Gransnet forums

Chat

BRAVE

(13 Posts)
Anne58 Fri 31-Jul-15 21:06:32

Hello all,

This word has been used a lot lately, and with much love, respect and compassion behind it. (Please forgive me for attaching these words, those that have used the word "brave", but I don't think I am taking a liberty in suggesting that these are the feelings that you were expressing?)

I cannot speak for the others among us that have experienced the event (the loss of an adult child) that has prompted the lovely and genuine response from other GN'ers, and I can only speak for myself and say that every post, every flowers is so very much appreciated.

The word "brave" can have different meanings for different people. I have deliberately NOT gone to my dictionary for a definition, I have instead given it a bit of personal thought, and of course I may be wrong!

For me, "brave" means making a decision, where you perhaps put others first.

Examples? Those medics who went out to help in the areas where the Ebola virus was rife. Someone who goes into a burning house to try to rescue people trapped inside. A person who tries to intervene in a street assault. I'm sure you can think of your own examples.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, your good wishes are so very much valued and gratefully received, it is true that even though the event may be some years in the past, the pain and other feelings are still very much in the present.

I can of course speak only for myself, but I believe that I am not brave, but have perhaps become resilient.

Love to you all, R.xx

downtoearth Fri 31-Jul-15 21:23:06

can I add my own thought as someone who has also been on the receiving end of such heartfelt messages for the same reason.
Brave to me means someone who chooses to commit an act of bravery to help save or enhance the life of another.
To suffer the loss of any child I think stoicism,and acceptance happen after a period of time when anger grieving and disbelief have abated and strength from inner resources help you to tread daily around the huge hole left in your life
can I offer my own sincere thanks for the warmth and support offered by so many of you who are battling your own demons and losses

pxxxxxx

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jul-15 22:45:37

Two posts that I think will give strength to others.
Thank you for this.
flowers flowers

Anne58 Sat 01-Aug-15 00:13:52

downtoearth , thank you for your post, and thank you also for your so very well expressed good wishes, to those experiencing the loss, and also to those who offer their love and support.

Heavens, if we carry on like this it will end up as "thank you for thanking me!"

I'm sure that those members who "know" me, will take that in the spirit in which it's meant.

Enough already! smile

Grannyknot Sat 01-Aug-15 06:42:57

down help you to tread daily around the huge hole in your life is a beautiful expression.

I am in the position currently of supporting my sis whose eldest son is now in truly "borrowed time" with terminal cancer. In the midst of all the heartache and sadness, I find that she is my focus. In some way, this thread has helped me to understand what she will be facing and feeling as the mother of a child that is no longer here.

flowers

PRINTMISS Sat 01-Aug-15 07:47:24

It is indeed a good place to be (here) where troubles can be shared, and friendship felt. Long may it reign.

loopylou Sat 01-Aug-15 08:43:53

These posts have brought tears to my eyes. I am nowhere near as eloquent as down but just wanted to say that my heart goes out to all of you trying to keep going in such heartbreaking situations flowers and love x

shysal Sat 01-Aug-15 09:40:10

To all in this position - ♥ and flowers

KatyK Sat 01-Aug-15 10:02:28

Beautiful posts. I agree with everything Phoenix says about the word brave. Fortunately I haven't lost a child myself but I have lost a much loved nephew (who was 16) to leukaemia and I happened to be visiting him when he passed away. Were his parents brave? They had no choice. I know there were times when they didn't want to go on but they had another small child. My nephew's mother died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 49 a few years later. The stress of her son's death was too much for her we believe (plus she was a heavy smoker). This forum is indeed a great help to people. I know it has been for me in the past. flowers for all who are struggling.

NfkDumpling Sat 01-Aug-15 14:16:33

I did look it up Phoenix and brave has many meanings besides the physically brave - including brightly coloured and native North American. I suppose we've been going with the 'Endure or withstand with courage' definition.

You may not agree! But you still all have my admiration and respect as I'm sure I wouldn't cope very well at all!

Anne58 Sat 01-Aug-15 17:46:50

Thank you smile

annsixty Sat 01-Aug-15 20:49:00

Can I offer a different view on this subject which is acceptance. In certain situations, loss for instance, this will have to come after terrible grief, but bravery comes in many forms. I am thinking of terminal illness, by the patient and the loved ones, living through it knowing what is going to happen,the loss of partners which doesn't mean death, separation from family and lots of other situations. In the end we have to accept what has happened. Acceptance of all these situations may be considered brave but it is doing the only thing most people will consider, as the alternative is too awful to contemplate.

Anne58 Sat 01-Aug-15 23:33:59

annsixty you are of course right in so many ways. When you say that the alternative is too awful to contemplate I get so tired of telling doctors, consultants etc when they ask me "do you ever contemplate suicide?" NO I would never do that, because having had to deal with the fact that my 19 year old son hanged himself, I would never put the rest of my family through the aftermath of a suicide, with all the bloody heart wrenching that follows.