Gransnet forums

Chat

I dislike posts...

(22 Posts)
thatbags Sun 30-Aug-15 19:12:57

...like this one on FB about Sir Nicholas Winton who saved a lot of Jewish children from the gas chambers:

www.facebook.com/wayne.llewellyn1/posts/10154120900686521

Ridiculous assumptions to make about nobody giving a toss and so forth. Very negative and really rather nasty.

merlotgran Sun 30-Aug-15 19:20:28

I take no notice of those like and share posts unless it's about something where I might be of help, like a missing or stolen animal.

The posters are usually full of their own importance.

absent Sun 30-Aug-15 21:12:14

People who make these sorts of posts are just being self-important: "Look at how much more sensitive and informed I am than you rabble. Click like to prove that you have an element of humanity in your make-up and to confirm what a wonderful human being I am." Sad, really.

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Aug-15 21:47:56

I once read that people "collect" likes to promote their own facebook pages, so that they can attract paid advertising, which then appears on the news feed of people who liked their posts. I don't pretend to understand all this, but I did realise that liking and sharing this stuff was not to be recommended.

janeainsworth Sun 30-Aug-15 22:25:48

I too dislike the emotional blackmail inherent in such posts. I never share them.
And you have to be awfully careful that you don't inadvertently share a post that has emanated from some horrible far-right organisation.

NfkDumpling Sun 30-Aug-15 23:03:03

Maggie is on the right line. There are people who make money from this. Apparently the more 'shares' and 'likes' they get the more advertising they attract and the more money they get. How they get money from it I don't know, but apparently they do. A lot of them are staged.

durhamjen Mon 31-Aug-15 00:37:20

I signed the petition to get his face on stamps. Otherwise he might have been forgotten about again. Did anyone else?

All the visible comments were positive about Nicholas Winterton, which was good.

If it hadn't been mentioned on here, I wouldn't have known about that weird way of mentioning him as I do not do Facebook. So I would have only known good comments about him. Is that a reason for not going on Facebook?

durhamjen Mon 31-Aug-15 00:38:57

Sorry, Winton, not Winterton.

thatbags Mon 31-Aug-15 06:33:11

History is recorded on things other than stamps. Nicholas Winton will be remembered in history books and documentaries.

thatbags Mon 31-Aug-15 07:05:59

PS in answer to the question at the end of your post, dj: no.

thatbags Mon 31-Aug-15 07:08:09

Nobody mentioned negative comments about Winton in the post I refer to. That's not what the thread is about.

Well, it wasn't, anyhow confused

ffinnochio Mon 31-Aug-15 09:25:18

I've probably become hooked-in occasionally with these types of fb posts, although I can't remember any, but overall don't engage with them because I don't like the underlying implication that if I don't like or share, then I am uncaring, or less compassionate, or someone that doesn't give a flying toss.

Hadn't really thought about the revenue aspect these types of posts engender. Rather a disingenuous way to advertise.

durhamjen Mon 31-Aug-15 23:53:39

When you look at the link about Nicholas Winton, all the posts underneath the main comment are positive about Nicholas Winton. Therefore those who posted did not take their cue from the main FB poster, which is good.
That's what I meant, bags, if you see what I mean.

thatbags Tue 01-Sep-15 06:33:10

Ah, yes, I see now. Thanks, dj.

granjura Tue 01-Sep-15 11:08:13

... posts which take no account at all of how others could possibly feel (as in the thread on East Enders and what happened to Shabnam).

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Sep-15 12:34:56

shock

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Sep-15 12:35:18

And hmm

janeainsworth Tue 01-Sep-15 14:58:10

What did happen on the thread about East Enders?
I am now quite confused.
I didn't realise this thread was actually about Sir Nicholas Winton.
I thought the post on FB about him was simply an example of the sort of posts that Bags dislikes.

durhamjen Tue 01-Sep-15 23:45:43

Are there any other examples?

Nelliemoser Wed 02-Sep-15 07:58:42

I agree that post and the poster is nasty. (I never saw any petition re getting his name on stamps)
Have any of you heard heard about Princess Alice the Duke of Edinburgh's mother? I did not know this until I saw a television program.

This from Wikipedia.

"She stayed in Athens during the Second World War, sheltering Jewish refugees, for which she is recognized as "Righteous Among the Nations" at Yad Vashem. After the war, she stayed in Greece and founded an Orthodox nursing order of nuns known as the Christian Sisterhood of Martha and Mary.
Now there was a woman who did what she could. Not on the grand scale of Nicholas Winton, but she did her best to protect others at great risk to herself as did a lot of other people.

Nelliemoser Wed 02-Sep-15 08:03:48

That should read (I never saw any petition re getting Winton's name on stamps.)

POGS Wed 02-Sep-15 10:15:13

Nellie

Yes there was a thread on the t.v forum, absolutely fascinating story isn't it.

Unfortunately thatbags a lot of people have , shall I say respectfully, a 'slightly narcassistic' tendency for self congratulation and the various social media sites gives them the platform they desire.

This young man quite obviously has a strong admiration for Sir Nicholas Winton, who doesn't , well ignoring anti-semitism and those of that persuasion. He however comes over as an obsessed individual and like so many tars and feathers anybody whom 'he perceives' doesn't agree with him but this can be seen as throwing your dummy out the pram .

He is probably a decent chap just caught up in a moment but I agree his persona does come over as me, me, me and angry and it doesn't do him any favours which is a shame when talking about the great man Sir Nicholas.