Gransnet forums

Chat

Add teeth to the Disability act 2010

(35 Posts)
DerekY Fri 24-Apr-15 09:03:00

Has anyone had the same problems with the act. It says in it that the Disabled should have the same access to public services.
Wrong when I tried to take my granddaughter to the local recreation ground to the playground but was unable on my mobility scooter because access was blocked because of kids getting on with off road bikes even though they do not pay council tax. Even disabled teenages from there local accommodation were locked in with there carers when the attendant had left. No droppings on pavements with road (only on main roads) . Do you have any similar problems?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 24-Apr-15 09:09:00

You need to contact your local authority about the playground being inaccessible to you with your granddaughter. And contact your MP about the Act not being adhered to by providing drop kerbs.

POGS Fri 24-Apr-15 09:10:35

No and I use a mobility scooter too.

Have a word with your local Parish/Town Council.

Good luck.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 24-Apr-15 09:10:52

It sounds as though your area needs separate playgrounds for older and younger children. Perhaps contact a local newspaper too?

vampirequeen Fri 24-Apr-15 09:17:01

Did the attendant lock the gates knowing that people were still in the park?

What time was it?

You need to contact your local Councillor and ask him/her to look into this for you.

GrannyTwice Fri 24-Apr-15 09:32:17

Did you mean locked or blocked or both? My opinion FWIW is to write to your local councillor on whatever authority manages the park. Copy in the local authority . I would advise not mentioning the point about not paying council tax - their parents do. The appropriate legislation is the a Equality Act 2010. It might be helpful for you to suggest solutions as you have here - eg dropping the curb ( cheap and easy) and some notices about bikes. Is there somewhere else the children/ young people can ride safely in the park? If you don't mind publicity, the local paper IME jumps at stories like this - good photo op with sad faced dgc and mobility scooter. also IME you will do all this and get anodyne letters back and nothing will change because our society is inherently disabilist Good luck - this better to have fought and lost than never to have fought at all confused - that is utter bollocks

GrannyTwice Fri 24-Apr-15 09:34:17

X- post Vamps, not every area has a parish/ town council

GrannyTwice Fri 24-Apr-15 09:34:39

Last post was to Pogs

POGS Fri 24-Apr-15 09:43:43

I didn't know that.

How does that work then,, I thought everybody had a council/councillor.

Genuinely interested to know I am not being snide or confrontational.

annodomini Fri 24-Apr-15 09:46:02

If there's no parish or town council there will be a local authority and you will have a local councillor. It might be a bit late for him/her to make a campaigning issue out of this, but from personal experience, I know that a councillor seeking re-election, or a new candidate would happily take it on and bring the press along for a photo-op. Cynical? Moi?

GrannyTwice Fri 24-Apr-15 10:03:48

Toi? Never!

GrannyTwice Fri 24-Apr-15 10:07:09

Yes - the local structures vary - here we have a district council ( who look after the park) and a county council. Some of the villages have parsh councils round here and there is a campaign at the moment to set up a town council in my town ( as the distinct council covers two towns) which in the hierarchy would sit below the district council

vampirequeen Fri 24-Apr-15 11:18:45

Good idea of Anno's to approach someone seeking re-election lol

GillT57 Fri 24-Apr-15 12:06:01

On a more flippant note....I thought that the heading meant that the OP considered teeth problems to be considered a disability...grin

Ana Fri 24-Apr-15 12:07:13

Me too, Gill, but I didn't dare mention it...wink

GillT57 Fri 24-Apr-15 12:51:44

Ana glad its not just me......grin

NannyGoat12345 Fri 24-Apr-15 13:02:06

Ha ha, I thought that about the heading too Gill and Ana, in which case most of the guests on Jeremy Kyle would be on benefits...... oh I think they still probably are anyhow, along with their lack of teeth.

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 15:14:40

I thought exactly the same*Gill*, Ana &*Nanny*!

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 15:20:59

And was about to get indignant after recent dental woes grin

Katek Fri 24-Apr-15 22:54:59

Me too..., couldn't quite figure out how teeth wouid come under the Disability Act!

Ana Fri 24-Apr-15 23:01:41

Well, having no teeth, or very few of them, could possibly put you at a disadvantage in the jobs market.

Ana Fri 24-Apr-15 23:07:22

Also (warming to the theme) if your lack of teeth made it impossible or very difficult to eat, that could possibly be classed as a disability? I'm not being facetious, it would be very distressing especially if you had dentophobia.

DerekY Sat 25-Apr-15 01:24:58

Did both not interested also Disability Minister (standard reply)

DerekY Sat 25-Apr-15 01:26:37

about 4pm the parish council were informed but it happened twice. Told by centre manager for the disabled.

DerekY Sat 25-Apr-15 01:33:40

Only went to 2 of the 5 access points one was high and low boxed bars could not get the scooter under or zig zag between either . The other was a tollgate type thing with that much welding on it I could't get the scooter under. The only thing that could get under was a skate board. there was a walking access that I could stand no chance with. Spoke to a lady from Rotherham disability that was at Doncaster. She was leaving in 2 weeks she was the advocacy for the disabled that was over 2 months ago.