Gransnet forums

Chat

Bridge?

(16 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 23-Nov-14 19:49:36

When I was a little girl older people used to play Bridge. Now I'm older should I learn? I heard it's good for the brain but is it boring? Is it really sociable or snobbish? Any thoughts?

Nonu Sun 23-Nov-14 20:16:22

Not a game I play, although I do love card games.I have heard it is a very exciting stimulating game

I think though with the advent of more TV channels it is maybe going out of fashion.

Plus people may not be so keen to go out in the evening with all that is going on in this world of ours.
smile

Agus Sun 23-Nov-14 20:39:23

I have family and friends who attend bridge nights/clubs and they really enjoy it but my family, especially, know I am rubbish with numbers so I have never been invited to join in. They probably know they would lose with me as a partner!

If you get the chance, have a go, it might be something you will enjoy. I'll just stick to draughts and backgammon grin

numberplease Sun 23-Nov-14 20:58:22

Some friends of ours, with whom we played cards and Monopoly each Saturday evening in the late 1960s, tried to teach us how to play Bridge. Hubby grasped it, in a fashion, but it went completely over my head! In the end, they began to play with another couple who lived nearby, and were apparently Bridge afficianados, and our Saturday nights were our own again.

TriciaF Sun 23-Nov-14 21:16:31

We belonged to several bridge clubs for quite a long time, the last one being here in France. It was very sociable and we had drinks and snacks as well, but finished so late, often after midnight, then a long drive home in the dark.
So we reluctantly stopped going.
Husband has played since he was a child, with his family, so is quite good, and I did improve but was never a star.
It's a brilliant game, but difficult and can get very competitive. You need to have good concentration and a good memory.

Jane10 Mon 24-Nov-14 09:54:50

Oh well I`ve contacted a local Bridge club to enquire. I hate being out in the evenings so would like afternoon sessions if possible. Cant wait to sharpen up my concentr......................oh what was I saying? I drifted off there.........................

TriciaF Mon 24-Nov-14 15:52:46

Hope you enjoy it Jane. It's a game that is completely absorbing.
One of our daughters went for lessons with some friends from work and they still play regularly, at eachother's houses.

Riverwalk Mon 24-Nov-14 15:57:42

I'm learning to play Bridge Jane10 - it's certainly not boring!

Many clubs have daytime classes/supervised play - it's not just an evening activity.

Marmight Mon 24-Nov-14 22:37:59

Quite a few of my friends play bridge - I feel quite left out, but I am just not a card person. It's all I can do to master Snap wink and I don't think I would remember all the etiquette involved, never mind the intriquacies of the game. I think it's becoming increasingly popular. We have 2 or 3 bridge clubs on the go in our small village and also lessons available.

MargaretX Tue 25-Nov-14 11:50:29

TriciaF Finally another Bridge player! I have often posted (when discussing hobbies etc.) on how I love to play Bridge and now play every evening on-line and in the Bridge Club on their fortnightly afternoon sessions. Precisely because of the night driving.
The on-line Bridge is BBO Bridge Base Online it downloads by itself onto your computer and you need a user name and password and then you're off. You play with other Bridge players from all over the world, usually 15,000 are playing evenings. Someone told me the server is in California and was installed by Bill Gates . a well known for playing Bridge, this means that there is no heavy software on your computer and you get no SPAM from them either.

Jane10 As to learning - it depends on how keen you are. you will need at least 3 months before you get the feeling you know how to play it is very complicated but worth it!
I learnt in Germany but because of young children could not get to club often enough. Later when living in Manchester I started at local evening school and that was it. I have never stopped playing since. I was back in Germany in 1995 and was determined to persevere which I did.
Go for it you can play Bridge till you are 90 whether in a wheel chair or not.

specki4eyes Tue 25-Nov-14 12:01:05

Bridge is great and very challenging - a brain workout if ever there was one. I started playing 2/3 years ago and before my divorce, we would play regularly with another couple - always in the day and always around a nice easy meal. We even went on holiday together to play bridge.
Now I play with a varying group of pals - always in the afternoon - its not a game for the evening - takes too long if you want to have say, 8 hands.

I am rubbish at it - but its very addictive and you have to treat it as light friendly amusement amongst friends - beware the fanatical bridge players!!

Jane10 Tue 25-Nov-14 14:09:30

Sounds good - apart from the fanatical bit!! I`ve contacted a bridge club and they hope to start some classes in January. Something to look forward to after Christmas. Thanks for all your comments

Iam64 Wed 26-Nov-14 08:54:14

Do report back Jane10

When the children were young, we holidayed with friends and playing Bridge in the evening was a regular event. I'm not great with numbers, and fear I lack the competitive edge to remain focussed on what cards have been played. I'd be drifting off, remembering how warm the sea had been, how much the children had enjoyed their day. Drinking wine and playing Bridge weren't the best combination.
Having said that, I did enjoy it and seemed to have a bit of luck rather than skill.
I did have to relearn at the beginning of each holiday though [hmmm]

Maniac Wed 26-Nov-14 18:46:29

I went to a class 'Bridge is fun' about 10 yrs ago but didn't keep it up.
Had refresher class 4 yrs ago and played weekly with a small group which folded recently .
I now play on-line -on 'no fear bridge' site most days for short periods.Don't want to brave the competitiveness of a bridge club and don't want to go out at night.

Jane10 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:36:20

Sorry, me again. Just to say that in response to my email to a local Bridge club I received a most inappropriate response from the "Director of their Teaching Academy"(scary) ending in lots of kisses! This was followed up by a most apologetic email to which I replied expressing my disappointment at the lack of kisses on his last email. Looks like Bridge might be even more fun than I`d hoped!

Riverwalk Thu 27-Nov-14 12:51:07

Jane are you in London by any chance?

I could send you details of the club that I go to - you might not get any kisses there though! grin

And why does everyone keep referring to going out at night - there are day clubs!

I went yesterday for 'supervised play' at 17.30 but also could have gone at 10.30.