Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Charles in Ireland

(111 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 22:09:07

Anyone else feel really sorry for him? He loved his uncle and there is no way he can have put that terrible event behind him. He must still hate Adams and his cronies.

The things he has to do in the line of duty!

merlotgran Tue 19-May-15 22:14:13

I don't think I would have been able to keep my anger and grief at bay. I can't stand Jerry Adams....Such a hypocrite.

Timothy Knatchbull's (Mountbatten's surviving twin grandon) book, From a Clear Blue Sky is heartbreaking.

Ana Tue 19-May-15 22:19:21

It must be some crumb of comfort to him that the Guardian's dogged and eventually successful battle to get his 'black spider letters' released into the public domain hasn't engendered the shock and horror that they anticipated.

I don't actually feel sorry for him, but I admire him for confronting what must have been a difficult exchange.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 22:24:09

Adams looked much happier than Charles. I hate Adams. I looked at his account on Twitter for a while, but he tweeted such trivial rubbish, I stopped reading it. Dreadful man.

aggie Tue 19-May-15 22:25:39

He is a dreadful hypocritical villain

AshTree Tue 19-May-15 23:03:29

I too hate Adams and felt sick to the stomach seeing him smiling as Prince Charles shook his hand. And hearing that he 'expressed regret' for what happened in 'the conflict'. And that he thought Prince Charles and he were 'of a common mind'. Seriously sickening.

Nelliemoser Wed 20-May-15 00:09:47

I don't like Adams or McGuiness but the N I peace negotiations have somehow eventually managed to secure a peace, and put an end to the worst excesses of the appalling conflict which went on in the troubles.

There was no real other option than to accept a compromise to get over this.

Lona Wed 20-May-15 08:29:03

It must have been difficult for Charles ( and the Queen too) but it's all part of the job for them.
It made me feel sick though.

Iam64 Wed 20-May-15 08:36:03

I too loathe and mistrust Adams and McGuiness but agree that the negotiations have managed to secure some kind of peace. I appreciate Prince Charles and the Queen doing their jobs properly but found it slightly nauseating to see the photographs of Gerry Adams face as he shook hands with Prince Charles.

Teetime Wed 20-May-15 08:46:10

I think Prince Charles has been marvellous and much the bigger person in all this. It really annoys the way former terrrorists are now styled ' freedom fighters'.

merlotgran Wed 20-May-15 09:44:45

DH and I were commenting on the cup of tea that Charles still clutched while he shook hands with Adams. Some of it was spilled in the saucer and we would have expected a minion to have relieved him of it.

So.....any psychologists on here with a theory?

Was it a comfort 'barrier' between him and Adams?
Did he think, Sod you, matey, I'm not putting down my cuppa?
Was he wishing someone would take it from him but they were all embarrassed by the situation?

It made for an odd and awkward looking photo.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 20-May-15 09:54:12

Yes! I agree about the cup of tea. I was so worried he was going to spill tea down his suit. None of the others had cups of tea. confused

Your theories are interesting merlot. I wonder.

merlotgran Wed 20-May-15 10:00:00

Actually, you can't go to Ireland without having a cup of tea. They INSIST!

N Ireland is even worse because they bring out the biscuit biscuit as well.

I wonder what Mrs. Brown would make of it?

'That's nice?'

Anniebach Wed 20-May-15 10:03:30

What of the murders of innocent Irish people, I agree with Adams , it must have bern difficult for both

As for the cup in hand, I assume he was offered it and held it as he talked to others in the room , doubt he demanded one be brought to him just as he was to meet Adams

AshTree Wed 20-May-15 10:06:54

I did wonder about the cuppa as well. It made the scene look less formal, much more casual. It occurred to me that it could have been deliberately staged by the Prince Charles team as if to say, "Don't imagine for a minute that I have the respect for you that would require me to put my tea down first".

I guess that's your second suggestion merlot.

GillT57 Wed 20-May-15 10:07:30

Gerry Adams makes me feel ill, his smug grinning face. He has blood on his hands, no doubt about that, but....if this charade helps to keep the peace process on track then it was worth it and I have to say my admiration for Prince Charles went up, I have always been rather indifferent to him. What I find interesting is Mountbatten's biography which I may now read; he was a Machiavellian rogue by all accounts, should be a good read.

Brendawymms Wed 20-May-15 10:15:49

my in laws lived in Mullaghmore at the time of Mountbattens death, although MiL was in Scotland at the time. Mountbatten was well liked by the village as he came for two weeks every August and that was the problem everyone knew when he was coming. He was affectionally known as Lordy.
The Shadow 5 was kept in the harbour in the summer and at a boat yard in the winter where it got a lick of paint. It was however an old wooden boat at heart.
It was known that members of the IRA lived in the area. Mountbatten did not seem to have any sort of police or security guard. It was an incident waiting to happen unfortunately.
Prince Charles is at last able to visit the place that was the scene of his great uncles death I hope he is given some privacy but it will be a media circus.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 20-May-15 10:19:50

I think I agree with that Ash. Good move.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 20-May-15 10:21:05

It was sad about the two fourteen year olds too. We mustn't forget them Well, and the old lady. sad

merlotgran Wed 20-May-15 10:35:07

I know I'm repeating myself but I can really recommend the book, From A Clear Blue Sky by Timothy Knatchbull if anyone is interested in learning the facts from a member of the family who was on the boat. It's revealing, frightening, exasperating in places (Mountbatten was very stubborn) and utterly heartbreaking. The loss of his twin brother must have been overwhelming as well as worrying about his mother's injuries and his sadness at the death of the local boy.

There are also heartwarming moments especially when the Queen steps in to help with his recovery.

This will be a sad day for Prince Charles. I hope the press are not too intrusive.

Marty Wed 20-May-15 10:41:25

Luckily Prince Charles always has impeccable manners. I would have liked to head butt Gerry flippin Adams myself but I wasn't there!

Tegan Wed 20-May-15 10:55:36

If we can't move on from the things that happened during the Troubles how can we expect the Irish to move on from the grievances that started it all in the first place? But I do agree about the way that Prince Charles has handled it. It was interesting to hear about his letters regarding the lack of equipment for the soldiers during the Iraq war because I know for a fact they were badly equipped ,and it's good that Prince Charles spoke up for them in his letters.

AshTree Wed 20-May-15 11:07:46

merlot, thanks for the book recommendation. I "looked inside" it on Amazon and read enough to know that I want to read it all, so have downloaded it.

loopylou Wed 20-May-15 18:33:35

Evil b.....d Gerry Adams, he embodies evil in my eyes. As for that smirk on his face....... I wouldn't trust him an inch.

I admire Prince Charles, I couldn't have done it.

Like others on here it wouldn't surprise me if hanging on to his cup and saucer wasn't sending a subtle message.

Iam64 Wed 20-May-15 18:47:01

Anniebach makes a good point about the innocent Irish people who died during the troubles. I can only speak for myself Anniebach, but my dislike and mistrust of the republican movement equally applies to the unionist paramilitaries. I am not disputing that colonialism created all manner of negatives that we still reap the consequences of but I feel strongly that there comes a point when we have to consign some things to history and move forward together. That's what's happened with the peace agreement and it's significant that the Queen met with Martin M and now her son has met with Gerry A. The symbolism is so important and despite my feelings about murderous paramilitaries I accept not all wrongs can be put right. I therefore accept that the meeting would have been a challenge for Gerry A as it was for Prince Charles. Congrats to both of them and let's hope the fragile peace holds.