Gransnet forums

Chat

Bitchin' or Banter?

(153 Posts)
ramona Wed 07-Oct-15 17:06:53

I have "lurked" on Gransnet for a while and I am astonished at the amount of bitching going on here mainly amongst the usual crew of regular posters. Or is is just banter? I realise that political threads can get heated but even the lighter subjects often become littered with rude and sometimes very nasty comments. Or am I just too sensitive? Maybe this the norm on forums, even those for the more mature. I am new to this so don't know.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Oct-15 17:11:15

I'm so tempted to say, "there's a website called Grannynet ...", but I won't.

You just need to decide for yourself. [shrug]

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Oct-15 17:12:16

But, of course you are very welcome on here, and I hope you post very soon, and often. Sickly smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Oct-15 17:13:28

What a lovely OP to start a thread with. hmm

granjura Wed 07-Oct-15 17:15:44

ramona-it is a huge shame isn't it? I agree.

merlotgran Wed 07-Oct-15 17:17:51

I think ramona is far from sensitive starting a thread like this. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Oct-15 17:18:56

I will leave you to bitch to your heart's content.

roastchicken

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Oct-15 17:19:28

that was to the OP and gj.

Nonnie Wed 07-Oct-15 17:27:21

I think I said something similar just after I joined and was shot down in flames and told it was simply 'robust'. ramona lots will agree with you but it won't change a thing. You do get used to it though and learn which posters to ignore and which posts to avoid.

Come in and give it a go, you don't have to stay if you don't like it.

Anne58 Wed 07-Oct-15 17:32:45

I have been here since (metaphorically) GN was in black and white, so ramona I suppose I must count among the "crew of regular posters"

Yes, I have seen some very unpleasant comments/insults/differences of opinion traded, and I may of course have been guilty of doing that myself (hope not, at least not often, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) but generally I try to ignore them, although occasionally I can understand why people feel compelled to respond.

You pays yer money, and you takes yer choice!

However, I would not be without GN, and have many reasons to be thankful for being part of this community.

Anya Wed 07-Oct-15 17:38:08

Ramona if you're thinking that, as a bunch of old(ish) grannies, you have expectations of how we should react and express ourselves, then ditch your stereotypes (and critical attitude) girl and wise up. There are plenty of threads where everything is sweetness and light, and there are threads where only fools rush in angels fear to thread, and everything inbetween.

You've a bit of a nerve coming on here and saying what you did, so feel free to jump in and have your say on other threads grin

Welcome!

boheminan Wed 07-Oct-15 17:46:09

I'm apparently a dreaded 'Lurker' too - mainly because I don't join in threads I'm not particularly interested in, and won't join in the battles in the playground. At times, on putting my head above the parapet, I've been shot down in flames, or ignored (which are at both extremes hurtful). However, I've also had a lot of real support from a bunch of very wise, witty and caring women (grans or otherwise) and for that it's worth popping in and out for smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Oct-15 17:59:12

I sometimes think it's all a waste of a good Mini I-pad.

The knives come out so easily on here. sad

Ana Wed 07-Oct-15 18:04:31

boheminan, I wouldn't call you a 'lurker', you've been around for a long time and have posted quite a lot, I think! smile

Indinana Wed 07-Oct-15 18:07:29

ramona what did you expect to find here? We are all just people, such as you would meet in RL. If you have ever mixed with a large group of people, e.g. in the workplace, or at a club you may have belonged to, you must have found that some people are sweet and kind, with never a bad word to say about anyone, while others are self-righteous, self-opinionated or even downright bad-tempered and miserable. And you have all the ones in between these two extremes. Why do you think it would be any different on here?
If you take the plunge and join in the threads that interest you, and start a few of your own, I am sure you will find GN a great place to visit, with a wealth of experience and huge knowledge base among the members.
Welcome to GN smile

ninathenana Wed 07-Oct-15 18:14:01

I've read this thread but I don't want to get into the argument disagreement
I have that choice wink

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Oct-15 18:17:15

I hope that fence is comfortable.

kittylester Wed 07-Oct-15 18:32:36

I agree with Anya's post!

Anne58 Wed 07-Oct-15 18:41:45

Oh jings in real life (especially at work) my seeing both sides of things fence sitting is such that I'm surprised I can move for the splinters in my bum!

Ana Wed 07-Oct-15 18:44:16

I must say that I don't think you don't get cross on here very often phoenix - but when you do, you get very cross! wink

rosesarered Wed 07-Oct-15 18:52:14

Fences are rarely comfy places to sit!Welcome to the forum Ramona , this site is not as feisty as it looks, ( positively serene compared to some sites.)
We like to have our say, and why not, this is a chat/ debate forum.Join in the threads don't lurk.

Elegran Wed 07-Oct-15 18:52:50

That is true of several of us.

Ana Wed 07-Oct-15 18:54:22

Oops! The second 'don't' in my post wasn't meant to be there...hmm

rosequartz Wed 07-Oct-15 18:57:38

lurked - that sounds a bit sinister !

Perhaps try Mumsnet for a month or two ramona then you can come back to Gransnet and think what a lovely, kindly lot of sweet old grannies everyone is with hardly ever a rude or nasty word.

I think it is worse to be ignored.

grin

Lona Wed 07-Oct-15 19:08:41

Re 'being ignored', boheminan look at it this way, lots of us make comments but only a few get responses, on most threads. If everyone answered or commented on every other post, chaos would follow!
So, most of us get ignored a lot of the time! smile