Gransnet forums

Chat

Perspectives

(12 Posts)
annsixty Wed 28-Jan-15 19:00:15

I must be very careful with what I post here for reasons which will become clear.

Many of us have problems and are living with difficult situations but I have had mine certainly put into perspective.

My neighbour has just been to tell us that another neighbour's son aged 25 has died after being in a ski-ing accident.
He was a lovely boy,a credit to his parents,a graduate with a very bright future and in seconds it has all gone. I just can't get it out of my mind.

My own problems have faded into nothing.

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 19:03:46

How utterly tragic, my heart goes out to you and his family. Words are inadequate.

annsixty Wed 28-Jan-15 19:11:11

loopylou thank you but hasten to add they are not close friends,just neighbours ,but best friends to my next door neighbours who are understandably devastated.

Mishap Wed 28-Jan-15 19:21:06

This knowledge that life can turn on a sixpence is so dreadful. His poor parents.

Kiora Wed 28-Jan-15 19:55:27

I know it makes us all 'count our blessing' when we hear about these sort of tragedies. His poor parents and family. It doesn't bear thinking about it does it.

GillT57 Wed 28-Jan-15 20:15:19

Some terrible events stay with you for years especially when they are so sudden. When my son told me of a pupil from his school, the year above, had committed suicide I couldnt get it out of my mind even though I didnt know him or his family. I still feel terribly terribly sad for this young man, on the start of what should have been a good life.

annodomini Wed 28-Jan-15 20:59:16

What a dreadful tragedy, annsixty. It does put things in perspectives and makes our own DC and GC all the more precious.

Deedaa Wed 28-Jan-15 21:39:00

It does bring it home doesn't it? The son of a friend of mine was found dead while on holiday in France. No reason was ever found. Such a dreadful thing to happen to a very nice person, it certainly made the rest of us think more carefully before we moaned about our problems.

Anya Wed 28-Jan-15 21:45:09

It does make you realise how fragile our grasp on happiness is.

Iam64 Thu 29-Jan-15 08:41:14

Yes, tragedies like this one serve as reminders to count our blessings, rather than list the things that irritate us.

KatyK Thu 29-Jan-15 10:35:50

annsixty - you are so right. Each time I hear of a young person dying or some dreadful tragedy it makes me realise that our problems, although worrying at the moment, are not so bad. As mentioned before, my nephew died at 16. Such a lovely boy, kind and caring.

petra Thu 29-Jan-15 14:10:41

Just reading in our local paper of a young mum ( near to us) who was struck down on Xmas eve with meningitis. She has lost both legs and her fingers.
It's just too bloody awful.