Gransnet forums

Chat

Rather odd request/want on Freecycle

(19 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 29-Sep-14 23:38:13

I'm signed up to our local group so get all the asks/wants into a separate email folder.

I remember being rather miffed at a request for "decent laptop and black leather corner unit sofa" (and I might add, not a "please, this is a big ask, would be very grateful etc) but this one has my mind boggling:

WANTED: Coffin

Any condition any size

Madz69

That's it! No explanation, nothing!

We could start a thread coming up with possible stories behind this?

(rather reminds me of that challenge to write a story in very few words, can't remember who, but I know I posted on another thread that Ariadne commented on as a possible starting point for a lit/English class for her daughter to set her pupils, anyway it was "For sale, baby shoes, never worn")

Sorry, rambling!

posie Mon 29-Sep-14 23:40:59

Coffee table for Goths?

ninathenana Tue 30-Sep-14 08:22:10

Good one posie smile

Gracesgran Tue 30-Sep-14 08:42:39

I have been a moderator on Freecycle/Freegle in the past and it certainly is eye-opening.

The level of English is so varied; some people (whose first language was English) barely able to convey their request/offer. That made me really sad as everyone gets the same free education.

Quite often, if you get brief (impolite?) requests the excuse is often that it was sent from a phone. We did have a few very funny spoof requests from people who got fed up with the level of expectation for big items. One requested a bungalow with a Bentley in the drive. It was written in a very funny way but got the point over.

I think the one that left me open mouthed was a reply to a ban. They happened very, very rarely and this guy had broken so many rules that we had no choice. I had explain this - long list - and he wrote back to say "Why are you banning me for swearing at you. You didn't tell me I would be banned if I swore at you".

People, hey smile

vampirequeen Tue 30-Sep-14 08:58:45

Perhaps they wanted the coffin to use as a bed.

Recently on our local freecycle someone asked for (and received) a caravan!!!

Charleygirl Tue 30-Sep-14 09:19:40

Occasionally here there are requests for flat screen TVs, no size or model mentioned!

Maybe if one does not ask one does not get!

Liz46 Tue 30-Sep-14 09:26:26

Within the last few days on our local freecycle, there have been requests for a caravan, a trailer tent, a six man tent and a car!

On the other side, there is a man who has refurbished hundreds of old computers and given them away.

Gracesgran Tue 30-Sep-14 09:44:02

We have a chap like that Liz46.

I do remember a couple of people complaining about the big cars some members arrived in and that other people may need the items more. We have to remember that these organisations are about recycling not charity.

From that point of view it is worth asking for big ticket items. If someone was going to tip it, better that it is recycled. However, politeness costs nothing.

One of my other gripes was people who replied to an offer with "I'll have that" or similar.

Charleygirl Tue 30-Sep-14 09:52:33

Another of my pet hates is "I will come round now to pick it up". I don't think so as it is 11pm.

I agree, people forget their manners, if they ever had any. I always give a small explanation why I would like an item.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 30-Sep-14 09:53:05

Just had a look at ours.

"Chubby/Fat Hamster. Must be cute!"

Are they going to eat it?! hmm

tiggypiro Tue 30-Sep-14 09:54:34

I love Freecycle WHEN it works well. I have lost count of the people who want something I am offering but do not turn up to collect. I now do an 'advanced' search on possible recipients and people who only put up 'wanted' ads do not get my goods. And then there are those who want the stuff delivered to the back of beyond.
Sorry ! I've gone off post a bit. A coffin could make a good storage unit if shelves were fitted and it was stood on it's end I suppose.

Gracesgran Tue 30-Sep-14 10:01:36

I went off post too so back to the coffin. I imagine it is something to do with Halloween.

I would love to see more strange requests. I have stopped looking at my (we changed) Freegle emails but will start again with interest.

Elegran Tue 30-Sep-14 10:07:05

Whenever I have posted things on Freecycle, I have been struck by the number of replies which say "I will take that off your hands for you . . ." Well, no. It is possible that I will give it to you, but I am doing you a favour, mate!

The other side is the number of lovely people I have met. One that I remember was a Nigerian couple with a young son and a new baby.

AlieOxon Tue 30-Sep-14 10:48:08

Back when, we could have used a free coffin on a Ban-the-Bomb march....

....as a demonstration of the eventual results of using them.....

Explanation may not be necessary but I thought I'd better1

janerowena Tue 30-Sep-14 11:51:09

I think the people using it have got weirder - or is it just in this area? I have used it for years and years, in Lincs and Hants and now here in East Angular, but here, well... I get people who lie and make up sob stories to seem to be the most deserving - one woman said she needed all my curtains because her children had no heating, were cold because her husband had left her etc. etc. I was very surprised when a man turned up in a large new car and when I asked if she needed the curtain poles as well, he said no thanks, they were for his new bachelor flat and his sister had replied to my post...

People not turning up to collect, (THREE divorced fathers wanting a spare (nice, big) tv for children's weekending rooms didn't bother to turn up!!!) people refusing expensive bikes when they found they needed new tyres, people trying to nose further down my garden (I now leave everything for collection on my front lawn) people saying they will 'take it off your hands' two months later, as if they are doing me a huge favour!

I have a lawnmower to go this weekend. I have to brace myself. My stock reply to each answer now is that the item has potentially gone, and I will contact them if there is a no show. This gives me time to get all the requests in and I tend to choose the one that sounds the most genuine and polite. That way I am less worried about who may turn up.

Having said that, I have met some really nice people.

Katek Tue 30-Sep-14 22:11:58

I once collected a prop coffin in the back of my car for a production of 'Oliver'! Perhaps they're doing a show.......

rubylady Wed 01-Oct-14 03:26:47

jane It's a pity you are in East Anglia as I need a lawn mower for my new home. smile I have put some furniture on my local freecycle as I want to refresh when I move but no takers so a homeless charity are coming for it tomorrow. I did think of ebaying it but I'd rather give it to someone who can use it and who is in need. Hopefully that way, when I need something there may be someone with something available for me. smile

Rowantree Wed 01-Oct-14 09:41:57

It might be for someone's art project....or simply that someone is planning an 'ethical'/low-cost funeral. Great idea to ask on Freecycle, though why anyone would have a spare one knocking around the house beats me!

I must say though - I've wondered about recycling coffins prior to cremation. It seems a shame to burn them and you could just tip out the body and re-use the coffin for the next family member. Trouble is, that would put the coffin industry out of business....

Rowantree Wed 01-Oct-14 09:45:24

But on the subject of Freecycle (or Freegle) I've got rid of plenty of stuff, including my old underwear! And have recently collected an exercise bike, which is rather too tall for my short legs and needs bits cut off it. We've had damsons, bricks, and garden stuff, and given away kitchen gadgets, records, clothes, books and plenty of other things. I think it's brilliant, but we have had irritating 'no-shows' and failure to communicate from some members.