyone is pulling together. when and I have both visited Carol in her French apartment and know how very difficult the terrain is to search. I hope that those with local knowledge will be able to track her down.

Granny23 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:13:50

I have started a thread called GREATNAN MISSING for those of us who have nothing constructive to add to this thread but feel the need to share our worries and thoughts. Best to keep this thread clear for any news or progress updates.

Tegan Wed 30-Oct-13 11:15:27

Oh crikey; shocked to the core to read this. She did a list of advice for people going out walking alone once; would there be anything in that list that could give any clues? Yes' atheist as I am I'm going to say a prayer.

Ariadne Wed 30-Oct-13 11:24:14

I put the poster up on FB, and the French version, as soon as we got it, and am amazed at how many friends are sharing it. Thank heavens for social networking!