Gransnet forums

Chat

Vintage toys.

(11 Posts)
rubylady Fri 05-Sep-14 05:03:25

I've been looking on e bay for some dolls clothes for my 48 year old tiny tears.

What vintage toys do you still have?

ninathenana Fri 05-Sep-14 08:55:14

I have a large doll (approx 18- 24ins tall) with a walking action she did say 'muma' as she walked but not anymore. She was given to me for my third birthday.
DH still has his teddy.

rosequartz Fri 05-Sep-14 09:20:19

I still have Muffin the Mule in the attic. Not perfect because his leg dropped off and was riveted back on by my DP.

My teddy bear (60+ years old) needs to go to the Teddy Bear Hospital. I really should find him and get him mended.

annodomini Fri 05-Sep-14 09:39:33

My white teddy - now a rather bare bear - is almost 74 years old, having been given to me at birth by my aunt-godmother.

emmasnan Sun 21-Sep-14 20:40:19

I still have my teddy, he's 59 and rather threadbare from so much hugging.

I also have a doll about 24 inches tall with short curly hair, I called her Elaine. She has still got her original dress, although I do remember my Mum helping me to make other clothes for her.

janerowena Sun 21-Sep-14 20:47:05

My grandmother used to make toys and sell them to a rather smart shop in Tunbridge Wells, just as a hobby. Then one day it suddenly became non-PC to sell her best-seller - a golliwog. Oops. So I now really do have a nasty family secret in my closet. I can't part with him, my grandma made him, but I daren't bring him out of the closet!

tiggypiro Sun 21-Sep-14 22:08:51

I have some Matchbox Toys and some Dinky toys from the 50's. I still remember buying the Matchbox caravan in Ascoughs toy shop in Barney.
My DGS's still play with them and love me to tell them about the farm implements which were used on my father's farm.
I also still have the doll which my parents brought back from London on a very rare trip to the Smithfield show. My sister was given one too and they had eyes which shut when the doll was laid down. They also had beautiful hair in plaits which we both cut off to make them more like us. My mother never did forgive or forget.

Deedaa Sun 21-Sep-14 22:31:00

I've still got a box of assorted farm animals. Some of them were handed down from my mother and most of them are missing a leg

rubysong Sun 21-Sep-14 22:47:31

My doll and teddy sit on a bookcase in my bedroom. Teddy is over 60 years old. He wears grey flannel shorts (made by my late mother), and now he is old he wears glasses. Mary, the doll is 57 years old and also dressed by mother, in a red dress and tweed hat and coat.

numberplease Sun 21-Sep-14 23:05:27

Janerowena, don`t feel guilty, golliwogs have been much maligned, I used to love mine. There was a shop in Sutton-on-Sea with a window full of them, in various sizes, don`t know if it`s still there, it was in 2007 that we were there.

Nanabelle Mon 22-Sep-14 00:07:17

I still have my so loved teddy - with worn out arms showing the used knitting wool stuffing through the holes. Also have some Beatrix Potter books from the 1950's and a lovely Arabian Nights given to me in 1957; plus The Water Babies. We didn't have many toys, though we did have the Muffin the Mule puppet, but didn't keep them. Very jealous of yours rose quartz. And of course we too had gollies. (we being my sister and I).